PDA

View Full Version : Help I.D. these boring heads

TruedBlued
04-25-2013, 11:27 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370798926969?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I just bought these, but will need to find a MT2 arbor for each. I'd like to get the arbors sooner than later, but do not know the thread to fit these.

Pherdie
04-25-2013, 11:35 AM
As near as I can tell, the Moore shanks appear to be integral (a one piece unit). Therefore there would be no simple way to convert to Morse....

Toolguy
04-25-2013, 11:52 AM
There are wrench flats on both, indicating that they were screwed on and tightened with a wrench. That means they can be screwed off too. It might be a good idea to let them soak with penetrating oil for a couple of days first. Once off, you can see what the threads are and order new ones accordingly.

Arthur.Marks
04-25-2013, 12:18 PM
The right/bottom-most one is a Chandler-Duplex. Never seen the other one before.

TruedBlued
04-25-2013, 01:29 PM
Thanks, Chandler looks like a J head, maybe I done good for once.

ammcoman2
04-25-2013, 06:45 PM
The bigger one does look similar to the Chandler-Duplex I got a few years back. Mine has a 1/2-20 thread on it so I made up a straight shank and a #2 MT one (from a purchased blank arbor).

It took some persuading to loosen the Moore shank. Be careful about gripping the barrel of the boring head itself. There is an internal gear in the housing for the facing part and you sure don't want to get that oval. IIRC I used a strap around the body and set the shank in the vise using blocks against the flats.

Geoff

TruedBlued
05-09-2013, 04:30 PM
Happy days! The traversing one's shank does come off!
It was made by Maxwell.

David Powell
05-09-2013, 10:59 PM
Happy days! The traversing one's shank does come off!
It was made by Maxwell.

After having one spectacular disaster when using a boring head turning in the reverse direction to usual because I was in a hurry and used a wrong handed tool in one I resolved to permanently alleviate the matter by locking the threads with Loctite. I used the Loctite intended for cylindrical fits and do not expect anyone would get the arbor off the head short of heating with a large torch. To make the purists happy my boring heads are offshore cheapies, not real quality ones. regards David Powell.