PDA

View Full Version : The new Bligeport - first installment.

John Stevenson
05-15-2013, 06:14 PM
Fitted a slotting head to the WM40 Bligeport, a Bligeport is a Chinese copy of the Bridgeport and in the case of the WM40 it's far bigger, beefier and heavier.

Usual problem is that one job leads on to 5 more.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/bligyslotter1.JPG

The widen the ears to fit the bigger WM40 ram, 10mm has to be removed, 6mm off one side and 4mm from the other. An extended R8 arbor is needed to reach down 5".

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/bligyslotter2.JPG

Dummy run to test fit of the bracket and the spacers etc.

Test assembly.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/bligyslotter3.JPG

Slotter lifted up, dropped on the bed and clamped in the vise. From here it's just a matter of using the 3 power feeds to slide the slotter onto the ram and bolt up.

Didn't get a picture of the sight gauge before but it was cracked, dirty and loads of crud behind it. No chance of getting a new sight level so broke the clear lens up and prized the sight out.

Cleaned it all up and with a pair of needle nosed pliers the roll over return that held the lens in was open up.

Cut a new lens on the laser cutter with reversed engraving on the rear, filled with red paint then the excess was wiped off. Lens pushed back into place and the lip peened back over.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/bligyslotter4.JPG

Just got to do a couple of jobs and then it's being removed again and sent away for painting to match the rest of the machine.

mike4
05-15-2013, 07:11 PM
Is that bare floor in the background ?
How can you stand having that ?
Please cover it .
Machine looks good and the slotter mount has renewed my wish to get one .

Michael

mickeyf
05-15-2013, 08:40 PM
I thought you'd misspelled "Bilgeport".

John Stevenson
05-16-2013, 04:23 AM
I thought you'd misspelled "Bilgeport".

No it's on the 'official' makers plate :o

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/Blidgeport.jpg

DR
05-16-2013, 05:02 AM
Who said Chinese manufacturers don't have a sense of humor?

Blackadder
05-16-2013, 06:42 AM
more like Notts humour

Stuart

bborr01
05-16-2013, 07:31 AM
Bligeport sounds kind of familiar to me. Wasn't there a company in Connecticut that used to use a similar name on some milling machines? Maybe Flexport or similar?

Brian

Alistair Hosie
05-16-2013, 09:21 AM
your shop is great even though sometimes it is like the inside of a whores handbag if you've ever seen inside one of those LLOOLL Alistair

browne92
05-16-2013, 09:26 AM
I am fairly certain that if an OSHA inspector ever walked into Sir John's shop, he would clutch his chest and keel over dead.

Nice work on the sight glass. I've used the 'smear paint and wipe away excess' trick many times. It works well:

http://www.edgefinderled.com/graphics/vent%20heat160.jpg

GNM109
05-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Nice machine, although they misspelled Bridgeport. At least the one you got rid of had proper spelling. LOL.

The "M" cast into the base in your first picture is for Meehanite, the cast iron process that is quite highly thought of. Most machines from Taiwan are done in Meehanite. My Webb 4VH mill (3,500 pounder) is also cast from Meehanite.

The older BSA's, AJS, Matchless and Harley-Davidson used Meehanite process for flywheels and cylinders.

Good pictures, too.

A.K. Boomer
05-16-2013, 09:46 AM
Not to offend but that entire "machine" looks like one cheap gigantic steaming POS to me - but again just my opinion - have a nice day...:)

camdigger
05-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Precision machinery from a Silk Flower and Tractor Factory?????

Not three items I would normally expect as products from a single factory, but who am I to judge?

JRouche
05-16-2013, 11:58 AM
Fitted a slotting head to the WM40 Bligeport, a Bligeport is a Chinese copy of the Bridgeport and in the case of the WM40 it's far bigger, beefier and heavier.

Cut a new lens on the laser cutter

Nice!!!! Did the great sign of China come from the laser also? Very funny..... JR

becksmachine
05-16-2013, 06:51 PM
Geez, am I the only one who remembers the entire thread devoted to naming the new machine?

