PDA

View Full Version : OT: ipad

loose nut
04-25-2013, 06:53 PM
Last week I asked for opinions on tablets. Yesterday I bought an ipad 4, freakin' awesome.

large size book are completely readable.

j king
04-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Yep. I received one at Christmas and have almost ignored my laptop since. I really like its weight for all my work travel. I can even do my expense reports with receipts with this pad and the attached receipts are away better than my neat receipts scanned copies.love it too.A plus is my iPhone and pad update and sync to each other and I don't do anything to do that. Fantastic for the non techs like me.
Only bad thing is I can't view videos that use flash...sucks...jim

lazlo
04-25-2013, 07:35 PM
Only bad thing is I can't view videos that use flash...sucks...jim

When monopolies collide... :D

Paul Alciatore
04-25-2013, 08:26 PM
Congrats on your new pad.

I have been thinking about getting a pad of some type. What I want to know is are there any CAD programs that work on a pad and Windows too. I would like to be able to work on projects while I am sitting in waiting rooms or wherever. Excel would be a must also, again, with compatible files.

fjk
04-25-2013, 09:15 PM
I have been thinking about getting a pad of some type. What I want to know is are there any CAD programs that work on a pad and Windows too. I would like to be able to work on projects while I am sitting in waiting rooms or wherever. Excel would be a must also, again, with compatible files.

There probably are such programs, for both iPad and android and windows pads.
I have apples spreadsheet program on my iPad (dont know if it is excel compatible) and don't like using it; it's not the program, it's the user interface of the iPad, I just don't like it for lots of typing, etc. I imagine id have the same complaints if I had one of the others.

Looking at stuff and entering small amounts of stuff is no problem though. Again, I expect the same for iPads, androids, and windows tablets.

Ymmv

Frank

Evan
04-25-2013, 11:11 PM
Flash on the I-Pad:

http://ipad.about.com/od/Productivity-Apps/tp/How-To-Play-Flash-On-The-iPad.htm

Evan
04-25-2013, 11:23 PM
For Android equivalent Excel, Word and Powerpoint compatibility I have SoftMaker Office for Android. I have just purchased it and have yet to try it but I have been using SoftMaker Office for Windows since the 2008 version. I am now up to the 2012 version for a total cost so far of under $100. In my opinion it is superior to MS Office and is very compatible. The spreadsheet is virtually identical including BASIC support. The Word equivalent is much more responsive and I have used it to create a document of 250 pages with numerous graphs and images. No slow down at all regardless of document size and in all it seems far more efficient. It is also extremely customizable and supports all the features of MS Office. Best of all the price is right. The Android version costs about $30. The license allows you to run it on three machines.

http://www.softmaker.com/english/product_en.htm

It is also available for Linux and the customer support is excellent the one time I needed it. Just a satisfied customer.

martik
04-26-2013, 12:29 AM
KINGSTON office is free. Basic android tablets are around $100 these days

dp
04-26-2013, 01:48 AM
When monopolies collide... :D

It's more a matter of proprietary technology and market share rather than a monopoly, but the practical difference is indistinguishable. The internet is an odd player in the free market because common tools are desirable and while common remain proprietary at this point. This is one of those places where the government can step in and say with all the authority of the millions of rounds of bullets the TSA has been buying: "Gentlemen - these rails, to be laid on the soil of the United States of America, shall have a specified spacing, height, cap width, base width, crown, and laden capability."

And should they not meet that standard that railroad company loses the right to rolling stock in these 50 states. Same with essential data distribution tools. We all expect common and compatible multi-media and we don't want to have to see the "You need a plugin" message. The government set the standards for the telcos, highways, roadway signage, radio, and rail, and can do it for the information highway, too. If it is not for pay content it bloody well will meet these standards for FPS, audio fidelity, lowest commonly available bandwidth, and will run on common desktops free of charge. If you put it on the net you are obliged to ensure the visitor can see it. Free or not.

Black_Moons
04-26-2013, 03:58 AM
It's more a matter of proprietary technology and market share rather than a monopoly, but the practical difference is indistinguishable. The internet is an odd player in the free market because common tools are desirable and while common remain proprietary at this point. This is one of those places where the government can step in and say with all the authority of the millions of rounds of bullets the TSA has been buying: "Gentlemen - these rails, to be laid on the soil of the United States of America, shall have a specified spacing, height, cap width, base width, crown, and laden capability."

