PDA

View Full Version : Old Gasboy Pump Rebuild

Arbo
04-03-2013, 11:45 AM
I have two of them that I am hoping to make one good one from. They are the old rotary vane, hand crank style. The vanes are some kind of black plastic that has become very brittle with age. I could buy a rebuild kit, but the cost is about 50% of a brand new comparable pump. Will UHMW be a suitable substiture for the vane material. It just needs to have decent wear properties, and be resistant to petroleum products. I will be using it for deisel fuel. If not UHMW, what would be appropriate?

Toolguy
04-03-2013, 12:04 PM
Acetal would be my choice. It machines very clean to close tolerance, is resistant to most chemicals, and good abrasion resistande.

Weston Bye
04-03-2013, 01:00 PM
How hard/brittle were the original vanes? They might have been Bakelite - much harder than acetal.
What are the dimensions? If Bakelite, I may have access to sections that you can machine to size.

Boucher
04-03-2013, 01:19 PM
Not at all sure but I thought they were carbon or graphite.

Willy
04-03-2013, 01:25 PM
Not at all sure but I thought they were carbon or graphite.

Although I have seen rotary vane gas pumps using sintered bronze, and phenolic resin containing molybdenum disulfide for wear resistance, 95% of the gas pumps I've dealt with were as Boucher said, a carbon or graphite material.

Edited to add: and yes they are brittle...don't sit on em'. LOL