PDA

View Full Version : OT: I won my appeal

Evan
04-27-2013, 07:39 PM
After four years of struggling and fighting the government for a disability pension they finally gave in and awarded me a disability pension effective from year 2000. Unfortunately, existing law only permits them to back pay starting from May 2008 but that is still 60 months they owe me. It replaces my regular Canada Pension that started in 2009 but in all they will be paying me something close to $30,000 back pay.

This in part is very likely due to the actions of Prime Minister Steven Harper and his Ministers. The HRSDC (Human Resources and Skills Development Canada) was clearly in need of an overhaul. That is exactly what happened as of April 1 this year. Within 3 weeks under the new system my pension was granted.

quasi
04-27-2013, 07:42 PM
good for you Evan, if you lived in Quebec or points farter east you would have had it 13 years ago.

lugnut
04-27-2013, 07:54 PM
Good for you Evan, who said that you can't fight city hall? :D

sasquatch
04-27-2013, 07:56 PM
Great news,, there are people who just get fed up and "Give up" trying, sad when disabled people have to fight like hell for something that was put in place for those that need it.
Case in point is a near neighbour, it has been going on now for 3 years with him, next month is a court date to get this settled.
Guy has been living on less than $500.00 per month, (alone, not married, 60 years old, steel plate in his head, totally messed up back.)

flylo
04-27-2013, 07:58 PM
Congrats my friend! Well done;)

Peter.
04-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Well done Evan. All round yours for Tiffin then?

rohart
04-27-2013, 09:04 PM
Very well done. An excellent result. You'll be buying tonight, then ! Doubles all round !

Evan
04-27-2013, 09:59 PM
The sad thing about this is that you win by proving you are really losing. Still, it will make a very big difference to us. If you stop by the steaks are on me since I don't drink.

Black_Moons
04-27-2013, 10:16 PM
Congrats evan! Good to see you got whats due. Sucks about not getting anything from before 2008 though.

sasquatch
04-27-2013, 10:26 PM
Evan here in Ontario,, from my understanding of the system is:

If you become disabled,, FIRST you must apply for welfare, while the system decides if you really are disabled.
Next, If you are approved for disability, you can collect that up till age 60, then you are switched over from the provincially funded disability, to CPP,(Federally funded,) then after age 65 you are eligible for the additional monies from "Old Age Security" plus the CPP.
Hope i have that correct as provincial rules/procedures differ across the provinces.

Evan
04-27-2013, 10:56 PM
Ontario has the same rules as here in respect of the Federal Disability Pension. Only Quebec is different. Welfare has nothing to do with the Disability Pension. Welfare is a Provincial issue, Disability Pension is federal. A Disability Pension may be granted at any age up to 65 and it depends only on your ability to work, having made sufficient contributions to the system in the previous six years, and not having gainful employment income since leaving your last job. Gainful is defined as anything in excess of the maximum possible disability allowance which is around $13,500 per year at this time. The system has now changed dramatically but those particulars remain the same. The provincial plans differ greatly but the federal plan is the same for all but Quebec. In my case I started taking my Federal Pension at age 60 so when I am paid out I have to pay back the regular pension. The effect is that they give me the difference between the two. The disability pension is slightly under twice the regular federal pension. For the full year before I started my regular pension I will be paid the full amount. I will continue to collect until I am 65 in about 15 months. Then I can start OAS.

I am also recently approved for the federal disability tax credit which reduces my taxes by a fixed amount regardless of income. The Tax credit is entirely separate with very different and limited criteria. Not many people are eligible. It has nothing to do with working or the amount of money you make. It is intended to help people that have significant extra expenses. Try pricing gluten free bread some day. $7 for half a loaf. My oxygen machine retails for about $3000. We drove about 6000 kliks last year just to see doctors. Not all my meds are covered either to the tune of about $1500 per year. If it were available there is a med for narcolepsy but it isn't covered either. I could obtain it from the US since I am a citizen but it costs $35,000 per year. It makes it possible to have true deep sleep instead of dreaming twice as much as normal, which is what I do. Not going to happen though.

