PDA

View Full Version : Baby gloat

John Stevenson
05-01-2013, 08:05 PM
Just a tiny one and pics will have to wait, left the camera in the shop and it's now 1/2 past dark and it's haunted.

Doing a brass job at the moment, 50 unions made out of 2" hex brass, very, very spendy piece of bar so got 20 done to keep them happy and decided to take the chippings down the scrap yard before i split or kick the bag over.

20 union's made 15 kilo's of chippings or 33 # so well worth weighing it in.

Now the law has changed in the UK as regards scrap to try to stop all the thieving.

[1] You must show photo ID of who you are.
[2] Vehicle details are needed.
[3] No cash, payment can be put on your credit card, not debit for some reason ? or cheque so it can be traced.

1 and 2 don't apply in my case as my details are held behind the counter, 3 does.

So I never draw any money and have the money, which is never a lot held behind the counter to offset purchases out the yard like heavy wall tube for bearing sleeves.

So today, had the bit of money noted and just leaving when I spotted a box angle plate on the side of the scales, handy size 7" x 6" x 5" got a few kicking about but all big things 12" and upwards.

Asked about it and threw it on the scales, it was worth 3.00 in scrap, about $5 so my slush fund is 3.00 worse off. Bit of surface rust but waiting for a new drum of patio cleaner to de-scale some dividing plates, will bung it in and clean it up then get a picture.

flylo
05-01-2013, 08:28 PM
Hows the new mill doing Sir John?

sasquatch
05-01-2013, 08:40 PM
Seen this posting title and thought John's missus had a baby!!!!

John Stevenson
05-02-2013, 04:22 AM
Hows the new mill doing Sir John?

Awesome.

Should have done it earlier but feel a bit vindicated in that what I estimated at 3 days to do the swap worked out to be over a week and still not finished yet. This was because of where it was located and included getting rid of other machines in the way.

I still have to get a CNC mill outside as it's been sold, move a hand operated surface grinder out as it's not used and put the T&C grinder into it's spot as this can do what the surface grinder did.

The old CVA lathe has been part stripped and a few bits sold off, again the carcass need to be moved out for scrap to make room.

No but she might do end of May as just got notice that my new lathe set sail on April 28th for Felixstowe.

Makes me wonder if I have got this right, buy a new truck, mill and lathe and retire at the same time ? :confused:

Allan Waterfall
05-02-2013, 06:35 AM
By the time you've set that lot against your income tax,Inland Revenue will probably owe you money.:D

Allan

The Artful Bodger
05-02-2013, 06:40 AM
Makes me wonder if I have got this right, buy a new truck, mill and lathe and retire at the same time ? :confused:

Hmmmm... that's pretty much what I did but you have the advantage of actually knowing what to do with such things..(well, exclude the truck as I have had that for 15 years):)

Toolguy
05-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Sounds to me like the best time to retire - so then you have lots of time to play with your new toys!:cool:

browne92
05-02-2013, 09:29 AM

Me too! That would definitely earn him a "clumsy bastard". :D

bob_s
05-02-2013, 10:53 AM
John:

So now you have for the most part brand new equipment, and are as busy or more so than before, where does this "retirement" concept fit into the work plan?

flylo
05-02-2013, 12:40 PM
England will declare bankruptsy when Sir John is thru with them.:rolleyes:

By the time you've set that lot against your income tax,Inland Revenue will probably owe you money.:D

Allan

John Stevenson
05-02-2013, 12:56 PM
John:

So now you have for the most part brand new equipment, and are as busy or more so than before, where does this "retirement" concept fit into the work plan?

That's the bit I'm having a problem working out ? :confused:

Charles P
05-02-2013, 12:56 PM
I still have to get a CNC mill outside as it's been sold, move a hand operated surface grinder out as it's not used and put the T&C grinder into it's spot as this can do what the surface grinder did.

The old CVA lathe has been part stripped and a few bits sold off, again the carcass need to be moved out for scrap to make room.

A montage of "before" and "after" photos of your shop would make amusing viewing

Charles

Weston Bye
05-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Baby Goat? I thought it was a typo and Sir John had accquired a new pet - that would eat swarf.

My mistake, misread the title.

Never mind...

wierdscience
05-02-2013, 01:55 PM

Like an old friend of mine (97) told a young lady when she asked how he managed to be in such good shape at his age.
He said-"well I never did any drinking,smoking or chasing wild women in my youth,I saved all that until I turned 75":D

flylo
05-02-2013, 03:12 PM
True story. My Grandmother was asked how old it was before you stopped thinking of sex. She said "you'll have to ask someone older than me" She was over 90 at the time.:p

MrFluffy
05-02-2013, 08:01 PM

No but she might do end of May as just got notice that my new lathe set sail on April 28th for Felixstowe.
:

Maybe the new lathe and old mill will pass each other on the road somewhere like dirty big hulking lumps of iron in the night, though the mill should be heading dover way not to felix provided my semi owning friends have sorted it to become a fraieuse and smell of onion based coolant :)

John Stevenson
05-02-2013, 08:26 PM
Quite looking forward to this new lathe.
Not because it's new as it will be my seventh brand new lathe but 4 were just small hobby machines but because I have had the factory build it to order.

Be interesting to see if they can handle English instructions OK ? :confused: Still not sure what's arriving as the paperwork details are very conflicting.

DICKEYBIRD
05-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Maybe the new lathe and old mill will pass each other on the road somewhere like dirty big hulking lumps of iron in the night, though the mill should be heading dover way not to felix provided my semi owning friends have sorted it to become a fraieuse and smell of onion based coolant :)Sheesh, I've worked with a Yorkie for 16 yrs, and a bloke from the midlands even longer but somebody's gonna have to translate that one for me!:eek:

MrFluffy
05-03-2013, 03:31 AM
Sheesh, I've worked with a Yorkie for 16 yrs, and a bloke from the midlands even longer but somebody's gonna have to translate that one for me!:eek:

Its crossing the english channel on the back of a transporter, and coming to France. Fraiseuse is french for milling machine, and everything traditionally as a joke is said to smell of onions or garlic in France if your english, even the suds coolant :D

John I hope its better than Expondo germany's uk division have been doing on a quote for a welbach entrix 3 phase tig, the guy there has sent me two quotes for it so far clearly under the heavy influence of googe translate, missed the requested foot pedal off both and quoted me shipping to the UK as I asked them in english therefore must be from england. And the "personal offer" is more expensive than their ebay price! Probably easier to deal with the chinese :)

DICKEYBIRD
05-03-2013, 09:00 AM
Ahh OK, I get it....I think.:D