X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cuemaker
    • Nov 2004

Need a better process....

We have to remove the galvanizing from the ends of studs for many hundreds of pieces of varying diameters (7/16 to 1")

Normally we get very small quantities and have been doing it by hand with a air collet holder, a collet stop, and a die...

Is there something more "automated".. I have a lathe, mill, drill press....

Thanks
  • Jon Heron
    • Sep 2012

Muriatic acid does the trick pretty quickly.
    Cheers,
    Jon

Comment

• Hot Bob
      • Jan 2010

I agree with the muratic acid. Been doing it that way for galv and cad plating for 25 years.

Bob

Comment

• Duffy
        • Jul 2007

I agree with muriatic acid. BUT if the OP is not familiar with it, here are some suggestions. Dilute it at least 2:1 giving about a 10% solution. This will fume a lot less. Get three shallow plastic trays. Since they might have to be "soldier-proof," short trays cut from plastic 55-gal, (209 l) drums would work. Fill tray #1 to the depth that you want to strip the zinc with the 10% acid, tray #2 with plain water, (rinse,) and tray #3 with a solution, (again I suggest 10%,) of baking soda to neutralize the acid. Then it is a simple assembly line.
        Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

• achtanelion
          • Jun 2011

If you're diluting, remember Always Add Acid. Don't add the water to the acid, or it could cause the acid to boil and spit globs of boiling acid at you.

Comment

• lakeside53
            • Nov 2007

20% Muriatic as used to clean concrete will remove the galv almost immediately. When it stops fizzing, it's done. First item I did it on pipe ends I thought I'd exhausted the acid in a few seconds - nope - the galv was all gone!
            Last edited by lakeside53; 04-30-2013, 08:56 PM.

Comment

• olcop
              • Aug 2010

As it comes from the store, it can produce a rather violent reaction, I made a "tank" out of 2"PVC pipe and capped one end and filled it with muratic acid just as it came from the store, tossed in a 4 ft section of 3/4" galvanized pipe and it boiled out the open end very quickly, cleaned the pipe readily, but it can be dangerous if you aren't careful.
              olcop

Comment

• danlb
                • Nov 2008

If you have the time and are not willing to work with a strong acid, you can use vinegar overnight to get the same effect. Dangle the studs in a vinegar bath and the plating will be gone in the morning.

Dan
                At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Working...
                X