PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best home and shop wireless security system now?

Carld
04-29-2013, 05:06 PM
It's time to install a good wireless security system that will call me and any other numbers immediately upon entry of building. I also would like to be able to view the intrusion in progress on my iphone. I also want to record the intrusion on a remote site. I want one or two very good cameras in both buildings with one control panel. The cameras will be hidden from site and no on site alarm unless I activate it myself but that is optional.

firbikrhd1
04-29-2013, 06:48 PM
I certainly don't claim to be an expert on this subject, however I do have some first hand experience, for what it's worth. My home has been broken into 3 times, the first with no alarm system installed, the second 3 days later when it was partially installed and the last time many years later with fully functioning system. The system I chose was not wireless for several reasons and I believe I made the right choice. My system is a wired perimeter system with wired screens, magnetic switches on doors and interior traps. Aside from being able to have pets in the house while I'm away without setting off the alarm another benefit is that I can have the alarm turned on when I am home and roam freely about my house without fear of setting off the alarm, but perhaps the very best thing about the perimeter system is that would be thieves don't ever gain access to your home to see what they might come back for later, possibly when you are home, and perform a home invasion robbery. With the perimeter system the alarm sounds as soon as the loop is broken either by forcing a door or breaking a window and pushing out a screen. The alarm sounding inside as well as outside generally is effective at scaring off thieves before they proceed any further.
Although I don't have them, I believe cameras are a good thing, particularly if they are hooked up to a recorder of some sort, as long as the recorder is in an inaccessible place. In conjunction with a good perimeter system they may help catch the foiled thief at some point. I was fortunate to have something even better than a camera during my last break in, an alert UPS driver who heard my alarm and saw the thief running from my back yard, good neighbors who responded to the sound of my alarm, called the police and chased down the subject the UPS man pointed out. The thief was caught and did jail time as well as pay for the repairs to my home.
Lastly, I believe prevention is of all. A sign in addition to a good system wards off many would be thieves so they go to a less protected site. Prior to that last break in I had no sign, I do now.
Sorry if I didn't answer your question as asked, but I thought you might want to hear my story.

johnl
04-29-2013, 07:45 PM
Could you have the recording automatically sent to a website. That way, the recording is safe even if the equipment is found.
Johnl

jdunmyer
04-29-2013, 08:00 PM
I installed a pretty comprehensive alarm system in my barn/shop(s) a number of years ago. It's all hard-wired, with switches on all doors, even the interior ones. Two photo eyes were included, but those failed within a few months and haven't been replaced. All equipment was from Radio Shack, but sadly, they no longer carry this stuff. It has a phone dialer, outside and inside horns, battery backup, etc.

flylo
04-29-2013, 08:04 PM
I have a hardwired Zmodo camera system with a 1.5TB recorder. It's a cheap system but works OK for me. You can moniter it from a pc & I think send it to a smartphone as you can set it for motion detect. Their south of Chicago & seem to have good customer service.I also have a neat device I bought on Ebay that I can call the shop & hear everything or if it detects sound I can set it to call any #. $30/delv & uses a sim card. If those don't work I have Sir Gunny Von Gattlin Master ankle breaker.

jdunmyer
04-29-2013, 08:34 PM
What is the consensus on "visible signs of alarm system" to deter entry vs. "silent alarm, calls the cops to catch the perps"?

Personally, I have an outside, visible, horn and signs on the doors, as I want the would-be thieves to go down the road....

To a buddy's place, where his alarm is totally hidden and silent. It calls the cops, and a couple of 'tests' over the years have proven their quick response. (The 'tests' were inadvertant from carpet installers, etc. The small-town sheriff wasn't upset about the false alarm)

I think I need to investigate a camera system...

danlb
04-29-2013, 11:24 PM
It's time to install a good wireless security system that will call me and any other numbers immediately upon entry of building. I also would like to be able to view the intrusion in progress on my iphone. I also want to record the intrusion on a remote site. I want one or two very good cameras in both buildings with one control panel. The cameras will be hidden from site and no on site alarm unless I activate it myself but that is optional.

You specified "very good cameras" but I thought I'd mention that some of the cheap wireless cameras such as those from 'Foscam' have many of the desired capabilities built in. There are programs for PC's, smart phones and digital recorders to control them and record the output. If we are away and expecting a delivery, I set the camera (from a web page) to send email to my cell phone when movement is detected.

