X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeremy13
    • Apr 2009

How would you cut this?

I ground an old carbide boring bar that had previously broken to do this test in aluminum. And I bottomed it out and broke it. The specs are 1.50” diameter and .75” high with a 60degre cone. And in grade 5 Titanium.
  • Forestgnome
    • Sep 2009

Did the tool come into contact on three sides? I could see that as a problem. That's a tricky cut! I would be tempted to use a non-piloted hole saw in the tailstock to cut a clearance channel to just short of the bottom before using two different tools to cut the wall and the cone. Don't know how it would work though.

Comment

Or rough out the inside on a rotary table.

Comment

• jeremy13
        • Apr 2009

I was thinking maybe using one of the face grooving tools. And cut the profile with it, could use a round nose insert. But I haven’t found the right one yet. Or have any experience with one. Might try it, if I can find one cheep on sucker bay.

Comment

• MrSleepy
          • May 2006

Can it be made as a two piece item with the cone bolted to the middle.

Is this for a copper SC cone ?..

Rob

Comment

• tmc_31
            • Sep 2008

Jeremy, you could use a trepanning tool to cut a groove. Then a small (1/4") triangular carbide tool to hog out the cone in the middle. An alternative to the trepanning tool would be a rotobroach (a carbide hole saw). The rotobroach might work better due to the depth of the initial groove.

good luck,

Tim

Comment

• jeremy13
              • Apr 2009

The hole saw or rotobroach is an idea. Did I mention I need 60 of these? If it would be feasible I would have a forming die made stamp it out of plate.

MrS Nothing exciting like a SC cone. But if I have a die made it could be used for that

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy13 View Post
                The hole saw or rotobroach is an idea. Did I mention I need 60 of these? If it would be feasible I would have a forming die made stamp it out of plate.

MrS Nothing exciting like a SC cone. But if I have a die made it could be used for that
                I've never cast titanium, but could this be a case of using lost wax casting?

Comment

• Evan
                  • May 2003

Looks like a job for explosive forming. You are the only person on this site that I know of that is equipped to experiment with that.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• jeremy13
                    • Apr 2009

Evan I usually use too much and have to dig the piece out of the ground. It hasn’t rained much, might be some hard digging. But that might be on option.

Comment

• RussZHC
                      • Mar 2010

Maybe sort of like forestgnome's question but does the cone meet the "sidewall", at its base? Forming a sharp interior corner/point, or is there a flat between the base of the cone and the "sidewall"?

Comment

• jeremy13
                        • Apr 2009

It has a nice big .062rad wear the wall and cone base meat.
                        Sorry I missed that question forestgnome Yep I hit the three sides at the same time. I thought I had more relief in the tool.

Comment

• macona
                          • Aug 2006

Just a cnc job with a trepanning tool. No big deal. Any shop with a good cnc lathe could bust out 60 of them pretty quickly.

Melting and casting of titanium is usually done in a vacuum furnace.

Comment

• K Barton
                            • Dec 2008

Depending on the circle diamater the may be a face grooving tool avaviable from Carboloy, Kennametal or Manchester tool, there are different projection lengths avaiable. A work I use one from Carboloy which I have somewhat modified as the arc diamater that we need was not avavaible. I orderd the closest size that was made then hand ground the arc that I needed one the insert seat support, leaving the seat area untouched. I use this tool to undercut a shoulder on parts that we make. The inner diamater of the undercut is 1.9375" along an area turned for a bearing to fit uppon. The insert is a double ended LCMF A250 R*****, this gives us a .250 Dia under cut, with a depth of .125. I think that there are other radiuses aviable, dont have catalog here at home. I do know that the other companies that I mentioned also make similar face groove tooling, do not know cost off hand.

Ken

Comment

• dian
                              • Mar 2010

so what is that, pistons for brake calipers?

Comment

Working...
                              X