:confused: ;)

Dave

lakeside53
05-16-2013, 09:03 PM
As the average age of members moves towards geriatric, all posts are new :-)

TGTool
05-16-2013, 10:53 PM
As the average age of members moves towards geriatric, all posts are new :-)

Yeah, and we get to tell the same joke over again and they laugh like they never heard it before.

flylo
05-16-2013, 11:26 PM
Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel:p. Sad part is real "Bridgeports" are made in Taiwan:mad:.

Not to offend but that entire "machine" looks like one cheap gigantic steaming POS to me - but again just my opinion - have a nice day...:)

darryl
05-17-2013, 02:54 AM
Nice to read about machines, etc, but it's time now to take in some music. I think I'll listen to Blige Ovel Tloubled Watel.

morehelium
05-17-2013, 03:36 AM
I thought Bilge-port would have been more appropriate, but whatever.

"Great wall silk flower and tractor factory"

Comedy gold sir. well done.

John Stevenson
05-17-2013, 03:40 AM
Nice to read about machines, etc, but it's time now to take in some music. I think I'll listen to Blige Ovel Tloubled Watel.

LOL :p

EVguru
05-17-2013, 04:37 AM
It's been said that Americans don't understand Irony.

Clearly they do, they think it's like Brassy, or Coppery.

cameron
05-17-2013, 07:47 AM
It's been said that Americans don't understand Irony.

Clearly they do, they think it's like Brassy, or Coppery.

Apparently some Blits don't either. It's parody, not irony.

willmac
05-17-2013, 10:56 AM
Looks like a lot of irony to me in a pretty shade of green.

darryl
05-17-2013, 06:38 PM
Black ilony with a complement of coppely gleen, tinged with a hint of titanium white, blassily boxed and wlapped in lice paper. It's your new Bligepolt light-angle adaptel. Made in Led China. Fol expolt to Amelica.

cijuanni
05-18-2013, 09:59 AM
LOL.....

Hopefully you got a manual with that Bligeport that includes such gems as....

"Tighten bolt until too tight".

Guido
05-18-2013, 11:09 AM
Watched a feller take a picture with his old, mechanical camera from China----shutter went, "Clrick".

darryl
05-18-2013, 04:20 PM
And a sheet of rice paper came out with a photo on it?

A.K. Boomer
05-18-2013, 04:44 PM
LOL.....

Hopefully you got a manual with that Bligeport that includes such gems as....

"Tighten bolt until too tight".

or one of my favorites "hold threads while turning to completion"

John Stevenson
05-18-2013, 04:58 PM
My early mill / drill had a classic in the book.

"Do not place in the sunshine room"

The Artful Bodger
05-18-2013, 05:06 PM
Our new electric blanket came with the usual safety warnings including the need to wear hearing protection and safety glasses. :rolleyes:

john11668
05-18-2013, 05:19 PM
I got a DRO set for my lathe , looks like the same kit as Sir Johns new Blidgeport DRO but I got mine sent direct from Hong Kong with the usual Chinglish instruction book. Brackets were immediately recycled and I made proper ones . Got it all fitted before I tried to interpret the book of words. The words " If all else fails , then try to read the instructions " all seem appropriate.
I think that I did manage to interpret linear correction from the book but it was not easy!

What were the instructions like with this lump Sir John? Or have you not got around to reading them yet? :)

John Stevenson
05-18-2013, 05:47 PM
John,
Machine came with a 2 axis DRO but old POS had a 2 year old 3 axis fitted so I kept that back and swapped the head over.
Still got to fit the knee DRO, that's probably the 5th instalment ;)

So had this DRO for a while but to be honest I can get it to do the DRO bit, 1/2 feature for finding the centre of shafts etc and bolt circles.
Never used the rest of the features.

