PDA

View Full Version : McGyver is my hero

1-800miner
04-10-2013, 02:38 PM
I sent McGyver some collets in the mail. We pm'd back and forth with addresses and I found out he lives in Canada.

My daughter has a small collection of Canadian coins. When I mentioned a letter was coming from Canada she asked if she could get a dollar bill for her collection.

So I ask Mr.McGyver about sending a dollar as part of the payment.

When I received his letter a Canadian dollar was enclosed in addition to the payment.
In his letter he told me about loonies (not the kind we have in southern California).
He said that paper dollars are hardly used. Dollar coins with a loon on them is the main currency.

He went to a currency shop to buy a paper dollar for my girl.
Sir,you are a gentleman and a scholar!

Evan
04-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Paper dollars and 2 dollar bills are totally out of circulation and have been for many years. We also have the "Two-nie" which is a 2 dollar coin. I imagine we will be going to a 5 dollar coin soon.

sasquatch
04-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Great story, and Mcgyver very kind thing to do.. Some good people here!

Davo J
04-10-2013, 05:07 PM
Very nice story.
Same down here in Australia, it would be really hard to find a $1 or $2 these days, but you could probably by them for more than they are worth because of it.

Dave

The Artful Bodger
04-10-2013, 05:17 PM
I still have some Canadian notes from a visit there a long time ago. Notes with a very young looking Betty Windsor on one side and prairie grain elevators on the other.

Mcgyver
04-10-2013, 05:52 PM
hey 1-800, thanks for that and you're welcome.....it was a little thing and we have to keep the daughters happy now don't we? :)

laddy
04-10-2013, 06:53 PM
That is the kind of Goodness which everyone should hear about! A gentleman!

Elninio
04-10-2013, 06:56 PM
I sent McGyver some collets in the mail. We pm'd back and forth with addresses and I found out he lives in Canada.

My daughter has a small collection of Canadian coins. When I mentioned a letter was coming from Canada she asked if she could get a dollar bill for her collection.

So I ask Mr.McGyver about sending a dollar as part of the payment.

When I received his letter a Canadian dollar was enclosed in addition to the payment.
In his letter he told me about loonies (not the kind we have in southern California).
He said that paper dollars are hardly used. Dollar coins with a loon on them is the main currency.

He went to a currency shop to buy a paper dollar for my girl.
Sir,you are a gentleman and a scholar!

I once was short 0.67$ at at a sandwich place and had a 1$ bill in my wallet, had to spend 20 minutes convincing the indian guy to take it, he thought it was fake!

Willy
04-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Reading this thread about how both 1-800miner and Mcgyver focus on the priorities of parenting reminds me of something I read awhile ago.

Apparently a young couple and their one year old were having dinner in a restaurant. Unbeknown to them an older couple sitting a few tables away had been quietly watching them interacting with their little girl.

When it was time to pay their bill the waitress handed them this:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/250willy/GoodParenting_zpsbc594b46.jpg

Good on both of ya!

sasquatch
04-10-2013, 08:47 PM
Good post Willy, real nice to see positive things here!

Duffy
04-11-2013, 10:54 AM
Great idea Mcgyver, but did you think to ALSO include a Canadian Tire dollar just to show the young lady that we Canadians are truly strange?;)
For those on the forum who are unfamiliar with this "funney money," I will explain.
Canadian Tire Corporation is probably the largest CANADIAN store chain. It started as an automotive parts supplier back in the thirties and now carries just about everything. Way back when, as a marketing ploy, they started issuing Canadian Tire money as a form of incentive discount. It is real banknote paper in denominations of 5, 10, 25, 50 cents and a dollar. It USED to be issued as 5% of the purchase value, but as time went on, the percentage has dropped. This practice has continued, and even today, virtually everyone accumulates CTC money. At the moment, I have about 8 or 9 dollars in a drawer. To redeem it you simply present it to the cashier when making a purchase. The limitation is that it is ONLY paid on cash or debit purchases, but it can also be redeemed on credit purchases. The practice has continued for at least 50 years, so it HAS to be one of the longest running adverising gimmiks in history.
Great to be Canadian eh?:cool:

camdigger
04-12-2013, 03:23 AM
The Canuck penny is destined to go the same route as the paper $1 and $2 bills. Now what to do about the 5lbs of Canuck pennies waiting for us back home...

garagemark
04-12-2013, 07:59 AM
Great idea Mcgyver, but did you think to ALSO include a Canadian Tire dollar just to show the young lady that we Canadians are truly strange?;)
For those on the forum who are unfamiliar with this "funney money," I will explain.
Canadian Tire Corporation is probably the largest CANADIAN store chain. It started as an automotive parts supplier back in the thirties and now carries just about everything. Way back when, as a marketing ploy, they started issuing Canadian Tire money as a form of incentive discount. It is real banknote paper in denominations of 5, 10, 25, 50 cents and a dollar. It USED to be issued as 5% of the purchase value, but as time went on, the percentage has dropped. This practice has continued, and even today, virtually everyone accumulates CTC money. At the moment, I have about 8 or 9 dollars in a drawer. To redeem it you simply present it to the cashier when making a purchase. The limitation is that it is ONLY paid on cash or debit purchases, but it can also be redeemed on credit purchases. The practice has continued for at least 50 years, so it HAS to be one of the longest running adverising gimmiks in history.
Great to be Canadian eh?:cool:

While not exactly the same thing, we had stamps, and they were issued by several companies as incentive (not sure how it all tied together between businesses). Stamps were pasted in a book and then, when you had enough of them, you could redeem them for merchandise. I still have some old S&H Green Stamps and books. There was another brand, but I forget what they were called. They were gold or yellow.

gvasale
04-12-2013, 01:03 PM
There were "Plaid Stamps" way back when too.

Alistair Hosie
04-12-2013, 04:09 PM
I thought I was your hero? well then maybe not :cool: I will send you a thousand drachma if I can be your hero :cool: wow that's currently enough for a wooden match .LOL Alistair

saltmine
04-12-2013, 04:24 PM
At the rate our Mullato & Thief is spending the US economy into bankruptcy, The United States is going to need a $5 coin to use in gumball machines.

lazlo
04-12-2013, 05:09 PM
At the rate our Mullato & Thief is spending the US economy into bankruptcy

Tim, I think you need a time-out :(

1-800miner
04-12-2013, 10:31 PM
At the rate our Mullato & Thief is spending the US economy into bankruptcy, The United States is going to need a $5 coin to use in gumball machines.

Wrong hero.