These cams are available for as little as $60 online.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=foscam&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Afoscam

The key to an alarm is that you must respond immediately. The police might or might not act on a call reporting a "suspected breakin". Most of the cheaper camera's have such poor video (640x480) that it's hard to discern faces with enough certainty to make an arrest. As cheap as these are, it's easy to make sure that any intruder has to walk past at leas one of the cameras for a good mug-shot.

Many of these cameras also have the ability to record infrared but the IR throws off the color sometimes. The better ones have a switchable IR filter.

A sample (640x480) from my cam, mounted 10 feet from the door.
http://home.earthlink.net/~dbpict/fd.jpg

Dan

flylo
04-29-2013, 11:47 PM
That reminds me I just bought 2 Foscam FI8910W before the foot ordeal mainly to see why the dog is raising cain, Is it the UPS guy or someone I dont know. These are wireless, pan & tilt & 2 way intercom.

JoeLee
04-29-2013, 11:53 PM
I looked into the Lorex brand stuff but haven't made up my mind as of yet. I like the idea of wireless as running wires is a pain.
Any one have any experience with them????

JL...............

Circlip
04-30-2013, 04:02 AM
A bloody great big dog.

Regards Ian.

taydin
04-30-2013, 04:24 AM
Here, the only useful alarm system is one that is monitored by an alarm monitoring company. Otherwise, the thief will go in, alarms will go off, lights will flash, but the thief will just continue robbing at his usual pace. No neighbor, no passer by will do anything about it. My alarm is monitored this way. There were in total 5 break in attempts, in all of them, the cops (and myself :) ) were on the site within 5 minutes.

My shop is in a remote area and it doesn't have internet service. So I am doing the monitoring using a GPRS data module. My GPRS module sends a signal to the monitoring company every 5 seconds. So if the thief storms in and whacks the alarm device dead before it goes off, the monitoring company will declare a break-in within 3 minutes. This 3 minutes is a threshold that I have defined. The 3G internet service is a little flaky, so I needed to allow for some down time.

Some alarm installer here install cheap monitoring devices that use regular telephone lines to report a break in, but they check in with the monitoring company every 24 hours ! So if a thief cuts the telephone line, the monitoring company might not know about the break-in within 24 hours :)

I have also made a very sturdy steel cabinet, where I place all the power tools and expensive measuring devices. Basically, anything that is light in weight, but heavy in value. So if a thief comes in, the machinery will be safe, they are too heavy. He will have 8 minutes (3 is the alarm threshold, 5 is the time it takes for the cops to come in) to grab whatever he sees out in the open. He doesn't have time to mess with the steel cabinet.

I have 1 impact sensor and a magnetic sensor at the door, 1 PIR sensor and 2 smoke sensors inside. In all 5 break-in attempts, the alarm went off because of the impact sensor. So, they never even managed to open the door, but because of all the abuse, the door is in a visually sorry state right now.

taydin
04-30-2013, 04:59 AM
A bloody great big dog.

Won't work here. The guy living next to my shop is a cop and had such a dog. The thieves first stole the dog, and a few weeks later, they stole the dog house :eek:

Another neighbor (again, next to my shop) has a monster German shepherd dog. The thieves went in and out. The dog probably barked, but they must have somehow temporarily disabled him.

Our thieves are really resourceful. A few years back, a large transformer and some length of electric transmission lines was stolen from the top of an electric tower.

willmac
04-30-2013, 05:23 AM
No - you need a BIG dog.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o248/moorbrook1860/hIRO006.jpg (http://s122.photobucket.com/user/moorbrook1860/media/hIRO006.jpg.html)

Akitas were originally bred for bear hunting.

Black Forest
04-30-2013, 06:39 AM
IN Turkey they have really big dogs. Anytollah(sp) guard dogs. They have a head like an Angus bull and stand about waist high. We had them in Texas as guard dogs for the goats and sheep. No coyotes or big cats would come anywhere near them. As to stange people or dogs, they were just a small appetizer for these dogs. If the dog knew you they were very friendly. If they didn't and found you in their pasture or barn the intruder better have a big gun with them and be very fast on the draw!

