PDA

View Full Version : Question on Sheldon lathe...

IdahoJim
04-21-2013, 04:17 PM
I'm looking at a Sheldon lathe, and was wondering what type of spindle bearings they had? The Model # is um56B
Thanks,
Jim

JCHannum
04-21-2013, 05:03 PM
They use tapered roller bearings in the spindle.

IdahoJim
04-21-2013, 05:53 PM
Thanks, JC, I appreciate the help.
Jim

Bill Pace
04-21-2013, 07:37 PM
Jim,
You will certainly want to join the yahoo group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sheldonlathe/ - it is a good group, with a "guru" that worked at Sheldon for some 30 odd years and is an unbelievable source of info, from A to Z.

Sheldon made some nice lathes...

IdahoJim
04-21-2013, 11:53 PM
Jim,
You will certainly want to join the yahoo group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sheldonlathe/ - it is a good group, with a "guru" that worked at Sheldon for some 30 odd years and is an unbelievable source of info, from A to Z.

Sheldon made some nice lathes...
Thanks, Bill....I've about decided not to go look. The lathe is down near Salt Lake City, and is about a 400 mile drive, round trip. It's a 13 x30, and I really wanted a 36". I may call the guy tomorrow and see which mounting it has. If I have to completely retool from my heavy 10, I may not bother with it. Some of the Sheldon models had a threaded spindle and some had the camlok.
Jim

JCHannum
04-22-2013, 08:40 AM
The UM56B is the underneath drive with 8 spindle speeds shiftable while running. It has a 56" bed with 34" between centers. The threaded spindle is 2-1/4"-8.

The next larger Sheldon is the 70 inch bed with 48" between centers. These are few and far between. I just measured mine and the 34" dimension is accurate. You can squeeze a bit more by letting the tailstock overhang the end of the bed if need be.

Forestgnome
04-22-2013, 02:13 PM
A camlock spindle on an early Sheldon is very rare. The Heavy 10 is surprisingly close to the Sheldon. I think the 2-1/4"x8 spindle thread is the same, and I bought a Heavy 10 steady rest that fit my Sheldon perfectly.

chipmaker4130
04-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Maybe it isn't so early. My EM70 has a D1-4 spindle. If it is a later model with hardened, ground ways in good shape I wouldn't write it off for a few inches in bed length unless you frequently need that length. You could probably make an adapter for camlock to threaded, but that would eat up another inch of length. These just don't come up very often. Also, they do have a fairly good sized through-hole.

Jim, I work out of SLC and will be going up there again tomorrow afternoon. If it isn't way out I might be able to go check it out for you. I'd need to look tomorrow evening or Wednesday morning. You can PM me if you want.

Gordon

IdahoJim
04-23-2013, 10:09 PM
Many thanks for the clarification, guys. I never did call the guy. Just didn't want to drive that far, and find out there was something wrong with it. The pics look pretty good, but who knows?
Gordon, I'll send a PM...thanks.
Jim