And should they not meet that standard that railroad company loses the right to rolling stock in these 50 states.

And so, The size of the space shuttle boosters where determined by the width of a romen horses ass.
Letting the government enforce standards is not always a good thing. Especialy not when it comes to the internet.

John Stevenson
04-26-2013, 04:08 AM
I have a few apps on my Ipad.
Machinist calculator, works just like the hand held but can't loose it and it's cheaper.
Numbers which works like Excel.
Pages, which is like Word, think these were 7 each but installed on phone and pad.

Also got one called CAD view from fast cad which lets me just view drawings but in all fairness i have not been down the path of looking for an actual cad program as I had the phone first, pad second and the phone is limited by it's size.

This looks interesting, but not released yet.

http://www.orangejuicestudios.com/index.html

taydin
04-26-2013, 04:16 AM
What I want to know is are there any CAD programs that work on a pad and Windows too.

There is Autodesk Force Effect for iOS. I have used it about 6 months ago on my iPhone to validate my scissor lift. It is extremely buggy and frustrating to use, but didn't see any alternatives at that time. I hope Autodesk makes a desktop version of it that doesn't take an arm and a leg to buy.

philbur
04-26-2013, 05:59 AM
I don't think the ipad is much fun for anything that benefits from mouse or especially keyboard type input. I think if you want to use normal type applications then the Microsoft alternative is possibly the way to go.

Phil:)

Excel would be a must also, again, with compatible files.

lazlo
04-26-2013, 10:10 AM
It's more a matter of proprietary technology and market share rather than a monopoly

Apple supports Flash on MacOS, and could on iOS if they wanted to. They don't support Flash on the iPhone for the same reason the iPhone has really sh!tty maps: because of cross-licensing battles with Adobe and Google.

I don't think the ipad is much fun for anything that benefits from mouse or especially keyboard type input.

Agreed. I run a Nexus 7 and a iPad, and they're basically read only devices. They're great for reading email, digital copies of Model Engineer, surfing the web, but lousy for entering text. Modifying a spreadsheet is especially irritating.

That said, CAD could be done in a reasonably elegant way on a tablet. I've played with AutoCAD on Android, and it's not bad. I just have a hard time adjusting to AutoCAD's 1980's interface. If you're an AutoCAD guy, you'll probably love it. The Android and iOS versions also have group-based sharing and annotation features which are pretty slick.

philbur
04-26-2013, 12:13 PM
How do you accurately pick-up on an object or drag a point etc, etc. A mouse gives you virtually pixel precision, if your eyesight is good enough.

Phil:)

That said, CAD could be done in a reasonably elegant way on a tablet. I've played with AutoCAD on Android, and it's not bad.

madwilliamflint
04-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Indeed. I've got a couple Android pads, one with an external "full sized" keyboard. They're wonderful content consumption devices. But despite the fantasies of "futurists", the touch-screen interface just isn't robust enough for real content creation.

Evan
04-26-2013, 01:14 PM
I am running a Rockchip 808 Android computer on a 24" HDMI Sony 3D monitor. It is strictly keyboard and mouse and nearly all applications work just fine without a touch screen. It works amazingly well and for most purposes it is all the computer the majority needs. Internet, all the apps on the Play store and elsewhere work as long as they don't depend on phone functions or special sensors. The best part? It cost $50 with another $40 for 32 gigs of class 10 storage. Hook up any USB mouse and keyboard to any HDMI display and you have a computer. Bye bye Microsoft. The writing is on the... screen.

rohart
04-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Phil, I'd prefer to say a pointer gives you the precision. I'm sitting with a laptop, with one of those little thumbpads (?) that look rubbish, but actually work.

Considering that I can't switch our kitchen weigher on because of what machining does to my epidermis, I think it's a wonder the thumbpads work at all. But they're just as good as a mouse that hasn't had a wash and brushup for a month or so.

MrFluffy
04-26-2013, 01:22 PM
You can buy android monitor back devices as evan describes pretty easy, and lots of asia does their computing like that now. Personally you can prise my linux running lenovo q180 and logictech marble mouse/microsoft natural keyboard + a wacom touchpad out of my cold dead fingers. Android is a pain for doing more complex stuff, you have to build a toolchain to compile things when theyre not in the app store (hello nfs support), linux it is not.

