PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else having problems with BALDOR motors?

KiddZimaHater
04-04-2013, 12:28 AM
Has anyone else on the Forum had problems with BALDOR motors lately?
Just asking.
Here's my story:
I bought 2 brand new motors back in February of 2010, and I've had bad luck with both of them.
I posted in another thread about my motor dying. 2 horse, 3 phase, 220v motor shorted-out on me after only 3 years on my lathe. WTF???
It's now in the Armature shop being tested.
I also posted back in July of 2010 about the start caps blowing out on my little 1 horse Baldor band saw motor. I replaced the original cap with 2 more, and they both died. I now 'push-start' my band saw. :)
I'm just seeking some insight. Is there something I should know about Baldor quality?

darryl
04-04-2013, 12:40 AM
I don't have an answer directly related to Baldor motors, but it sure seems that a lot of caps are no good these days- our local motor shop just says (about the caps) 'just bring it in and we'll give you another one'

MaxHeadRoom
04-04-2013, 12:51 AM
I heard that Baldor has been taken over by Brown-Bovari (ABB), they are usually know for quality product, unless they are using Chinese origin caps, these fail on a regular basis, try and obtain caps from a reputable US Manufactured source.
Max.

MichaelP
04-04-2013, 01:40 AM
I think Baldor motors made in the recent years are not even close to the famous Baldors of the past. The name is the same, but the quality vanished.

oxford
04-04-2013, 10:03 AM
We use a Baldor motor at work on 1 of our products. It is a 3hp 3 phase, don't know the model but it is a gold motor. I think I have yet to see one fail in the 8 years I have been there(probably around 75 motors). Maybe one but I don't know how old it is. Some of them run close to 24/7 and some are a constant start/stop.

That's all I can say, no other experience with them.

Boucher
04-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Not to hijack the thread but:
" try and obtain caps from a reputable US Manufactured source."
Do they exist?
Baldor branded start capacitors turned bad about 15 years ago. Going to higher voltage rated capacitors seems to help somewhat as does fresh stock. Before I retired we were getting better product from Grainger. Go Figure

MaxHeadRoom
04-04-2013, 11:03 AM
" try and obtain caps from a reputable US Manufactured source."
Do they exist?

The brand I have used of late has been CDE and US origin but assembled in Mexico.
It is important to look for AC Motor rated caps.
Max.

gzig5
04-04-2013, 11:29 AM
Baldor in recent years has bought out some competitors and in one case I am specifically familiar with, quality went significantly downhill under Baldor management. I think they are now owned by ABB but even if they are interested in improving the product quality, it will take time and usually considerable investment.

KiddZimaHater
04-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Funny how everyone's saying ABB bought out Baldor. I was using an ABB VFD to run the 3 phase Baldor motor when it went Ka-put!

John Stevenson
04-04-2013, 06:30 PM
A lot of ABB motors are now made in Rumania. I know this as a fact as every couple of months I get a Rumanian truck in to drop ship a lot of motors off that belong to a customer and i have to modify them.

His motors are badged up in his name but the same truck also carries ABB badged motors for other Uk customers.

lazlo
04-04-2013, 06:36 PM
I think Baldor motors made in the recent years are not even close to the famous Baldors of the past. The name is the same, but the quality vanished.

Sadly, Baldor was bought-out by ABB in November, 2010.

Stock-up on NOS on Ebay!

dmschmidt1200
04-04-2013, 08:02 PM
Funny this came up, just rebearinged one today! 30hp 3ph unit, less than 2yrs old, with korean bearings. Funniest part about it was all the corrosion inside the case, looked like maybe it was in a flood before getting installed in a Trane air handler! Bearings were wasted, put in some US made timkins.

outback
04-04-2013, 10:28 PM
I bought a1/2HP 90VDC Baldor motor on Ebay around 2010. While the motor ran OK it was noisy. One day I tore the motor down and discovered the bearings were missing on the brush end of the motor. The armature was running on the motor housing clearance.

Replacement bearings were stamped on the motor nameplate so I bought new bearings. Now the motor is so quiet, barely hear it run.

I contacted the Ebay seller and also Baldor MFG. I liked the motor with the new bearings so I did not ask anyone for anything. Just let them know what I found.

Motor still runs like new.
Jim

valleyboy101
04-04-2013, 11:35 PM
I bought a new Ingersol rand 5 hp compressor last fall. It came with a Baldor motor. I was surprise when I saw it - in a disappointed way. The service man who delivered it said he thought that they were mostly riding on their reputation. No problems yet - but .......
Michael

lazlo
04-05-2013, 05:56 AM
one day i tore the motor down and discovered the bearings were missing on the brush end of the motor. The armature was running on the motor housing clearance.

omg!!!

J Tiers
04-05-2013, 09:33 AM
There exists more than one type of Baldor motor......

If you buy "a motor" from Baldor, it could come from any two bit factory......

if you buy a premium VFD rated motor, there's a good chance if comes from a real Baldor factory.