PDA

View Full Version : speedymetal.com ??

oxford
05-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Has anyone placed an order with them recently? I usually use onlinemetals.com when I need to order something but they don't have the gauge sheet cold rolled listed that I need so I figured I would try speedymetals.com When I try to put something into the cart I just get sent to a screen with a server error code. Not sure what's going on. Is there any other sites you guys order from other than these 2. FWIW I am looking for 14 and 13 gauge cold rolled. Thanks.

Billy Hill
05-15-2013, 03:18 PM
I've used them with no issues. I disable adblocking and enable scripts on their pages. Are you using Firefox or IE or Opera or...? Have you tried a different browser?

oxford
05-15-2013, 06:26 PM
Thanks. I had to use the house computer to get it to work, it didn't like the laptop.

rwnash
05-15-2013, 06:56 PM
I had a problem placing an order and gave them a call. It turned out that Internet Explorer was giving error messages - Google Chrome was the fix, at least for me. I guess that I'd rather switch than fight.

Whit Nash

Billy Hill
05-15-2013, 07:42 PM
I hear ya, Whit, sometimes it's not worth the fight. I run FF as my main browser, IE for work and Chrome for gmail and a few other sites that just don't seem to work on any other browser. I haven't used Opera for a long time. My biggest thing is protection. I can deal with most sites using adblocker, noscript and ghostery and rarely have to disable them for general stuff.

wierdscience
05-15-2013, 08:36 PM
Ordered from them today,no problems other than the password username crap typical of many online sites.

oxford
05-15-2013, 08:39 PM
I had a problem placing an order and gave them a call. It turned out that Internet Explorer was giving error messages - Google Chrome was the fix, at least for me. I guess that I'd rather switch than fight.

Whit Nash

That's what my problem was. I use Internet explorer on the laptop and google chrome on the house computer. It worked fine with google chrome.

KiddZimaHater
05-15-2013, 10:03 PM
Their website has been screwed-up for the past 3 weeks when using Internet Explorer.
I called their 888 number, and it was disconnected!
I got thru to their office number, and the girl said they were having issues with their website and phones.

Alan Douglas
05-16-2013, 09:32 PM
I bought some aluminum tubing and pipe a few weeks ago, the old-fashioned way: I sent them a check after getting an email quote for the UPS charge. Worked fine, got exactly what I wanted, project turned out well (tripod crane with telescoping legs).

JoeLee
05-16-2013, 10:31 PM
I've ordered from them several times and have had no issues, I use the phone!!!!!! any one remember what that is????

Online Metals or Discount Metals I believe only sells sub prime steel. I was told this by a mill that sells it to them.
I ran into a tolerance issue with some square tube a few years ago and that is how I found out.

JL.....................

oxford
05-17-2013, 07:55 AM
I've ordered from them several times and have had no issues, I use the phone!!!!!! any one remember what that is????

Online Metals or Discount Metals I believe only sells sub prime steel. I was told this by a mill that sells it to them.
I ran into a tolerance issue with some square tube a few years ago and that is how I found out.

JL.....................

My wife said the same thing about the phone. LOL.

I can't comment on the quality of online metals, I have ordered a few things from them but never noticed anything. I usually can find what I need in the scrap bin at work, it is usually odd ball stuff I need to order. This gauge sheet is one of them.

J Tiers
05-17-2013, 08:14 AM
My boss called the local outlet and said they were closed-up, gone, out of business.

On the other hand, their local website is working..... he may have called a different outfit and just referred to them as "Speedy metals", like kleenex.

Dr Stan
05-17-2013, 08:15 AM
For small quantities I use McMaster. Their prices are as good or better than most others, service is very quick (overnight or 2nd day at ground shipping prices), and that way I have fewer accounts.