PDA

View Full Version : Tool gloat: Shop Wench's new toy

Toolguy
05-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Shop Wench (who is a mechanical engineer and apprentice machinist) was out at an estate sale today. She called me and said, "Mitutoyo depth mic, new, how much?" I told her about $20.00. She called me back about 10 minutes later and said, "$12.50."

Brand-new, never opened. Seems to have shipped in 1993.

http://www.protocalldesign.info/photos/Home_Shop_Machinist/Tool_gloats/Shop_wench_new_toy/IMG_0063.jpg

Here's what it looks like unwrapped. For the very first time. Ever. It has rods from 0"-4". It's a mechanical digital. I'm jealous!

http://www.protocalldesign.info/photos/Home_Shop_Machinist/Tool_gloats/Shop_wench_new_toy/IMG_0067.jpg

We estimate original purchase price was about $225, new.

She said it's hers, but I can have custody when she doesn't need to use it.

Dr Stan
05-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Man that sucks so much I can feel it all the way here in western KY. :)

Good find.

mickeyf
05-12-2013, 12:30 PM
I fight off the envy in cases like this by saying "I'll never really need one of those anyway." Sometimes it even works. Sigh.

browne92
05-13-2013, 09:18 AM
I fight off the envy in cases like this by saying "I'll never really need one of those anyway." Sometimes it even works. Sigh.

Man, can I relate.

So, you gonna tell her the rules of a tool gloat before you tell her she sucks, or after? It may determine if you get your face slapped or not.

Toolguy
05-13-2013, 09:34 AM
Ha Ha! She would just laugh! I already have a Starrett 0-3 and a Brown & Sharpe 0-12 depth mike so it's not like I need to take hers. I'm happy that I found someone who can appreciate fine tools and their use. To me SHE is the biggest tool gloat of all!;) The other day she said "You need a bigger shop." I just smiled and said "Yes I do."

Edit - I forgot to put in my original post - Take that Harbor Freight! So there!

Weston Bye
05-13-2013, 10:10 AM
... To me SHE is the biggest tool gloat of all!;) The other day she said "You need a bigger shop." I just smiled and said "Yes I do."

Yep, you suck.;) You have Shop Wench and we have SWMBO.