PDA

View Full Version : OT First world third world.

plunger
05-09-2013, 01:14 AM
I live in South Africa. There have been alot of changes in the last few years.Some good changes eg abolishment of apartheid.
However the country like most african states is run by crooks who only enrich themselves and not the people on the ground. But thats another story. I, like alot of people look up to the USA.

You could say S AFRICA is a combination of first world and third world.
Every one seems to look up to the USA as a country of opportunity. I see many,if not most members here are from the States. I am not picking a fight but you guys have some strange habits. You use that complicated imperial system measuring things in thousands of an inch. Well here we are one up on you. Our goverment got it right by using the metric system.If we used your system I dont think any engineering department would work.
Then you all drive on the wrong side of the road.
You speak english but you sure spell bad.(I dont have spell check and my spelling sucks so dont use it against me) For example Tyre is spelled tire, or colour is color.
Is it true that if a bank robber uses a manual get away car he will probably stall because he cant ride a manual car.?
Did I mention you drive on the wrong side of the road.
You also have some funny names for things . Manual car is stick shift.
Petrol is gas
car bonnet is hood.
hooter is horn etc
Then you talk funny. I love the way you incorrectly pronounce ALUMINIUM
So South Africa is not so backwards in many aspects
I love how your Police Force works.In my country if you are getting raped or robbed theres a good chance the police wont come. They will tell you its not there area or there are no cars and because they are unionized there is a good chance they are on strike. Anyway I am not knocking you guys ,I am just making an observation. I love the forum and enjoy the wealth of info that comes out.

iMisspell
05-09-2013, 01:32 AM
.... You speak english but you sure spell bad.... I hear ya there ;)

darryl
05-09-2013, 01:51 AM
When I went to Africa, one of the first things I found was that people drove on the wrong side of the road. I found that you could go into a restaurant dressed in tatters as long as you were wearing a tie. Everybody talked funny. Police drove Austins that were hard pressed to get out of their own way. There were no gas stations, but there were petrol stations. :)

We lay a lot of asphalt here, many meters wide- or is that feet- Over there, the highways had two strips of pavement laid along a gravel bed. If no cars were coming against you, you could use both strips, but otherwise you had to use one and leave the other for oncoming traffic.

If you were downtown and wanted to go into a drug store, you could just stop in the middle of the road and go do your business. When you came back, everyone would be patiently waiting for you to move your car along. The new years eve sport was drag racing up and down the main street right in the heart of the city, littered with broken booze bottles. You could fire off a handgun at will, but you had to be very careful not to give a middle finger salute. That could send you to Gonagazingway.

There were some similarities between our peoples. If you were a have, you ate from a plate with utensils, and there was a room with a toilet.

I honestly don't recall the system we used to describe length, etc- could have been metric-

We have just one world- but we sure live in different ones.

plunger
05-09-2013, 05:59 AM
Darryl A drug store is where you buy Tik or dagga. (cannabis) There you go again talking funny.You mean the pharmacy or chemist.:)

Black_Moons
05-09-2013, 06:22 AM
Don't worry about it. The first world governments are trying there hardest to be as corrupt as yours.
Why, in my province they let for profit insurance corperations declare laws!

taydin
05-09-2013, 06:36 AM
I love how your Police Force works.In my country if you are getting raped or robbed theres a good chance the police wont come. They will tell you its not there area or there are no cars and because they are unionized there is a good chance they are on strike. Anyway I am not knocking you guys ,I am just making an observation. I love the forum and enjoy the wealth of info that comes out.

Here, if a burglar enters your house and you kill him in the house, you will be charged with first degree murder. If the burglar enters your bedroom and you kill him there, that is considered self defense. Don't know what happens for the other rooms in the house, or the attic :)

Recently, a security guard in a bank shot dead a robber. The robber was armed, was pointing his gun towards the bank employee and was threatening to kill her unless she gave the money. The security guard was tried for first degree murder! Reason, he shot the robber from his back! Guess he should have challenged him for a duello, just like they did in the western movies. After this made the news and after a nationwide outrage, they dropped all charges.

Because the bad guys always get away completely or just serve a few months, the population sometimes tries to fill the void. If a thief is caught by the folks living in the neighborhood, he gets a thorough beating and is hospitalized. After all, that is all the punishment he will get most of the time.

beanbag
05-09-2013, 08:21 AM
You speak english but you sure spell bad.

Oh yeah? Well your grammar is worser.

