PDA

View Full Version : Geez... you Canadians piss off everyone.

iMisspell
05-13-2013, 12:47 AM
Was searching around for a collet closer and came across this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hardinge-Sjogren-collet-chuck-2J-D1-5-camlock-NEW-/110781278248

If you look towards the middle of the page, just above the pictures of the collet closer for sale there is a description along with a note to Canadians.

_

lakeside53
05-13-2013, 01:03 AM
Yep, can't take them anywhere! ;)

Davo J
05-13-2013, 01:04 AM
It happens to Australians as well,
Shars on ebay will not post here and when I asked them about it they said there where to many postage problems, but they will post from there online store.
work that one out LOL

Dave

bob ward
05-13-2013, 01:05 AM
Hmmm. 99.6% positive feedback out of 3355 sales, that means 14 or 15 of his customers have given him grief??????

flylo
05-13-2013, 01:16 AM
I've seen several guys like that on Ebay. I've bought several items from "power-boater" & he won't ship to Canada. Maybe postal related as there does seem to be a lot easier here?

Evan
05-13-2013, 02:05 AM
I must be missing something. In the section on "all feedback" it shows for the last 12 months 310 positive, 2 neutral and 1 negative.

Sending to Canada is not difficult. Fill out the tag that goes on the parcel to state what it contains. About 5 words will do for a simple single item. "Machine tool, lathe collet chuck" + the declared value. The buyer is responsible for duty and taxes, not the seller.

macona
05-13-2013, 02:21 AM
Only if you use US Mail. If you use UPS or FedEx it is a freeking nightmare.

Evan
05-13-2013, 02:29 AM
The solution to that seems obvious.

John Stevenson
05-13-2013, 04:03 AM
We have loads of trouble sending to Canada.
For a start we can only use Royal mail or carriers. RM will only ship 2Kg max and this is to do with the Canada end, it's 4Kg anywhere else.

If we use DHL or Fedex the user gets raped on the Canada end for fees and duty, not our problem but we get bad feedback because of it.

Last problem is missing items. Daughter used to make costume jewelery and because she had to declare what was in the parcel on the CN22 none and I repeat none of the Canadian parcels arrived so she refused to sent to Canada and Italy which has the same problem.

JEZX
05-13-2013, 06:56 AM
being a canadian and buying lots of stuff from the US , i have never had a problem , seems strange . the add is also very weird .

David Powell
05-13-2013, 07:25 AM
being a canadian and buying lots of stuff from the US , i have never had a problem , seems strange . the add is also very weird .

If you piss us off enough we will turn your oil and water off. Remember 1812 !!! Regards David Powell.

PixMan
05-13-2013, 07:39 AM
Aside from the BS about Canadians, did anyone else notice the photo that shows the close up of the engraved "Hardinge Brohters"?

flylo
05-13-2013, 08:20 AM
The seller was up front about why at least. Most sellers just say no sales to Canada.

lazlo
05-13-2013, 09:13 AM

There's a max weight limit of 64 lbs on US Postal Service International Packages.

I've been burned with UPS packages going to Canada. It's not the fault of Canada or Canadians, obviously, it's the racket the carriers have with custom's brokerage fees.

In the case of Ebay sellers, the most common scenario is that they ship the package to a Canadian buyer, the buyer gets hit with a customs brokerage fee, and they take it out on the seller with negative feedback.

A.K. Boomer
05-13-2013, 09:17 AM
Who says it has anything to do with shipping, he clearly states that he does not like their attitudes...

Willy
05-13-2013, 09:33 AM
I don't really think it's a shipping issue.
The seller states: "Due to excessive and abusive negative feedback from Canadians , I no longer sell to Canada" .

So maybe last year sometime, (the 2 neutral and 1 negative feedback this year are all from the US) the seller had a run in with a couple of A-holes from Canada and said never again.

