PDA

View Full Version : Pages missing from Shop Made Tools thread?

madwilliamflint
05-02-2013, 02:56 PM
A couple/few days ago I noticed the SMT sticky thread had a page 210 but today the last one is 204. The last few posts seem the same, near as I recall.

Are posts being culled or cycled off somehow?

Dr. Rob
05-02-2013, 03:13 PM
Egad! They've been stolen!

George Bulliss
05-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Daron has been working on the next Shop Made Tools book and has been looking around the thread. He mentioned that he was planning on pruning out some of the extra noise when he came across it and my guess is that's what causing the difference in page count.

madwilliamflint
05-02-2013, 04:06 PM
Phew. Fair enough. I was having a little panic attack there.

:)

Daron Klooster
05-02-2013, 04:20 PM
George is right. I was looking through to find what was used for the first Shop Made Tools book and kept coming across posts that said simple things like, "Nice work!" (or something similar) that didn't really add to or further the conversations. I deleted them as I went. I may do more in the future, but it shouldn't be anything dramatic.

RussZHC
05-03-2013, 12:20 AM
Ummm, this has potential for causing a bit of hassle as I have noted particular posts based on the post # and given the length of the thread, those numbers now have the chance of being several pages "off" and, frankly, that thread is a hassle to try and search as it is...

iMisspell
05-03-2013, 12:36 AM
Ummm, this has potential for causing a bit of hassle as I have noted particular posts based on the post # and given the length of the thread, those numbers now have the chance of being several pages "off" and, frankly, that thread is a hassle to try and search as it is...If i understand you correctly, it should not matter (if you bookmarked using the 'real' post #).
In this thread, the post i quoted you from was #6, but in the database it is stored as 848700.
Its been a long, long time since ive coded with VBforum, but in the past, when a person clicks a bookmark of a piticular single post which was bookmarked or something, the forum software will find it, no matter if it was on page number 10 or 230 and 30 single posts in-between where deleted... this is only true if the single post was "noted" with the 'real' number and not the one displayed in plan text. Obviously if one tries to find a single post which has been deleted, they will be out of luck.

bborr01
05-03-2013, 12:57 AM
There is one member in particular who had maybe dozens of posts that were "nice work" type of posts. I think he just liked having his handle show up at the top of the general page.
Nice work Daron. LOL.

Brian

dp
05-03-2013, 02:42 AM
If i understand you correctly, it should not matter (if you bookmarked using the 'real' post #).
In this thread, the post i quoted you from was #6, but in the database it is stored as 848700.

Yep - page numbers are arbitrary as they depend on the number of posts per page a person chooses in their personal profile. Only the post ID is guaranteed to land you and me on the same "page", but our page numbers the post is found on can be very different. And that is why it is unhelpful to tell somewhat what page a post is found on in a thread unless you also tell them how many posts per page to select.

RussZHC
05-03-2013, 07:28 AM
D'oh, my notations are all just from the plain text...hey, guess you learn something new every day (I had never noticed the other number before)