Billy Hill
05-09-2013, 09:33 AM
However the country like most african states is run by crooks who only enrich themselves and not the people on the ground.

There are few misconceptions you seem to have of Americans and their way of life. I'll try to clear some of them up here without looking too much like a loon. :p

The government here has turned into self-serving, power hungry crooks and liars who will do and say anything to prolong their "power" over the people. They are creating laws by the truckload and literally trying to control every aspect of our lives from what we can eat and drink to what we can wear to what we say and do. They are indoctrinating our children in the state run schools, leaving out critically important parts of our history that define who we are and why we're here. They are printing money with nothing to back it up by the billions each month. They are breeding a dependance on government handouts with each generation. Right now almost half of our citizens are on some form of government assistance. People used to be ashamed to be on welfare, food stamps, disability etc. Now people brag about it.

They are undermining our 1st, 2nd, 4th, 9th and 10th amendment rights promised by our Constitution.

The media have successfully turned us against each other by aggressively promoting a Democrat vs Republican mentality that literally has us fighting over the same things over and over. They just change it around every 4 or 8 years depending on who's in control.

The last administration (Bush II) was chastised for going to war, creating taxes and undermining our Constitution. The current administration is doing the exact same thing now at a highly accelerated rate, only this time it's being portrayed as OK by the media because he's a Democrat.

The saddest part of all this? Most people don't see it (or don't want to). They don't remember what they were mad about 4 years ago because now that's OK behavior.

/rant off/

TR
05-09-2013, 09:39 AM
There are few misconceptions you seem to have of Americans and their way of life. I'll try to clear some of them up here without looking too much like a loon. :p

The government here has turned into self-serving, power hungry crooks and liars who will do and say anything to prolong their "power" over the people. They are creating laws by the truckload and literally trying to control every aspect of our lives from what we can eat and drink to what we can wear to what we say and do. They are indoctrinating our children in the state run schools, leaving out critically important parts of our history that define who we are and why we're here. They are printing money with nothing to back it up by the billions each month. They are undermining our 1st, 2nd, 4th, 9th and 10th amendment rights promised by our Constitution.

The media have successfully turned us against each other by aggressively promoting a Democrat vs Republican mentality that literally has us fighting over the same things over and over. They just change it around every 4 or 8 years depending on who's in control.

The last administration (Bush II) was chastised for going to war, creating taxes and undermining our Constitution. The current administration is doing the exact same thing now, only this time it's being portrayed as OK by the media because he's a Democrat.

/rant off/

Remove the constitution part and you could be talking about Australia. We are currently enduring the worst Government in our History. The entire Labor party has been born from institutional corruption starting with Unions slush funds. Would make for a compelling Hollywood block buster.

GNM109
05-09-2013, 10:59 AM

The government here has turned into self-serving, power hungry crooks and liars who will do and say anything to prolong their "power" over the people. They are creating laws by the truckload and literally trying to control every aspect of our lives from what we can eat and drink to what we can wear to what we say and do. They are indoctrinating our children in the state run schools, leaving out critically important parts of our history that define who we are and why we're here. They are printing money with nothing to back it up by the billions each month. They are breeding a dependance on government handouts with each generation. Right now almost half of our citizens are on some form of government assistance. People used to be ashamed to be on welfare, food stamps, disability etc. Now people brag about it.

They are undermining our 1st, 2nd, 4th, 9th and 10th amendment rights promised by our Constitution.

The last administration (Bush II) was chastised for going to war, creating taxes and undermining our Constitution. The current administration is doing the exact same thing now at a highly accelerated rate, only this time it's being portrayed as OK by the media because he's a Democrat.

The saddest part of all this? Most people don't see it (or don't want to). They don't remember what they were mad about 4 years ago because now that's OK behavior.

/rant off/

+3! You can say that again! Great post!

Weston Bye
05-09-2013, 11:02 AM
This thread looks like it will have a short shelf life. Nonetheless, all good points made.

From a hobby machinist point of view, I don't see the effects of government too much in the hobby, except for some availability of materials (metric stock in the US?) and tools issues. Most of us are go about our lives and hobbies without mentioning being bothered by the cops or bureaucrats or politicians or news reporters. The occasional environmentalist or zoning official gets a passing reference, but other than that, it seems that most of our activities remain happily below the radar.

Weston Bye
05-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Another thought:
Think you have it hard? read The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind. Do a web search. Genuine Third World.