Thanks for the heads up buddy, sounds like a guy that I'd really like to meet.
Makes perfect sense to hold a whole nation to task for the actions of 2 of it's citizens. There's A-holes everywhere, I now know of at least one in Illinois.

philbur
05-13-2013, 09:34 AM
Another bit of cross border hassle. Did you know if you go to Canada on a business trip (at least from Europe) you are liable for Canadian income tax and are required to fill out a tax return.

Phil:)

Stern
05-13-2013, 09:37 AM
As a buyer in Canada I can confirm that getting stuff here sucks, and yes Customs love to rape you on the package, it makes them feel good lol. Yea, maybe a few bitched about that or left negative feedback, but as a seller you should show some class. I have had MANY E-bay US items never show, and I never complained to the seller IF I had some form of valid tracking. I have also sold to US people and have got more than a few negatives because of HIGH shipping from here to the US .... But I would never say "No more US sales, they are all jerks".

Take Ebay for what it is, a large group of people buying and selling stuff, most normal people but a few asswipes .... and they are everywhere, not just one location.

GNM109
05-13-2013, 09:38 AM
I've bought and sold numerous items from and to Canadians and will do so again. The only thing I noticed was that it takes a lot longer to complete the transactions. I guess everything has to go through their customs.

robosilo
05-13-2013, 09:42 AM
I wonder if the seller was able to get Ebay to pull some of the negative reviews and that's why they aren't viewable. Maybe there were very legitimate reasons for the sellers remarks. If you go on the ebay forums there are some wild stories of what people tried to get away with and ways that sellers enacted revenge on buyers.

A.K. Boomer
05-13-2013, 09:51 AM
You can tell he's got an axe to grind by even having to state it the way he did,
all's that's really needed is to say "we do not ship to canada" or just include canada in your no shipping list... right or wrong he feels like he's been burned and wants to air out the dirty laundry for everyone to see...

Stern
05-13-2013, 10:01 AM
Yea, he may have had a valid beef, but its poor form to state it in public when your a seller. All it does is shrink his market and make some second guess buying from him (I know if a Canadian seller put that down I wouldn't buy from him, its just tacky). Unfortunately, there are asses out there on Ebay that will make life hard for sellers (reason I stopped selling on Ebay). I got a lot of buyers (mostly US, but that doesn't mean I would blame all US people) that would Email me and say "I really think I should have got it cheaper, if you dont refund me some money I will leave neg feedback". Even after forwarding these Emails to Ebay, they didnt give a damn and just let the jerk leave negative. Sorry, but that to me is nothing short of extortion and Ebay doesn't give a crap. Got burned a few times both selling AND buying, and as far as Ebay is concerned, as long as they get their cut the dont care.

A.K. Boomer
05-13-2013, 10:26 AM
It's getting pretty bad out there, the last item I sold I had to eat half the shipping cuz I could not believe what shipping costing nowadays - and if the new tax laws go into effect its going to get even worse,,,

there's one good thing that will come out of it, there will be more localized buying and selling as in small shops again...

Dr Stan
05-13-2013, 12:02 PM
I have a shooting Star DRO on my lathe and am waiting on a replacement encoder that was sent April 29th, 3 weeks ago today. I was considering purchasing another DRO from them for my mill, but with the excessive shipping times I've decided to go elsewhere.

On edit: It finally arrived today, 3 weeks after he told me he sent it (April 29th). However the postmark is May 7th. Certainly not buying another one from them.

lakeside53
05-13-2013, 12:44 PM
On the other hand.... Last Monday at 2.30pm I ordered a Nema 17 stepper motor and gearbox from Calgary. I paid the "expedited shipping (3 days) delivery to Seattle, rather than the 5-8 days for ground. I was checking the tracking number 10am Tuesday morning when a UPS truck rolls up and delivers it! It was less than $100, and incurred no customs fees or delays.

wierdscience
05-13-2013, 02:24 PM
I've had problems shipping to Canada in the past.It usualy goes something like this.