Tablets are great consumption devices, we have three in the house at the moment, but for work beyond browsing the news/forums in bed or while sat down at the couch theyre a bit frustrating. Mines at the side of my bed where it lives and it has flash etc supported on it.

MrFluffy
04-26-2013, 01:23 PM
If youve got finger sensitivity issues, the little rubber tipped pencils sold on ebay as touchpad stylus improve things a lot, and the soft rubber end stop them damaging the screen like a normal stylus would if you jab a bit hard.

aostling
04-26-2013, 01:27 PM
I bought the original iPad, in September 2010. It served me well for two years, but when the iPad Mini came out i decided to get it, for its significantly lighter weight. I am very happy with this new purchase.

I put the iPad (original) on eBay, and was disappointed when the winning bidder turned out to live in Omsk, Siberia. I had my doubts about the Russian postal system -- a camera I'd sold to a buyer in Moscow took three weeks to get to its destination. But the air parcel to Omsk took two months. I had given up hope, and was certain that I was going to have to give a full refund. But he advised patience, and we were both rewarded.

Evan
04-26-2013, 01:57 PM
This is my main Android machine now and it may well become my reading machine of choice. The resolution is excellent. The only downside to the Sony 3D monitor is that it has a glossy screen. It amazes me that anybody would put a glossy screen on a non touch monitor. Still, I couldn't refuse at half price when a local store went out of business.

As I wrote, for the vast majority, Android is all they need.

http://ixian.ca/pics10/rockchip1.jpg

http://ixian.ca/pics10/rockchip2.jpg

http://ixian.ca/pics10/rockchip3.jpg

lazlo
04-26-2013, 03:19 PM
I bought the original iPad, in September 2010. It served me well for two years, but when the iPad Mini came out i decided to get it, for its significantly lighter weight.

I'm still struggling with the right size: I switch back and forth between the 7" Nexus, and the 10" iPad. The 7" tablets are ideal if you're carrying it around with you, but it's a little small for reading, especially something like Model Engineer with CAD drawings. The 10" is perfect if you're sitting on the couch or in bed...

Oddly, the only tweener tablet I know of is the Kindle Fire HD. I was actually thinking of buying one and rooting it...

johnd
04-30-2013, 02:54 PM
I have the 3rd generation ipad with retina display and the only complaint I have is no Flash or Java. Sure, they say those are obsolete technology but I feel like I bought a Ferrari to drive coast to coast only it will not run in any state that touches the Mississippi River! I have tried to bid on Proxibid type online auctions and the ipad will NOT do it. I have the Photon browser but everything seems to work so clunky with it that I avoid it. I use the ipad mostly for selling, and buying, on eBay with the free "eBay for ipad app" and its fantastic. I can sit out in the garage doing listings of my junk and take the pictures with the ipad built in camera and they go right to the listing. Quality of pics is incredible even in poor light conditions. No taking pictures with a camera and uploading them to photobucket type bs. Try to add pics to Forum posts and find they use Flash. People tell me to upload pics to my computer (a 10 year old Dell dinosaur that I never turn on anymore), and create photobucket files, give each photo a name, select from files, upload from there, clickety clunk, clunk, clunk, etc. Until I can simply point the ipad I'm typing on at whatever I want to add a picture of I will not be posting photos with posts. I also have the Apple TV adapter thing so I can view all my photos, and incredible quality videos, and watch YouTube videos on the big HD TV.

dp
04-30-2013, 03:18 PM
Apple supports Flash on MacOS, and could on iOS if they wanted to.

Apple can't prevent Flash from running on the MacOS but surely would if they could but that is still not a monopoly because there are viable competitors to MacOS (and iOS). There are also viable competitors to Flash so again, not a monopoly. They are, however, proprietary (in my opinon unreasonably so), and because of ubiquity of playable media, are in high demand. When that demand isn't met then claims of monopoly come out of the woodwork. My larger complaint is the iOS/MSFT/'droid devices are all managed devices which is the worst kind of proprietary lockin. They should all come with a root button to transfer management responsibility over to the buyer.