PDA

View Full Version : Quick change toolposts

mike4
05-15-2013, 04:36 AM
From reading a lot of the lathe posts here I have a question , which quickchange tool post is the easiest to use and how reliable is it ?

I have to toolup a lathe for a friend and thought that a easy to use and quickly setup system of tool changing might keep him interested in machining.

There are many different types available on Ebay around the world , just want a few ideas , thanks .

Michael

mike4
05-15-2013, 04:38 AM
Forgot to let you know the lathe size , its a 12x 40 in imperial size .
Not very old , was only use for about 50 hours ,then replaced with a larger machine.
Michael

Black Forest
05-15-2013, 06:40 AM
Multifix is very good and very repeatable.

Blackadder
05-15-2013, 06:52 AM
Forgot to let you know the lathe size , its a 12x 40 in imperial size .
Not very old , was only use for about 50 hours ,then replaced with a larger machine.
Michael
but they can empty your wallet very quickly , but have to admit they are the dogs do-da's

simple they are the best ( only the swiss made ons tho )

Stuart

Davo J
05-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Hi Mike,
I have the Hare and Forbes QA150 and while it's a beautiful tool post it's expensive and so are the holders, so thats why I made my one.

Buy a BXA wedge tool post from the US (I think CDCO has wedge now) and they are around $200 posted with 5 holders. He will work with you to fill the flat rate box with extra holders for around $10 each.

Dave

macona
05-15-2013, 11:28 AM
Forrest did a review of the Chinese multifix tool posts. Do a search. The turned out pretty good. I can't remember if he posted a supplier of the tool posts and holder that was cheaper than most places. If not I have the link.

Being able to move the the tool in 15 degree increments is very nice, especially if you have a tool that wants a slight angle like a boring bar.

Jaakko Fagerlund
05-15-2013, 11:31 AM
Either the Dickson style or if you want a little more tool room type, buy the Multifix or its copy. I remember there was a suuplier that you could get the Multifix style post and holders for about 200, http://www.createtool.com/.

rode2rouen
05-15-2013, 12:24 PM
From reading a lot of the lathe posts here I have a question , which quickchange tool post is the easiest to use and how reliable is it ?

I have to toolup a lathe for a friend and thought that a easy to use and quickly setup system of tool changing might keep him interested in machining.

There are many different types available on Ebay around the world , just want a few ideas , thanks .

Michael

Although my current lathe has an Aloris post, the machine it replaced had an Omni Post, which was a very solid, repeatable unit. Nothing fancy, just very good, relatively inexpensive, functionality.

http://www.krfcompany.com/index.html

Rex

Forestgnome
05-15-2013, 03:53 PM
There are many good toolposts, but the Aloris-style is the most commonly used. It's reliable and repeatable, and the toolholders are the most widely availble of the various types. Having a wide variety of sources and quality of toolholders should make it easier to stay interested. It can be frustrating to get locked into a one-source, one-price situation. The wedge style is more repeatable, but that's really not necessary for most hobby machinists. You generally need to be doing production work to tight tolerances to need that level of repeatability. BXA would be the correct size for his lathe. You can get a BXA piston style toolpost with a set of toolholders pretty cheap. Go to CDCO or search Ebay for BXA.

rohart
05-15-2013, 04:57 PM
What I like about the Dickson is you almost throw a holder at it, turn a wrench, and off you go. What I don't like is the cost of the holders. I've got five holders, and I'd like forty-five.

On the occasion I want an unusual angle, I just turn the whole toolpost. The only annoying feature, which must be common to all designs, is when I decide to mount a tool in an empty holder and I forget what task it's for, and I mount it backwards.

While the Multifix looks more flexible, don't you have to think a little (more) when mounting a holder straight, or at right angles ? Or are those natural angles obvious ?

mike4
05-15-2013, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the replies , I have passed on the replies to him and am also thinking of buying a few tool holders for myself as the Aloris that arrived with some tooling that I purchased recently has cleaned up quite well from the greasy lump in that was in the bottom of the box .

Michael

Tony Ennis
05-15-2013, 07:34 PM
I have a Chicom Aloris-style QCTP on my 12" lathe and it's dreamy.

Jaakko Fagerlund
05-15-2013, 11:54 PM
While the Multifix looks more flexible, don't you have to think a little (more) when mounting a holder straight, or at right angles ? Or are those natural angles obvious ?
Straight is pretty obvious, as the usual is 9 degrees between positions and*it really can be seen that it is not straight.