PDA

View Full Version : Pissed off with Ebay buyers

John Stevenson
04-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Everyone has horror stories about sellers on Ebay buy give a though to what buyers have to come across.

I'm not even a 'professional' seller but just a few times seller.

So moved those few machines out the other week and listed two of them on Ebay, the big drill and the Myford grinder. Both list as buyer collects due to size / weight

Started both off at 400 as if I only got the one bid on each they would have paid for themselves. Had 34 watches on the Myford MG9 so though loads of interest, one guy rang to come and look at it.
called round, wasted my time for 1/2 hour and offered 300 for it.
Reminded him it was on Ebay for 400 but he said it hadn't sold as yet ?
Then kicked the tyres a bit longer and offered 400 so I told him to go home, reproduce then place a bid and he'd get it for 400.

Not a happy bunny, in fact that made two of us.

Then got two guys asking would I sell the internal attachment as they both had MG9's but no internal attachment.
Both guys took great delight in telling me they paid around 200 for theirs, obviously the lack of an internal attachment never clicked at why they were cheap ??

Neither was interested in the attachment at 200 and thought it expensive but could not relate at 200 + 200 = 400.

So the great day comes and I get 3 bidders and it sold for 430, what happened to the other 31 tyre kickers ?

In all fairness guy pays up straight away, would have prefered cash on collection to save having to pay paypal fees on top of listing and final fees to Ebay, at this stage now less than 400.

Week passes - nothing, contact seller and he asks can I put it on a pallet and band it down and he'll cet a carrier to collect.

Why does he assume I have banding ? i have but only plastic light weight stuff. tell him no banding, so then he wants to send two ratchet straps and for me to use these.

Anyway to save hassle I agree to bolt it to a pallet which by the time I have moved two machines, lifted it and placed it on a pallet has cost me two hours work, then takes another week for him to get a carrier.
It was only an email saying it was going to be left unattended Easter week that he made a move.
then have to load the truck, another 1/2 hours work.

So if the next heavy item gets listed on Ebay as :-

Buyer to collect due to weight and this means collect. If you can't collect don't bid.

Only exception is if you want it palletising then it's 45 extra but must still be collected within 7 days.
after 7 days uninsured storage will be charged at 10 per day.

Happy bidding. :o

vpt
04-01-2013, 02:53 PM
I am around 3-4 years ebay free now and never been happier!

flylo
04-01-2013, 03:00 PM
Sir John remember "p*ssed off is better than p*ssed on, or so they say?:p

lazlo
04-01-2013, 03:22 PM
So moved those few machines out the other week and listed two of them on Ebay, the big drill and the Myford grinder. Both list as buyer collects due to size / weight

Started both off at 400 as if I only got the one bid on each they would have paid for themselves. Had 34 watches on the Myford MG9 so though loads of interest, one guy rang to come and look at it.
called round, wasted my time for 1/2 hour and offered 300 for it.

You're breaking my heart John! For 400, it'd be worth it for me to have it shipped to Texas! :)

Jaakko Fagerlund
04-01-2013, 03:24 PM
The usual applies to sold items that are collect only and not picked up in a week: the item will be relocated outdoors in to the weather. Not on eBay, but I've once done this to a TV set one guy paid and said he would get immediately, but didn't answer phone/email/smoke signs, so after one week I dumped it outside. Got an angry guy on the door later on demanding his money back, but I said that I would do it and he can only blame himself.

I'm not a warehouse nor do I run one.

The Artful Bodger
04-01-2013, 03:58 PM
I have been watching this sort of thing on our local on-line auction site. I just did a 1000+kms drive to pick up a little lathe that was offered "buyer must collect" at the far end of the country, fortunately a trip down there was in our plans anyway.

Now the point is that little lathe got only one bid, mine, but it would have sold for twice or more if the seller had nailed it in a crate and could have quoted carrier rates to other parts of the country.

People buying stuff don't want to be bothered with the hassle packing, loading and freight especially not doing it in someone else's premises and town.

I see stuff described as "On pallet and we have forklift" attract keen bidding.

RussZHC
04-01-2013, 04:25 PM
I'm one of those 31 tyre kickers...not literally but figuratively.

I treat the "watch list" as a bookmark to sort of judge what similar items are out there and when space there runs out I put it in "wish list". If it happens often enough for one seller, I am more likely to purchase since I know, roughly, what other sort of stuff they sell and, for me, the only way shipping costs make sense is to have multiple purchases and try to fill up a shipping box.

