PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With A Rod Cutter

her50
05-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Hi

I need a Rod Cutter for cutting 3/8" & 1/2" 6061 Aluminum rod. I want to thread the rods after they are cut without having to don anything else to the rod. I have found a couple cutters online but the are more than I want ro invest and was hopping someone might have a set of plans or ideas that I could use to build my own cutter.

Thanks for any help

Harold

J Tiers
05-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Most of the shear types will inevitably leave a "drag" on the end of the rod, even when sharp and tight. That may, or may not, be acceptable for threading, just depends if you are die-threading or lathe threading. Sounds like you mean die threading.

Abrasive cutoff often leaves the cleanest (and sharpest) edge on the cut rod. Even they can leave a "drag" or "fin' on the end. hacksaw usually does also, but might be acceptable.

Most anything I use to cut, I still have to hit the part with a grinder or band sander to get rid of the fins.

Black_Moons
05-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Get a bandsaw. Very nice cut, minimal debris on the end. you'll love the bandsaw for everything else (metal) you ever have to cut in your life (thats not stupidly hard)

Theres also tools to chamfer the end of rods, although just twirling it around in your hand at a 45 degree angle to a belt sander only takes 5~10 seconds per end.

quadrod
05-12-2013, 12:20 PM
I use a table saw with a carbide tooth blade, it will zip through 1/2" round rod in a hart beat. Wear safety glasses and ear plugs.

Jaakko Fagerlund
05-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Just about any chop saw or table saw with carbide blade works quickly, just hit the ends on a grinder belt to get the chamfer for threading.

gundog
05-12-2013, 05:32 PM
I cut 5/16" 316L SS all the time I buy 10 - 12' pieces and hold them together with hose clamps 3 of them one on the far end away from the blade and one on each side of the band saw vise. Each cut is 10 pieces I chamfer them by hand on a disc grinder. I use a drill driver to tighten and loosen the hose clamps so it goes pretty fast with a stop set up. The reason for the 3rd clamp is so they are always held tight so I don't have to realign the ends for each cut.

A cnc lathe with a bar feeder would be the way to go but I only do them about 2 to 3 times a year I end up with a little over 200 pins on each batch.

Mike