PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Oiling

magvar
05-07-2013, 10:35 AM
I inherited a Central Machine Lathe (Model FI-900G) from my father. It works well for what I do. Problem is I need to lubricate the lathe but the instruction manual only has a lubrication chart showing when, weekly/monthly, but no info on what grade/weight oil to be used. Most of the oil points show a oil can to be used. Thinking a 10 weight oil would work. Suggestions??
Thanks

Jaakko Fagerlund
05-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Have been using TK68 way oil for just about anything except the gearbox/spindle, works well. Not that exact lathe, but a lathe is a lathe :)

magvar
05-07-2013, 11:23 AM
What is TK68 way oil? Where can I purchase this?

lakeside53
05-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Please fill in your location (in your profile) so we know where you are from... or "where to buy" is meaningless. The first response you got was from Finland.

LKeithR
05-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Don't know about the "TK" designation--it will be specific to a manufacturer--but the 68 refers to the viscosity of the oil--68 being a common viscosity for way oils. Most common viscosity rating for a headstock oil is 32. Way oils have the added feature of being somewhat "sticky" which means they'll cling to the ways--or whatever parts you're lubricating--a little better than an ordinary oil. In your case any good quality way oil should be fine...

taydin
05-07-2013, 12:18 PM
I use Mobil Vactra 2 way oil on the lathe ways. For the other parts of the lathe, I am using a rust prevention oil. The gearbox has still the original, Chinese Sandy(TM) oil :). I will probably change it with a high viscosity oil when I get a chance.

SteveF
05-07-2013, 12:47 PM
I came across this the other day and thought "How nice that someone sells in hobby shop sized quantities." You will need one of each.

http://www.brwtechnologies.com/Way_Lube_and_Spindle_Oils_s/124.htm

Steve

Cuttings
05-07-2013, 12:58 PM
Another question on this subject?
Does anybody have a good method of oiling a machine through the ball type fittings so you get a little more oil on the inside than you spill all over the outside?

oxford
05-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Does anybody have a good method of oiling a machine through the ball type fittings so you get a little more oil on the inside than you spill all over the outside?

You need a oil can that had a small tip on it that depresses the ball. Get one with a hand pump and a flexible hose coming off.

The Artful Bodger
05-07-2013, 04:07 PM
What you need for the ball oilers is a can that fits the oiler. The tip should be spherical, not conical, it should have a hole that is smaller than the hole in the oiler.

The idea is the spherical tip makes contact with the rim of the hole in the oiler but does not push the ball down as far as its seat. If the tip is too small, or sharp(ish), it will push the ball too far down and block the path for the oil while not sealing against the hole allows the oil to go elsewhere. Just pushing the ball down blocks the oil way so a small tip is worse than one that is too big.

Get an oil can that fits and all will be well.

P.S. The trigger can I have is from China, it has a flexible hose and fits perfectly.

Cuttings
05-07-2013, 07:56 PM
Thanks guys. I must have a half dozen oil cans around. The one I have been using sure makes a mess.
I'll do a closer inspection of the rest.

1-800miner
05-07-2013, 08:51 PM
A company called R.S.I is in Mojave. I buy it there. I think they do regular deliveries down your way.

JoeLee
05-07-2013, 10:01 PM
What you need to do is make a hard rubber tip to replace the metal one. The hard rubber will seal better around the hole.
I had the exact same problem.

JL......................

wtrueman
05-08-2013, 12:54 AM
Cuttings: Like you I have at least 6 cans with oil. I finally wiped each down and used "Wite-out" on each can so as to label them correctly. Now I still have 6 but do not to have to guess which is which. Also, I put the whole bunch on an old serving tray so the drips would not spread. Wayne.