I can only say everyone is different...it would never occur to me to offer less than the opening bid, as example.
From a buyer's view, I would say there is a huge variation in specifics within the scope of ads/auctions, some simply will not ship ("Artful" posting above, I would add, can't say how often I have had to pass on something because the seller wouldn't ship or ship to Canada, and there it sits weeks and months later or sells for only a bit more than starting bid), others want payment in 3 days, collection in a week or less, another 3 days grace w storage charges, then back to re-do the auction. I don't disagree with any of those, the seller's call.

goodscrap
04-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Good job the chap who had the DRO off the POS was not a typical ebay punter. ;)

I've sold some items on ebay, such as a tractor bonnet, collection only due to size / ability to get damage in transit, it was bought for the opening bid - to a chap from ireland, he paid and i heard nothing for two weeks until a courier knocked the door to collect it. he took one look and said sorry mate too many sharp edges etc. i spent over an hour the following evening making a frame to keep it solid and then wrapping it in card and plastic. i didn't even get a thanks or any feedback of the purchaser either. since then if it won't fit in the post-box i don't bother, i've had better sucess on the homeworkshop site :cool:

Brian

John Stevenson
04-01-2013, 05:42 PM
I have been watching this sort of thing on our local on-line auction site. I just did a 1000+kms drive to pick up a little lathe that was offered "buyer must collect" at the far end of the country, fortunately a trip down there was in our plans anyway.

Now the point is that little lathe got only one bid, mine, but it would have sold for twice or more if the seller had nailed it in a crate and could have quoted carrier rates to other parts of the country.

People buying stuff don't want to be bothered with the hassle packing, loading and freight especially not doing it in someone else's premises and town.

I see stuff described as "On pallet and we have forklift" attract keen bidding.

The UK isn't that big.
If you ignore where the immigrants live like Scotland, Cornwall and Wales you can reach all the rest within 4 hours tops.
Yes it was advertised as fork lift loading at any reasonable hours including evenings and weekends but why am I expected to do all the work on what they have bought ?
If I had added the 50 extra for time it probably would not have sold.

Scrapped the big TOS and made money on it.
So far I have sold bits off the CVA [ Monarch 10EE clone ] which tops is worth 900 here and so far it made 870 and still got the taper turning and steadies to sell which are probably worth another 500 - 600 and then the headstock, bed, saddle and apron can go for scrap, probably another 160.

At least the Meddings articulated arm drill sold well on Ebay, well off Ebay actually as Meddings bought it back for reconditioning and paid for it to be put on a pallet.

John Stevenson
04-01-2013, 05:52 PM
Good job the chap who had the DRO off the POS was not a typical ebay punter. ;)

Brian

Nice one Brian, [ Brian had the DRO off the POS ]
I did all right with the POS, got what i thought was a fair price for it in part chop on the new mill and they never even asked condition and what was with it.

I was going to keep the DRO back anyway as it was only 3 years old and 3 axis. the new mill was only two axis. Idea was to see if the 3 head would fit the scales on the mill, chances were good as they all come from about 3 factories and keep the Z knee scale back. Brian would get two S/H scales and a brand new 2 axis head.

Because the new mill has just over 4" more movement than the POS the scale was no good so Brian got three scales and I bought a new 520mm scale.

I also kept the quill speed handle back but can't use it because the new mill has a larger pinion shaft than a standard Bridgy, won't bore out because it will break into the pin hole.

Might auction this as a famous and rare POS artefact :D

lazlo
04-01-2013, 05:58 PM
I'm one of those 31 tyre kickers...not literally but figuratively.

I'm the same way -- the watch list is pretty meaningless. Not sure why any of this ire is pointed to Ebay. Just nice to know you have idiots on the other side of the Pond :)

Funny thing is, this is the one time Alistair didn't post an Ebay auction here on HSM Forum!!! :D

mike4
04-01-2013, 07:19 PM
I am probably an exception as I dont mind driving up to 1000klms to collect a large item , gets me away from the shop and customers for a day or so .

I try to arrange for couriers if I cant get away and even though I have offered to pay extra for packing , some sellers wont .

There are a lot of "bargain " hunters out there who want every thing for nothing and then complain that its not new wih a warranty.

Also there are sellers who think that their 60 year old lathe is worth thousands , when its only not worth much more than scrap value , just because the paint is shiny and all the knobs are glossy doesnt add value.

