PDA

View Full Version : Telescoping Bore Gages

Tony
04-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Somehow in the last 10 years I managed to lose one of my bore gages and, wouldn't you know it, its always the one
I seem to need.

So I'm shopping around, figured that, for the price, just get a new non-buggered set.. when to my surprise I find quite
a price range:

New Mitutoyo set: ~$215.00
New "Import" set: ~$15.00

my original set is an import. Prob paid 20-30 for it. Gets a lot of use. And now I find myself wondering if some of the
frustration with using telescopic gages (I'm not too bad with them.. but some days, I just don't have the touch) -- might
not be with the quality I'm using.

Any thoughts? Is $215 crazy for telescopic gages? Or are the import sets just junk and I don't know it because I've never
used "nice" ones?

That price is from Cromwells (UK), by the way.

Found it funny that they're available in both inch and metric sizes. :)

And yes, I'd probably just ebay a set when all is said and done.

lynnl
04-09-2013, 02:54 PM
Well, I have an import set, which I ordered from Enco and was supposed to be PEC (Product Engineering Corp), but when received was obviously NOT.
(Should'a sent them back, but needed them then.)

I also have 1 (one) Starrett. The Starrett looks better, in terms of fit and finish, but I can't tell that it operates any smoother or nicer at all.

That's the extent of my experience; know nothing about the Mitutoyu.

Boostinjdm
04-09-2013, 03:42 PM
I bought a used Starrett set off ebay for about $50. I think it goes from 5/16"-2 1/8". I've been happy so far with that.

KiddZimaHater
04-09-2013, 04:30 PM
I bought one of the 'cheap' sets from Victor Machinery, and I was pleasantly surprised.
They are 'Made in Japan', and look & feel exactly like a Mitutoyo set.
You can buy individual gages from Victor as well, for around $10.
Link: Telescoping Gages (http://www.victornet.com/report/Gages-Telescoping/534.html)

dp
04-09-2013, 05:26 PM
I bought an economy set and after polishing the works and smoothing the ripples off the crowns they work well enough. I think they're like spindexers or HF grinders. You have to work for the diamond.

Scottike
04-09-2013, 07:33 PM
I've got a set of Mituyoyos, a set of china imports, and an old set of Craftsman
along with a couple of extra Lufkin and Craftsman that came as a bonus with something
at a yard sale.
I like the Craftsman best,(well polished and smooth from use) followed by the Mituyoyos.
I could never get a feel with the ChiCom imports.
If you want to trade a Metric set for an Imperial set let me know-
All of mine are imperial!

Stu
04-09-2013, 08:16 PM
I had been using some older Ebay Starretts, which I like a lot. Recently I scored a like new full set of Mitutoyos at an estate auction for $22 (iI know, I suck) anyway I have to say I like the Starretts better. The Mitu's are very smooth, but I feel that the spring tension is less and it makes it harder to get a consistent reading. Maybe I just have to practice more with them.

Stu

Scottike
04-09-2013, 08:34 PM
. Recently I scored a like new full set of Mitutoyos at an estate auction for $22 (iI know, I suck) anyway I have to say I like the Starretts better. The Mitu's are very smooth, but I feel that the spring tension is less and it makes it harder to get a consistent reading.Stu
Yea, I noticed that too. $40.00 at a garage sale for the Mitutoyos down the tubes! My 50 yr old Craftsman are better!
but the Mituoyos are better than still better than the imports!

beanbag
04-09-2013, 10:39 PM
I would like to take this opportunity to shamelessly promote my thread on how to improve the feel and performance of telescope gages.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/58644-Telescope-gage-mod

Carld
04-09-2013, 11:00 PM
The spring tension of the telescopic gauge should have no effect on how well the telescopic gauge works.

J Tiers
04-09-2013, 11:04 PM
My 50 yr old Craftsman are better!

I had a set of "Craftsman" gages.... Turned out the "Crapsman" gages were almost 100% the reason why I was unable to get telescope gages to work for me at all. I CONSISTENTLY got readings about 5 thou UNDER size.

