X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cuttings
    • Mar 2013

Machining books

I assume that we all have quite a collection of Machining books.
    I for one, having lots to learn, I pick up any book that looks like I can gain some knowledge from.
    I have several books published as Workshop Practice series published by Special Interest Model Books in England.
    I just recently got one on Tool and Cutter sharpening and another called Metalworkers Data Book that is a wealth of information.
    These books are available from The Book Depository.com at a very reasonable rate and the shipping is free anywhere in the world.
    I managed to pick up a copy of the Machinist Handbook - 19th edition at a used book store - the bible
    I also got The Machinery,s Handbook Pocket Companion in a Barnes and Noble last year.
    Found it to be a good concise reference.
    Anybody else got some other favorites?
    Larry - west coast of Canada
  • dp
    • Mar 2005

Lots of free ebooks out there, too. Besides Google books there is this odd but interesting search engine: http://www.osun.org/

Comment

• Hot Bob
      • Jan 2010

Machine Shop Practice Volume I & II by K. H. Moltrecht

Machine Shop Trade Secrets by James A. Harvey

These two books are opposite ends of the spectrum for machining. Moltrecht's books are serious old school tomes on machining theory and standards. Harvey's book is a modern, down and dirty, tips and tricks guide to get things done quickly and efficently in the shop.

Bob

Comment

• MaxHeadRoom
        • Apr 2010

Another really good cheap world wide source is the Abe Books clearing house, I have got some really good deals in the past.
        Max.

Comment

• chevy3755
          • Mar 2010

Abe books is good source

Comment

• gcude
            • Jan 2009

Metalworking Sink or Swim by Tom Lipton is very good. Excellent companion to Machine Shop Trade Secrets as Metalworking Sink or Swim covers fabrication techniques as well as machining.
            Cheers,
            Gary

Comment

• PonderCreekStudio
              • Mar 2013

A few months ago I downloaded for free in PDF format a 1916 copy of Machinery's Handbook from Google Books. I have the 27th edition in real book form. It's fun leafing through (on a computer monitor) the older version. Google and other sites have huge collections of free out-of-copyright books available on every topic imaginable, including lathe and mill work and blacksmithing, et cetera. As long as a fellow isn't using computers to control his machinery, most of the old material is as applicable today as it was when written 100 years ago.
              A man studies until he's seventy and dies a fool.

Comment

The US Navy's Machinery Repairman 3 & 2 http://archive.org/stream/machineryr...95mbp_djvu.txt and the Machinery Repairman 1 & C http://archive.org/stream/machineryr...38mbp_djvu.txt

Comment

• Ohio Mike
                  • Jan 2009

Not a comprehensive list by any means but each is worthwhile. Not that that you'd need all of them since many overlap.

Machine Shop Practice, Volumes 1 & 2, K. H. Moltrecht
                  Machine Shop Training Course, Volumes 1 & 2, Franklin D. Jones
                  Machine Tool Operation, Volumes 1 & 2, Henry D. Burghardt
                  Machinery’s Handbook
                  How To Run A Lathe, South Bend Lathe Co.
                  The Starrett Book for Student Machinists, L. S. Starrett Co.
                  Turret Mill Operation, John G. Edwards
                  Lathe Operation and Maintenance, John G. Edwards

A note to anyone shopping, many are available from Enco.
                  Mike
                  Central Ohio, USA

Comment

• John Stevenson
                    • Mar 2001

Milling and milling machines, Published by Cincinatti

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

• becksmachine
                      • Feb 2010

Shop Theory (?) Henry Ford Trade School.

Dave

Comment

• Elninio
                        • Oct 2004

Is there a book like the 'machinery handbook' but for electronics instead? not looking for microelectronics, but high voltage stuff (transformers, welders, etc)

Comment

• bobw53
                          • Jan 2006

This is a fun one, lots of neat old pics on how they "used to do it", and just a pile of information.

Comment

Originally posted by Elninio View Post
                            Is there a book like the 'machinery handbook' but for electronics instead? not looking for microelectronics, but high voltage stuff (transformers, welders, etc)
                            Check out Audel's technical books. I'd be willing to bet they have something. You may also want to do a Google search for military training manuals such as the Navy's Electrician Mate 2 & 3 or the EM 1 & C. I also understand the Air Force has good to excellent training manuals.

Comment

• J Tiers
                              • Jan 2004

Lindsay had re-printed a set of books by (IIRC) Robert Smith, which were quite good. They may be findable on ebay or whatever, now that Lindsay is verblungent.
                              CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                              Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                              Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                              I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                              Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Working...
                              X