PDA

View Full Version : Vertical shaper

JMS6449
05-03-2013, 10:24 AM
Just saw this on Craigslist - I have no affiliation with the organization.

It is an oldie

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/tld/3780016196.html

Dr Stan
05-03-2013, 11:02 AM
We had a similar one on the USS Samuel Gompers and a larger one at Columbus McKinnon. Real PITA to set up & run. With EDM ram & wire machines along with key way broaches I cannot see much use for one. Set up time alone would kill any profit margin.

oil mac
05-03-2013, 12:32 PM
I use a slotting machine or vertical shaper upon occasions, usually for key ways when it comes into its own, although now and again I use it for profiling & shaping work for production work the milling machine would win hands down , But as a general maintenance machine it is fine
One job recently where I won, was in machining a pretty hard steel which was in another set up killing my milling cutters , The old slotting machine, by virtue of its slow cutting speed won the day.

TOOLZNTHINGS
05-03-2013, 10:40 PM
Hi,
Along with two wire machines my friends have eight vertical shapers/slotters , one with 24" stroke and cut splines and every internal
shape you can think of every day. Wire edm is not the solution to all jobs, especially not being the most cost saving solution for many jobs. They specialize in this type of work.

Davo J
05-04-2013, 12:06 AM
Nice solid looking machine, new Chinese ones sell for $11,500 plus over here depending on the model, so they must still be selling them to businesses.
http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Slotting-Machine

From memory John Stevenson has one in his shop and it wouldn't be there taking up space if it wasn't useful.

Dave

michigan doug
05-04-2013, 03:18 PM
It comes with a 19 3/4" rotary table. New cost on that alone would probably exceed the purchase price, if you needed one that big.

doug

lazlo
05-04-2013, 03:26 PM
That's a beauty! They don't make 'em like that anymore :(

John Stevenson
05-04-2013, 03:47 PM
From memory John Stevenson has one in his shop and it wouldn't be there taking up space if it wasn't useful.

Dave

Not any more, parted with it last year.
Slotter comes into it's own doing blind keyways, a broach whilst being faster, easier etc needs a thru hole.

Parted with it for a couple of reasons, one was the splined bushes I use are now cheaper to buy than make although one model is special and isn't made but I have some stock.

Second reason was once it becomes known you have a slotter you get all weird jobs, things like parts with literally hours of work already in them and they want a blind keyway to plus or minus microns tolerance. You cock up and you have to pay for the whole job and for what ?, a 30 keyway ?

I sold it on to an old guy who's never going to use it, only polish it, and fitted a slotting head to the POS Bridgeport I used to own.
Took it off when it was sold and it's due to go on the new Bligeport [ ™] but because the ram is far beefier than the POS I need to take 5/16" off the mounting bracket ears [ plenty of meat, no problem ]

This will give me the facility to do my splined bushes but not other work.