Well, I finally took a good look at them, and found that one end of some of the ones I generally wanted to use had small flats on them. Another one was almost flat, which I hadn't noticed, as I expected them to have a rather large radius which would be sufficient at their intended diameter.

The difference was estimated to be somewhere around the 5 thou which I was usually "off" by.

I looked at another one which is a size I don't use, and found that it had ridges and a "tit" in the middle on one side. The other arm was perfect. The flats etc were obviously there from the factory, since the un-worn plating was intact over the flats and 'tit".

So much for the "goodness" of "Craftsman" tools.

I had thought they were some other brand, but as I was putting them in the "sell at garage sale" pile, I noticed they were in fact Sears...... Almost certainly made by "General Hardware", the purveyor of a lot of "very nearly acceptable" tools.

They were replaced by some Starretts, which are no better as to "feel" , but at least have round ends on them. (yes, I did round the ends of the sears crap, but decided they were still leaving. For a low price, of course, on account of low precision).

John Stevenson
04-10-2013, 04:59 AM
Got a set of Moore and Wright's , two import sets and a PEC set

To be honest can't see a difference in any of them, usually use the PEC ones but started to use an import set as I lost the smaller PEC one.

One thing I did notice is the M&R and PEC are a 5 piece set, the imports are 6.

I must own the worlds best selection of internal measuring gear, :( because i do a *lot* of bearing re sleeving I have splashed out on internal mics, bore gauges, internal mics, you name it, I've bought it but still drop back to telescopic gauge and vernier to get close and micrometer to finish off.

MrSleepy
04-10-2013, 06:13 AM
I must own the worlds best selection of internal measuring gear

Do you have any of these. :)

I have an imperial set..Swiss...made by AG Technica...and would like to have a metric set aswell, but I have never seen any auction wise....very nice to use and the inbuilt vernier gives a direct reading.

Rob

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac180/MrSleepy123/TechnicaBoreGuage-1.jpg

LKeithR
04-10-2013, 06:31 AM
Over the years I've had two or three sets of import gauges and have always struggled with them a bit--usually had to take several tries to be sure I was getting consistent readings. I recently picked up a 6 piece Mitutoyo set at a local clearance shop--for only twenty-five bucks, I might add--and I really do notice a difference. The Mits have a nicer, smoother feel than anything else I've used and I'm much more confident when using them. I've practiced on some bores of known dimensions and I now find that I'm almost always bang on with the first reading...

Black_Moons
04-10-2013, 07:01 AM
Another trick I found with the import gages is to exercise them to wear down some of the 'crunchy' bits.

set the thumbwheel so theres a light amount of drag but they still pop out, and just push the plungers in the full way with your fingers and release 100 times or so.
Once they have worn in a little, they are much smoother to use.

huntinguy
04-10-2013, 11:34 AM
I've got a set of Mituyoyos, a set of china imports, and an old set of Craftsman
along with a couple of extra Lufkin and Craftsman that came as a bonus with something
at a yard sale.
I like the Craftsman best,(well polished and smooth from use) followed by the Mituyoyos.
I could never get a feel with the ChiCom imports.
If you want to trade a Metric set for an Imperial set let me know-
All of mine are imperial!

? is that like a metric pipe wrench?

I think you are living too close to Canada.... :p

Harvey Melvin Richards
04-10-2013, 03:17 PM
I have Craftsman, Starrett, and Lufkin. I prefer the Lufkin's because both tips move on these. On my older Starrett's and the Craftsman, only one tip will move. I do have some newer Starrett's where both tips move. I find that it's easier to find the maximum diameter if you are close to the center, which is impossible if only one of the tips moves.

dian
04-11-2013, 07:16 AM
i would like to get a sett of these gages, but my supplier doesnt have them. i found them in the u.s mytutoyo catalog, but in their german catalog thre are none. where to get a brand name set in europe?