This is a very timely thread for me. In our area there is now a organized criminal band breaking into houses and shops. To the tune of hundreds of robberies not far from our farm. I don't even have doors on my shop but have to rectify that very soon. I have the doors but took them off. I also am thinking of some sort of alarm for my barn and shop. The difficulty are the cats.

willmac
04-30-2013, 06:52 AM
This is a very timely thread for me. In our area there is now a organized criminal band breaking into houses and shops. To the tune of hundreds of robberies not far from our farm. I don't even have doors on my shop but have to rectify that very soon. I have the doors but took them off. I also am thinking of some sort of alarm for my barn and shop. The difficulty are the cats.

That's a shame. The trend for crime in UK is generally downwards, but rural burglaries,including farms are a problem. It takes the police a long time to get to some places and there are very few police stations outside the major towns. I thought Germany was reasonably low in crime

H8Allegheny
04-30-2013, 06:55 AM
To answer the original question, consider the Honeywell/Ademco system; in particular their small commercial system, the 128 series:

https://www.security.honeywell.com/hsc/products/control/bu/ad/306277.html

This thing will handle over 100 input devices (wired sensors, wireless sensors, fire, heat, CO detectors, infrared, etc.). It is also video, internet, and cell capable. You can set multiple levels of access for up to 128 different passcodes.

I had an earlier Honeywell wireless system that was installed in 1994. It was a good system that never had a false alarm, but once sensors started failing, my attempts to have it repaired by the company were stymied as they no longer supported it. One comment was that they no longer had the programming software. Well, I found that software online - the system was still being installed by Honeywell in the Middle East! When I told them that I had the software and the needed cables to do the reprogramming myself (to put new sensors in to replace those that had failed), they flat out refused to give me the system master code to allow for reprogramming. This is apparently a very common practice for all professionally installed systems, especially monitored systems.

Though I was absolutely seething, I played along and asked for a quote on an entirely new system using the 128 panel. Installed, it came to over $7,000. Well, I took their quotation, and purchased all the listed parts off of evilBay and several online retailers - came to just over $2,600 including the shipping. Took me a while to figure out the setup as the installation manual leaves much to be desired, but I now have a far more capable system that I can reconfigure anytime I like. I also spend something like $11 a month for monitoring, as opposed to $260 every six months. All in all, I'm very happy with my new system.

There are other manufacturers of equivalent systems out there at different price points and capabilities, so I'd suggest you do your research with an eye to what you want the system to do. At the same time, you should also look into monitoring companies - there are thousands of them available, and with either landline or cell connectivity, they don't need to be local.

Just my two cents.

Good luck. Installing your own system isn't that hard - just tedious and time consuming.

Brian

taydin
04-30-2013, 07:31 AM
IN Turkey they have really big dogs. Anytollah(sp) guard dogs. They have a head like an Angus bull and stand about waist high.

That's right, BF ...

Check out this guy here. This is a species that is exclusively bred here in Turkey and this is really the normal grown up size of these species:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_XBzEIS-Uz-aoYfmir-ynSXWCQuPYJEm4vs_owyLh16lbhtYg

To see more images search "sivas kangal" in google images. But evolution is ongoing and our thieves have adapted. Here, a dog alone will not safeguard your property anymore ...

willmac
04-30-2013, 08:07 AM
That's right, BF ...
Check out this guy here. This is a species that is exclusively bred here in Turkey and this is really the normal grown up size of these species:

OK, you win. That is a big dog

taydin
04-30-2013, 08:27 AM
My alarm system is made by a Canadian company, Paradox. The main controller is SP5000 and the GPRS module is the PCS200. Paid about 900$ for these and the sensors. Did the installation and wiring myself. One thing that I regret is that I put the alarm controller and GPRS module right next to the door. If I would do it again, I would put these in a more hidden location.

Monitoring costs me about 8$ per month.

GEP
04-30-2013, 09:56 AM
I had a X 10 camera system for about 10 years i works great except mine is still analog . The cameras are 110 volts but the signal from the camera is wireless
Has a range of 300 feet. Now X10 is all digital and the best way to run it with your computer. You can access the system from any where and watch your home or shop and also record. If you google X 10 you will find them and they have special sales. Stay away from all other cheap ones

Glug
04-30-2013, 11:55 AM
Won't work here. The guy living next to my shop is a cop and had such a dog.

Dogs can increase the risk.

I had a neighbor with a dog that frequently barked all night, at nothing. I worried that the dog barking would be perfect cover for any noise of breaking into my detached garage shop. Stupid dog.

flylo
04-30-2013, 12:27 PM
If I broke in to my place & was given the choice of the gun ot the dog, I'd choose the gun.

A bloody great big dog.

Regards Ian.