PDA

View Full Version : Pre impregnated thread lock bolts

goodscrap
05-10-2013, 01:38 PM
I'm after a thread lock I can apply to some bolts that will be shipped loose for assembly by the customer, its only 2 bolts per assembly so not worth them buying a tube. Is there a product I can apply to the bolts that will dry so it doesn't run off.

What I'm thinking of is the type of thing auto manufacturers use for brake caliper bolts or flywheel bolts etc.

Brian

kf4zht
05-10-2013, 01:41 PM
Amazon Supply sells a decent selection of bolts with threadlock pre applied. If you already have the bolts then the loctite quick stick products may work, they are thicker than the normal tubes.

Kevin B.
05-10-2013, 02:12 PM
vibra-tite is a product I've used with good results. I got it from McMaster-Carr.

Regards, Kevin B.

Frank Ford
05-10-2013, 02:20 PM
For what it's worth, I buy some of the more specialized Loctite liquids in those little 1/2 cc capsules. The "each" price from McMaster is less than two bucks. Maybe you could get a quantity deal and supply the stuff in whatever grade you want along with the assembly.

platypus2020
05-10-2013, 02:20 PM
I use Vibra-Tite

http://www.vibra-tite.com/product-items/vibra-tite-vc-3/

mars-red
05-10-2013, 02:22 PM
For another option, Loctite makes a threadlocking tape that would probably work pretty well for what you want.

Mike Burch
05-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Assuming these bolts have nuts on them, would it not be easier for your clients if you just supplied Nylok nuts? That way they would have nothing extra to do, and you would be sure that they hadn't neglected to apply the magic juice or whatever.

Paul Alciatore
05-10-2013, 05:36 PM
How about some used cooking oil from McDonalds or your own kitchen? Seems like that stuff is both very sticky and almost impossible to remove.

Rustybolt
05-10-2013, 09:48 PM
I'm after a thread lock I can apply to some bolts that will be shipped loose for assembly by the customer, its only 2 bolts per assembly so not worth them buying a tube. Is there a product I can apply to the bolts that will dry so it doesn't run off.

What I'm thinking of is the type of thing auto manufacturers use for brake caliper bolts or flywheel bolts etc.

Brian

If you lived on this side of the pond I'd send you some stuff.
If you can get ahold of some finely powdered nylon you can heat the bolt(@400F) and apply the nylon. Depending on the thickness it's good for 5 or 6 cycles.
For the record the "Locking" component in most pre applied threadlocker is diotomatious earth in an adhesive.

DR
05-11-2013, 09:13 AM
Things may have changed, but 10-12 or so years ago there was only one suitable product on the market as a liquid to pre-apply to bolt threads as a locker. Loctite had nothing, everything they had was meant for application at time of assembly.

It may have been Vibra-Tite we used. I recall being surprised how much research we did to find a product that met the customer's critical specs for a thread locker. The part was an electrical panel standoff with tiny 4-40 male thread so the usual nylon type insert was not an option.

I recall at least one product that fit the need. It required sending the parts to the product's manufacturer to have it applied though. Not practical in the small quantity runs we were doing.

RussZHC
05-11-2013, 09:45 AM
does not help directly, but IIRC there was/is a member here whose job or part of job description is designing machines that pre-apply thread lockers to bolts...maybe they will respond...[the thread I seem to recall showed a machine specifically designed for the purpose that put many thousands of bolts through in a shift...sort of a rotary table almost like a bottling machine or bottle capping machine]

PonderCreekStudio
05-15-2013, 06:00 PM
Goodscrap/Brian --

You probably already found a solution, but back when I was in the service a long while ago, some of our machinery that had to be field assembled came with little packets of hardware. The folks at Supply smeared a glob of goo on some of the bolt and stud threads in the packets. I later learned it was just glue from a hot glue gun. It worked well for the purpose.

We had access to Loc-Tite (or its equivalent), but the glued threads saved having to poke around for a tiny tube during what was sometimes not very relaxed conditions. The only complaint was when Supply smeared a glob on the bolt end, and we had to scrape glue off before starting a bolt in the hole.

Anyway, it kept things from rattling apart. The application was usually short term, and we usually used new hardware kits on every reassembly. Obviously it wouldn't work for hot situations like engines.

Regards --

Reuben

HAP
05-15-2013, 06:52 PM
Just recieved my brush bottle of Vibra-Tite from Amazon after learning about it from this thread.

R,
HAP

goodscrap
05-15-2013, 07:20 PM
Haven't come to a solution yet, vibra-tite looks like a good method, but sadly not available this side of the pond.

Locktite do a dry-lok system, but it has to be applied by approved agents, not a DIY product, i contacted one such agent, but as I only want about 100 bolts doing they haven't even obliged me with a response.

Any other suggestions welcomed.

Brian