Buyer wants USPS shipping,okay that costs customs fees on their end,they want it listed on the customs card as a gift valued at $0.00.
Couple three weeks go by and no package,guess how much the insurance pays?If you guessed $0.00 you are correct.

I have since solved the issue quite effectively.If you want me to ship an item to you anywhere in the world.Simply get your own shipping account with whichever company you like.I will send you the dimensions and weight of the package and you can then E-mail me a printable shipping label which I will gladly stick to your package.

Thrud used to say all this cross boarder BS was because the US wants to keep Canadian smokes from going south and Canada wants to keep edible Meatloaf from going north:D

quasi
05-13-2013, 04:41 PM
I hate them FRIGGIN Kanadians.

Willy
05-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Me too Quasi.
If it wasn't for the bacon and the whiskey I'd be out of here!http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/250willy/cee48e43.jpg

The Artful Bodger
05-13-2013, 05:42 PM
I could buy a $10 item from the US and pay almost $100 in packing and shipping etc, or I could buy from (for example) CTC in Hong Kong, simple choice really.

TRX
05-13-2013, 06:22 PM
We have loads of trouble sending to Canada.
Last problem is missing items.

Back years ago I used to ship computer software all over the world, including the Soviet Union, East Germany, Yugoslavia, various African countries I'd never heard of, Taiwan, Hong Kong (while it was still British), etc.

The *only* problems I ever had were shipping to Canada. Packages would be "lost", or I'd get a notice that they'd been confiscated by Canadian customs, which appeared to be completely random, and all my packages were properly labeled and declared.

lazlo
05-13-2013, 06:28 PM
if the new tax laws go into effect its going to get even worse,,,

there's one good thing that will come out of it, there will be more localized buying and selling as in small shops again...

There's a blanket exclusion for "small businesses" with out of state sales < $1,000,000 :eek:

macona
05-13-2013, 06:45 PM

You're right, don't ship to canada.

Evan
05-13-2013, 08:00 PM
Another bit of cross border hassle. Did you know if you go to Canada on a business trip (at least from Europe) you are liable for Canadian income tax and are required to fill out a tax return.

That applies to any country that doesn't have a reciprocal tax agreement with Canada. It is most often the same between any pair of countries without a similar treaty.

The US is by far the worst. Fairly recent (last 10 years) retroactive tax law changes were passed. Any citizen of the US is expected to file a US tax return every year even if they do not owe tax due to a reciprocal tax agreement. You will be fined if they become aware of it even if you don't ever return to the US and have never owed tax. The fine is a portion of your net worth. This was supposedly intended to catch big money tax evaders but it applies to everyone.

That isn't all. Any son or daughter of a US citizen is also automatically a US citizen no matter where in the world they live or were born. They are also subject to the same law. If they enter the US they may be arrested at entry for possibly evading taxes and not reporting foreign income. They can also be fined even though they have never been to the US and have no clue they are a US citizen. They can also be arrested if they travel to the US using a foreign passport and travel by air or sea.

canucktoolmaker
05-13-2013, 08:17 PM
I've bought and sold several items on Ebay both from the US and sent to the US, never had an problems. Seems strange.

Sandro Di Filippo

motorworks
05-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Ok
The post sucks here....but we have
1) Great Beer
2) lots of oil, iron, steel,nickel etc
3) Shrimp Crab and lobester
4) great beer
5) pretty women...
6) lots of open space
7) beer....and after 3-4 they get great looking....
8) sea food and copper....
9) __________
Gone for a beer....

flylo
05-13-2013, 10:00 PM
Nice place to visit but I don't want to live there. I'm not smart enough to know the rules & regs:confused:

RussZHC
05-13-2013, 11:28 PM
Could be completely wrong but pretty sure this
Buyer wants USPS shipping,okay that costs customs fees on their end,they want it listed on the customs card as a gift valued at $0.00.
Couple three weeks go by and no package,guess how much the insurance pays?If you guessed $0.00 you are correct.
lowering the declared value or declaring a false value is illegal, there are a ton of EBay sellers out there who state outright that they will not do...I have never requested it but packages have been sent labeled as "gift" so some must be in the habit.