Elninio
04-28-2013, 02:21 AM
Thank god; you payed taxes all these years and it can really help you out --And if you were to lose means of income or house burned down, you would be really fkced without it.

wtrueman
04-28-2013, 02:22 AM
Congrats to you Evan. I hope to be back to see you in the upcoming summer. Wayne.

mayfieldtm
04-28-2013, 03:03 AM
Congratulations Evan! Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Tom M.

Evan
04-28-2013, 03:46 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing you again Wayne. Check ahead of time to make sure I am in town.

The amount of work I did to make this happen is hard to imagine. I don't know how much difference it all made but I did succeed. I have written about 400 to 500 pages of documentation and legal arguments. I have read about 12 gigabytes of medical studies and related material. I have spent thousands of hours on this project and the reason is that when somebody screws me around and I see any possibility of doing something about it I will not quit. In these sort of matters I am more stubborn than a mule and there is nothing "they" can do to stop me from continuing until there is a clear and final end to the matter.

This has been the most difficult and longest single project I have ever undertaken. I am exceptionally lucky to have a wife that understands me and never lets me down. She is the most wonderful and beautiful woman in the world and means everything to me. Now that it is over we both have a very odd feeling. It became a way of life and it was not much fun to say the least. Then suddenly, without any forewarning, it all comes to an end and it was the end we both desperately wanted but never thought would happen. It is hard to describe how I feel.

Black Forest
04-28-2013, 04:26 AM
Evan, maybe now you can pay for postage!

aostling
04-28-2013, 10:18 AM
I could obtain it from the US since I am a citizen but it costs $35,000 per year. It makes it possible to have true deep sleep instead of dreaming twice as much as normal, which is what I do. Not going to happen though.

This is the best news on the forum in a long time. I'm wondering if you are also a Canadian citizen, or if not, if that might have delayed your appeal for so long.

Dr Stan
04-28-2013, 11:09 AM
While I'm certainly glad you won the appeal, I'm certain you'd prefer to be healthy enough to not need the pension. I do hope it increases your ability to acquire that which you need to help live a life approaching normalcy. It also shows how a supportive spouse makes all the difference in the world.

flylo
04-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Still smiling this morning I bet! I know I am but I know how it sucks to have you're body fail you. My mind still runs 90+ but the body runs under 10. I keep planning like always, not realizing I'll probably never live to see it all done. My wife & I were talking last night about not leaving all my stuff for her to deal with. She'd just lock the door & there it would sit. I plan on selling what I'm not going to use & finding someone honest to list, sell & load the rest on Ebay when the time comes. Good luck & great news my friend!;)

Boot
04-28-2013, 11:44 AM
Congrats Evan. Here in the states we have a lot of people collecting that don't deserve it. I'm glad to hear Canada finally got a system to help deserving people collect. Lets hope it doesn't get like the U.S. with all its aliens collecting. We are slowly going broke because of it. After all you have been through you certainly deserve it. Way to go. Boot

Toolguy
04-28-2013, 11:52 AM
Good for you Evan! I'm glad you're finally getting some kind of relief. At least financial if not physical.

I wish you both the best! Warren

Evan
04-28-2013, 02:15 PM
I am a dual citizen, citizenship played no part. I thank you all for the encouragement. We both are looking forward to having this out of our lives so we can get on with the things that really matter.

John Stevenson
04-28-2013, 02:22 PM
It replaces my regular Canada Pension that started in 2009 but in all they will be paying me something close to $30,000 back pay.

So what new toys are on the bucket list ? Anything interesting ?

Evan
04-28-2013, 02:36 PM
I will be buying a Fuji 3D camera. It is the best of the bunch right now and has exceptional features including a large autostereoscopic (no glasses) screen. It takes 3D HD 1080P 3D movies as well as stills. It has two 10 mpix imagers at full proper eye separation.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/3d/camera/finepix_real3dw3/

Black_Moons
04-28-2013, 03:04 PM
I will be buying a Fuji 3D camera. It is the best of the bunch right now and has exceptional features including a large autostereoscopic (no glasses) screen. It takes 3D HD 1080P 3D movies as well as stills. It has two 10 mpix imagers at full proper eye separation.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/3d/camera/finepix_real3dw3/

Ahhh, a very fine toy. I mean, tool. :)
I bet you'll take some amazing photos and movies with it. Shame few of us will have the 3d monitor to view them properly!

