PDA

View Full Version : Vactra #2 for paper shredder?

Frank Ford
04-17-2013, 06:24 PM
Way oil is supposed to avoid attracting dust, so would it make a good oil for a paper shredder?

chipmaker4130
04-18-2013, 01:47 AM
It will attract dust. When I maintained a good-sized German made shredder, I found that the best thing to use was lightweight air-tool oil. You just have to apply it regularly, in our case every week.

macona
04-18-2013, 03:16 AM
Way oil attracts dust like any other oil will. I think you are thinking not holding chips and stuff like that.

They do sell a specific oil for paper shredders.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-16094/Paper-Shredders-and-Supplies/Paper-Shredder-Oil-12-oz?pricode=WU353&gadtype=pla&gclid=CJSSyfHV07YCFWNxQgodgEEA7Q

crrmeyer
04-18-2013, 09:51 AM
If you read thru the MSDS sheets of the shredder oil that is being sold out there, you will see that it is either Canaola Oil (Fellows) or R & O Turbine #22 spindle oil (Witaker Brothers shredder oil).

chipmaker4130
04-18-2013, 01:18 PM
If you read thru the MSDS sheets of the shredder oil that is being sold out there, you will see that it is either Canaola Oil (Fellows) or R & O Turbine #22 spindle oil (Witaker Brothers shredder oil).

Exactly. There is little heat generated in a properly functioning shredder, and the air-tool oil is about the cheapest 'turbine' oil you can get!

Dr Stan
04-18-2013, 01:23 PM
The bottle of Fellows shredder oil we bought says it is vegetable oil, my guess is any cooking oil should be fine.

Frank Ford
04-18-2013, 02:08 PM
Thanks ever'body i guess we'll probably continue shredding the occasional piece of waxed paper, or bring a little cooking oil from home. . .

dp
04-18-2013, 08:10 PM
When I bought some Vactra #2 it was only available by the gallon so I have enough for a couple lifetimes. I'd not hesitate to dribble some into the shredder.

snowman
04-18-2013, 08:18 PM
I used to work for an accountant and had a pretty steamy love affair with the shredder.

I used vegetable oil...not canola, not rapeseed, not EVOO....just vegetable oil.

beanbag
04-18-2013, 09:23 PM
I bet any machine oil you use, e.g. way, spindle, hydraulic, air tool, sewing machine, etc, will work equally unnoticeably.

Paul Alciatore
04-19-2013, 12:15 PM
The bottle of Fellows shredder oil we bought says it is vegetable oil, my guess is any cooking oil should be fine.

I would not use cooking oil. It WILL gum up.

garagemark
04-19-2013, 12:22 PM
I also would not use cooking or vegetable oil, unless it was made specifically for the task. Aside from it becoming gummy, veggie oil can easily go rancid when exposed to air for a long time. And rancid oil STINKS. I suspect that Fellows adds some ingredient to counter the rancidity.

Air tool oil sounds to me like the best solution if you don't want to buy something special.

Tom Curlee
04-19-2013, 11:26 PM
One thing I WOULDN'T suggest is spray white grease. At least don't apply the grease and use it immediately. My son sprayed some grease on the cutting blades and fed a piece of paper through the machine. Unfortunately, he was leaning over the shredder when a large ball of fire blew out of the unit. Fortunately, all the damage he got was some singed hair and some very minor flash burns (great timing though, just before a job interview!). I checked the can and found that the propellant was a mixture of heptane, butane,and propane, some (or all) which were heavier than air. The propellant pooled in the bottom of the unit and was ignited by either the motor or a switch.

Spray it on and fan out any propellant.

oxford
04-20-2013, 12:03 AM
Would a silicone spray work? I don't think it would attract dust but may not lubricate like an oil would.