The one that has me a bit baffled are the various USPS rates that seem to apply to printed materials, or, i think more precisely, the way they are packaged for shipping...there are some sellers who offer specific "media" envelops which are pretty large, can be padded and are considerably cheaper than the size of priority box that would be needed.

Evan
05-14-2013, 12:05 AM
Anyone that is having trouble sending items to Canada needs to do some research. The Courier services have greatly simplified the process and reduced the brokerage fees in the last few years. Customs in particular is where some major changes have happened. Online Metals is a good example of taking advantage of these changes. The shipping cost from them has dropped to not much more than shipping within the US. Items shipped are pre-cleared in the US by the carrier so they do not need to go through Canadian customs. The "brokerage fee" no longer is a percentage of the value, it is a flat fee that steps up with weight and is precalculated. The entire cost of having something shipped from Online Metals to Canada is precalculated and pre paid when you purchase.

If they can do it then so can anybody else.

OnlineMetals is here for you!
In order to earn your business, OnlineMetals and UPS have created a special program for our Canadian customers. You'll pay a much lower rate, have all of the tax and shipping charges taken care of upfront, and rest assured that your checkbook won't be necessary when your package arrives.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/ohcanada.cfm

wierdscience
05-14-2013, 12:52 AM
There's a blanket exclusion for "small businesses" with out of state sales < $1,000,000 :eek:

Monumental government cluster f--- .Great,now we have to keep resale tax ID#s for every customer in every state we sell to.We will now have to prove we sold less than $1m out of state,even if there is no chance in hell we did.If sales start out slow in the first three quarters and top the $1m threshold in the 4th then what?

Not to mention it's the first step in getting the sheep to accept a national sales tax on top of all the other taxes.

lakeside53
05-14-2013, 01:28 AM
lol... the canuks won't have to charge us tax :-)

lazlo
05-14-2013, 04:38 AM
Monumental government cluster f--- .

Not to mention it's the first step in getting the sheep to accept a national sales tax on top of all the other taxes.

Blame Amazon and the Texas and California Comptrollers. This is all because Texas and California singled-out Amazon for "dodging" state taxes. Susan Combs filed a lawsuit against Amazon claiming they owed the State of Texas $340 million in sales taxes. Amazon counter-sued, demanding to know how the State of Texas came up with the figure (she pulled it out of her ass). Jeff Bezos went on a publicity campaign, insisting that cash-poor states attempting to force Amazon to collect state sales tax was unconstitutional.

But in the end, both states forced Amazon to collect state sales tax, and sales in those two states plummeted. Other states with budget shortfalls smelled fresh blood, and New Jersey and South Carolina were next, followed by a flurry of other states.

So Jeff Bezos flipped sides, and lobbied Congress for the "Marketplace Fairness Act of 2013." 'Cause if the world's largest online retailer has to collect sales tax, then the rest of the world has to as well http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/images/smilies/rolleyes5.gif

gt403cyl
05-14-2013, 11:51 AM

I second this, I buy from the US on ebay often, never had a problem,

GT

Dr Stan
05-14-2013, 12:04 PM

Which is exactly what the Tea Party wants. Eliminate the income tax, especially for the 1%, and use the most regressive tax available dumping the burden on the working poor and middle class.

lazlo
05-14-2013, 12:15 PM
This latest Internet Sales Tax (A.K.A. the "Marketplace Fairness Act of 2013") has broad bi-partisan support: it was sponsored by 20 Democrats and 9 Republicans, and passed almost unanimously in the Senate.

You can't get the two sides to agree on the time of day, but they'll damn-well agree on a cash cow! :(

Evan
05-14-2013, 12:38 PM
So, what's up with this?