Michael

The Artful Bodger
04-01-2013, 07:31 PM
If it ever gets to the point (Heaven forbid!) where I actually start selling rather than buying I will endeavor to always include packing and delivery in the auction, not as separate items either.

Put yourself in the buyers place, you are browsing and see that nice bit of olde iron which you know weighs 3 tons. Now you have to think is it worth the hassle of organizing transport? If so what is the access like at the loading point, will the vendor be there to help you load? How much will it cost to drive there and back? So many question instead of "is it worth the $$$ to have it in my shop?"

RobWilson
04-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Dam sham I missed that John ,,,,,,,,, I would have popped doon in the van with cash in hand , even brought my own sugar lol

Rob

Mark Rand
04-02-2013, 06:14 PM
I'm off tomorrow on a 250 mile trip to pick up a 48" granite straight edge. 50 of diesel to pick up an item that went for one bid and 0.99. I'm almost ashamed to waste their time.

Did the Meddings drill have power feed John?

goodscrap
04-02-2013, 06:53 PM
when i've won stuff like that i've always given what i consider to be a fair price, if you think it's worth more offer it, even if it's just a good drink - then next time they have something to sell they'll consider contacting you direct first, ok in this case it's miles away, but you never know what other goodies they may be 'thinking' about selling, and are now put off by ebay.

offering more money opens the door to other items that they may want to sell .

Brian

spongerich
04-05-2013, 12:11 PM
You need to be a careful with local pickup and/or carrier shipping and PayPal. Unless you can provide an online tracking number, a buyer can file an "Item Not Received" claim and PayPal will refund their money. It'll be up to you to prove that the item was received... In my experience, eBay/PayPal are usually reasonable (eventually), but it can take several phone calls to get these sorts of things resolved.

On the few occasions I've listed an item for pickup, I've always insisted on a PayPal deposit and cash payment on pickup.

lakeside53
04-05-2013, 12:29 PM
A picture of the item loaded and of the licence plate can go a long way to settling a dispute. A receipt is the easy way.

Paul Alciatore
04-05-2013, 12:29 PM
John, I feel for you but you need to state the conditions up front. That is only fair to the buyer. If prep for shipment is extra, you should say so and give some indication of how much even if just an hourly charge.

On the local pick-up, I would have a delivery receipt ready for the buyer to sign.

MrFluffy
04-05-2013, 02:04 PM
So the great day comes and I get 3 bidders and it sold for 430, what happened to the other 31 tyre kickers ?

I was on the financial naughty step this month. If I'd have been better placed, I'd have done what I usually do, send a pm asking if its ok if I get my tame international fork/hiab equipped company to come get it, what loading dock access is, what business hours can it be picked up in etc. If someone wanted to charge me a hours rate to pallet something thats fair enough too, times time. I think bowland trading charged me that to put my monster tig on a pallet and strap it on, and it was already on one on the auction photo! Pikey sods.

Also sometimes I watch something to try and get a feel for what they are going for, either to sell similar or with a eye to aquire one later on when the timing is better. I'm sure a lot of other people do the same.

Not having the above info beforehand does put off last minute "what the hell, I'm in trouble anyway" bids, and even worse even though I've got a good working relationship with my transport, half the gear on ebay thats of interest isnt available outside the uk. I even struggle buying singles for the jukebox fer chrissakes. Here be dragones once the cliffs of dover are passed it seems.

One last thing, its all fine being businesslike, but If I perceve a seller is going to be a pain in the bum from their tone, I just walk on by. There's plenty more fish in the sea. If its something I desperately want, I just get it sent a relative and onward shipped nowadays after asking politely if the seller would mind putting a funny address on the package or let me arrange a courier and getting a refusal.

The Artful Bodger
04-05-2013, 03:05 PM
The sale is made or not when the potential buyer first reads the add. If the item is "pick up only" in the middle of Absurdistan the majority will opt out right there. If it is an auction the seller needs all the potential buyers he/she can attract to bid otherwise the item sells for less than its worth.

Only the seller knows how much the goods weigh, how hard it is to get the machine out from behind all the others and what is involved in packing or loading.

This is the sort of thing I like to see:-

Shipping details
$79.00 Courier Nationalwide URBAN
$115.00 Courier Nationalwide RURAL
Seller allows pick-ups
Seller is located in Blenheim, Marlborough