Alistair Hosie
04-28-2013, 03:38 PM
\i don't drink either just send me the money.:rolleyes:Alistair

jim davies
04-28-2013, 11:18 PM
I imagine some nameless bureaucrat finally got around to googling Evan's name and realized just what they were up against. In a rare moment of government logic they decided to just settle the dispute on it's merits rather than waste money and lose in the end anyway.

Congratulations, Even.

aostling
04-29-2013, 01:03 AM
I will be buying a Fuji 3D camera.

I can't imagine any better way to celebrate your "windfall."

My understanding (I hope I'm wrong!) is that the Real 3D W3 doesn't produce two separate files, to enable printing a conventional stereo pair. For stills it all hinges on how good the lenticular prints are. I've not seen one, so eagerly I await your opinion.

lazlo
04-29-2013, 01:50 AM
My understanding (I hope I'm wrong!) is that the Real 3D W3 doesn't produce two separate files, to enable printing a conventional stereo pair. For stills it all hinges on how good the lenticular prints are.

Fuji co-developed the W3 with Nvidia, for the 3D Vision System (active polarized glasses). The box the W3 ships in is covered with the Nvidia neon green.
http://boardstore.nvidia.com/store/nvidia/en_US/pd/ThemeID.326200/productID.220698100

It outputs side-to-side stereo pairs in either .JPS (JPEG, side-to-side), or .PNS (PNG, side-to-side).

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-photo-viewer.html

The W3 has been out for several years -- I posted here awhile back my experiences playing with it, and the Nvidia 3D Vision System. Fuji shipped us a bunch of pictures of the LA Laker's cheerleaders -- very impressive :)

Evan
04-29-2013, 02:40 AM
My understanding (I hope I'm wrong!) is that the Real 3D W3 doesn't produce two separate files, to enable printing a conventional stereo pair. For stills it all hinges on how good the lenticular prints are. I've not seen one, so eagerly I await your opinion.

It has a full bag of tricks. It will output both 3D format as well as individual jpg for each sensor all formats at a single press of the button. It also has a macro 3D mode where it will use just one sensor and you shift the camera the desired amount and take a second image. Or it will do both at once and produce two 3D macro images at the same time with 65mm separation. It has auto or manual convergence control so you can set the depth that will correspond with the plane of the screen. Even so it is trivial to separate the two images from a 3D format image.

In 2D mode each sensor can be adjusted differently such as tele and wide pair of images at one press of the button.

There are many cool features. I will wait for the check to arrive before I go shopping. For some silly reason I don't completely trust the government...

aostling
04-29-2013, 03:06 AM
I will wait for the check to arrive before I go shopping.

It is in-stock at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-FinePix-Real-3D-W3/dp/B003ZHV70M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367215484&sr=8-1&keywords=fujifilm+w3, but B&H lists it as "no longer available."

I hope it is not going to vanish.

lazlo
04-29-2013, 10:50 AM
I hope it is not going to vanish.

Probably not -- the Nintendo 3DS XL uses the same 3D CCD elements. :) My kids were taking pictures of their toes and showing each other (with the built-in lenticular screen) ;)

Evan, if you buy the W3, I'll ship you the disc Fuji sent us with all the demo images...

Black_Moons
04-29-2013, 03:23 PM
There are many cool features. I will wait for the check to arrive before I go shopping. For some silly reason I don't completely trust the government...

The check is in the mail! *rolls eyes*

Paul Alciatore
04-30-2013, 01:49 AM
Good for you! I hope it helps.

I also would prefer steaks to booz. Lets see, Texas to Canada: I figure four days. Put the steaks on Friday when you see a maroon pick-up coming down the road. Hope you don't mind me bringing the Mrs.; she likes steak too.

flylo
04-30-2013, 01:54 AM
But is it any good?:rolleyes:

The check is in the mail! *rolls eyes*