PDA

View Full Version : Quick ??? from new-b

TruedBlued
04-16-2013, 10:33 PM
Hello all,
I just need to know what size hole to drill to insert a 5/8outer measurement oilite bearing.

Chuck K
04-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Hello all,
I just need to know what size hole to drill to insert a 5/8outer measurement oilite bearing.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say 0.625. Any bushings I have used have been about 0.002 oversize. If you have doubts, measure the OD of your bushing and bore your hole accordingly. I said bore...not drill. Unless you have good drills, your hole could be a few thousands off with a drill. You could drill undersize and ream the hole to size.

Chuck

JoeLee
04-16-2013, 11:28 PM
In my past experience when ever I drilled / bored a hole for an oilite bearing the same dia. as the OD of the bearing it usually required the reaming of the ID which was never a problem to do. Careful measuring and selection of hole size could of course eliminate this. Better a snug fit than loose.

JL...........

Chuck K
04-17-2013, 07:30 AM
In my past experience when ever I drilled / bored a hole for an oilite bearing the same dia. as the OD of the bearing it usually required the reaming of the ID which was never a problem to do. Careful measuring and selection of hole size could of course eliminate this. Better a snug fit than loose.

JL...........

I should have mentioned in my last post that the oilite bushing is oversize to make it a light press fit. .0015-.002 is what I normally look for. After the bushing has been pressed in place, the ID should have shrunk down and will probably need to be reamed for final fit on the shaft.

Chuck

davidwdyer
04-17-2013, 08:12 AM
I don't know if you'll be able to do that with a drill bit. They usually drill oversize.

You will probably have to use a reamer after drilling a little smaller or use a boring bar.

Of course on this forum there are many with much more experience than I, but just my two cents.

brian Rupnow
04-17-2013, 09:12 AM
First you drill undersize, deliberately. Then you ream with an "on size" reamer. Then its either a light press fit, if the bearing is nominaly "oversize" or you get out the 638 Loctite if it isn't.

JoeLee
04-17-2013, 09:21 AM
On a nother note....... you should always use a mandrel to press the bearing in. A small shaft that fits the ID with a shoulder to press against the edge of the bearing so you don't deform the edge. If the mandrel is a perfect fit to the bearing ID it may become stuck after the bearing is pressed in place. Sometimes this is a good thing as it keeps the bearing ID from shrinking eliminating the need to ream.

JL....................

bborr01
04-17-2013, 09:37 AM
Drill to 39/64 if you have a good drill bit or 19/32 if your drill bit is cutting oversize, then ream with a 5/8 reamer. Oilite bushings do run oversize to allow for press fit. Expect to need to ream the bushing after pressing it in.

Brian

Rich Carlstedt
04-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Oilite Bearings are large on the OD and the ID.
When you press them into a hole, the ID shrinks the same as the press fit interrferrence.
You do not want to ream the ID as it destroys the sintered surface somewhat.
Measure the ID of the bearing --loose, and the OD
You probably have about + .003 on each.
If so, and you want the bore of the finished bearing at .626, then make the hole .002 smaller than the OD

Rich