This item cannot be shipped to the following state(s): AK,GU,HI,PR,VI

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-Basic-Outdoor-Cool-3-8-in-Extension-30068/100373207#.UZJna8qbbUI

loose nut
05-14-2013, 07:24 PM
Geez... you Canadians piss off everyone.

Interesting comment coming from someone who lives in a country that continuously pisses off all of the 7 billion non-Americans on the planet.:confused:

John Stevenson
05-14-2013, 07:39 PM
Ok
The post sucks here....but we have
1) Great Beer
2) lots of oil, iron, steel,nickel etc
3) Shrimp Crab and lobester
4) great beer
5) pretty women...
6) lots of open space
7) beer....and after 3-4 they get great looking....
8) sea food and copper....
9) __________
Gone for a beer....

10 Snow
11 Gales
12 Ice
13 More snow

A.K. Boomer
05-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Geez... you Canadians piss off everyone.

Interesting comment coming from someone who lives in a country that continuously pisses off all of the 7 billion non-Americans on the planet.:confused:

Well yeah - pisses them off - feeds half of them - cloths half of them and protects half of them from harm --- half the time ------------- its a pretty good trade when you think about it... :p

wierdscience
05-14-2013, 10:14 PM
Which is exactly what the Tea Party wants. Eliminate the income tax, especially for the 1%, and use the most regressive tax available dumping the burden on the working poor and middle class.

Uh,no it's not what they want and this scheme is not about replacing anything.This scheme is about adding another tax on top of the pile we already pay and the proponents put the starting point at 15-17%.

That idea first raised it's ugly head during the health care debate,but they pulled it after they figured out telling Americans that everything they buy would cost 15% more the following year would mean armed insurrection.

I have to love the circle jerk argument bashing any form of flat or sales tax as a replacement for the current idiotic system of loopholes deductions and ouija board regulations.The same people that bitch and moan because they think "tha rich mahn" is getting over on them with loopholes,deductions and lobbyists are the same ones who rail against a system with no loopholes,deductions or lobbyists.:rolleyes:

wierdscience
05-14-2013, 10:36 PM
Blame Amazon and the Texas and California Comptrollers. This is all because Texas and California singled-out Amazon for "dodging" state taxes. Susan Combs filed a lawsuit against Amazon claiming they owed the State of Texas $340 million in sales taxes. Amazon counter-sued, demanding to know how the State of Texas came up with the figure (she pulled it out of her ass). Jeff Bezos went on a publicity campaign, insisting that cash-poor states attempting to force Amazon to collect state sales tax was unconstitutional.

But in the end, both states forced Amazon to collect state sales tax, and sales in those two states plummeted. Other states with budget shortfalls smelled fresh blood, and New Jersey and South Carolina were next, followed by a flurry of other states.

So Jeff Bezos flipped sides, and lobbied Congress for the "Marketplace Fairness Act of 2013." 'Cause if the world's largest online retailer has to collect sales tax, then the rest of the world has to as well http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/images/smilies/rolleyes5.gif

Yup,somehow the term "interstate commerce" eludes members of both parties:rolleyes:

Just like the concept that inventory taxes kill local sales,they just can't figure that one out.

wierdscience
05-14-2013, 10:46 PM
lol... the canuks won't have to charge us tax :-)

But you will have to pay it if you buy from us:D

wierdscience
05-14-2013, 10:47 PM

Uh,no it's not what they want and this scheme is not about replacing anything.This scheme is about adding another tax on top of the pile we already pay and the proponents put the starting point at 15-17%.

That idea first raised it's ugly head during the health care debate,but they pulled it after they figured out telling Americans that everything they buy would cost 15% more the following year would mean armed insurrection.

I have to love the circle jerk argument bashing any form of flat or sales tax as a replacement for the current idiotic system of loopholes deductions and ouija board regulations.The same people that bitch and moan because they think "tha rich mahn" is getting over on them with loopholes,deductions and lobbyists are the same ones who rail against a system with no loopholes,deductions or lobbyists.