Been working on instalment #2. Altering the stepper motor on the dividing head, new post and pics later.

cijuanni
05-18-2013, 08:51 PM
Our new electric blanket came with the usual safety warnings including the need to wear hearing protection and safety glasses. :rolleyes:

LOL

Maybe they were thinking of all the hot and loud passion that new electric blanket could ignite??

mike4
05-19-2013, 03:00 AM
Sir John ,
How easy do you find the slotter to set up for a job ?

Also does it flex much when working?
Michael

macona
05-19-2013, 03:14 AM
Watched a feller take a picture with his old, mechanical camera from China----shutter went, "Clrick".

Chinese has "L" sounds, maybe you are thinking Japanese?

MetalMunger
05-19-2013, 04:07 AM
My early mill / drill had a classic in the book.

"Do not place in the sunshine room"

Maybe you also have this classic from my manual on the elipse function:
"Function: The god of earth who points, out that the obvious form of number provides the convenient ellipse halving hole function,......"

John Stevenson
05-19-2013, 05:25 AM
Sir John ,
How easy do you find the slotter to set up for a job ?

Also does it flex much when working?
Michael

Quite easy, spin the head round, position it over the work either in a vice or chuck bolted to the table and use the DRO to centre the cutter.

No flex but in all fairness it's only a lightweight attachment and you are limited more by the tool than the slotter. The working end of the tool is usually quite small and getting all excited only snaps the end off so you spend more time making a new tool.

Last year I got rid of the big slotter for a few reasons, downsizing, attracting the wrong type of work and a bitch to use as they are so low, even with 8" packing blocks under them.
All I want this for is doing short, 2" long, splines in motor couplings and being mounted high up it far easier to use.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/ravensburg3.jpg

A.K. Boomer
05-19-2013, 09:22 AM
Slur John, me have piece of machinery from same country of origin, china hoe little temper-mental at first but once disconnected and re-assembled rightfully so machine work good well with marks of stability,

first half hour motor go boom, big smoke, but since fix no problem. illusion integrity finish revealed however when bondo loose suction and end up on floor.

table locks free range excessive so install heli-coils from quality country,

head incapable tram, have stoner fix,

One shot lube even semi-automatic and still abandon parts less lubrication while others hoard gluttony, much meter adjust and also tube/dam modification,

owners manual great code needs large deciphering...

Even though 7 years friends still poke much fun, no invitations and neglected from parties now - even though machine still in semi-solid form much enigma so hide keep in basement, this bad for prosperity and still not help cruel insults cuz cat's out of rice basket now, much drinking ferment to numb pain - work for long time.

big drop in altitude but corrected with elevation medication...

hope you much fun as im have.

Tony Ennis
05-19-2013, 09:28 AM
... attracting the wrong type of work ...

There's some wisdom right there.

GNM109
05-19-2013, 09:36 AM
I was under the impression that John's new machine was from Taiwan, was it not? China is a different country, IIRC, although I presume that eliding certain English language syllables is an issue in Taiwan as well.

Sure wish I had a slotter.........

elide
transitive verb \i-ˈlīd\
elid·edelid·ing
Definition of ELIDE
a : to suppress or alter (as a vowel or syllable) by elision
b : to strike out (as a written word)
a : to leave out of consideration : omit

john11668
05-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Slur John, me have piece of machinery from same country of origin, china hoe little temper-mental at first but once disconnected and re-assembled rightfully so machine work good well with marks of stability,

first half hour motor go boom, big smoke, but since fix no problem. illusion integrity finish revealed however when bondo loose suction and end up on floor.

table locks free range excessive so install heli-coils from quality country,

head incapable tram, have stoner fix,

One shot lube even semi-automatic and still abandon parts less lubrication while others hoard gluttony, much meter adjust and also tube/dam modification,

owners manual great code needs large deciphering...

Even though 7 years friends still poke much fun, no invitations and neglected from parties now - even though machine still in semi-solid form much enigma so hide keep in basement, this bad for prosperity and still not help cruel insults cuz cat's out of rice basket now, much drinking ferment to numb pain - work for long time.

big drop in altitude but corrected with elevation medication...

hope you much fun as im have.

I have a calculator with similar instructions

john11668
05-19-2013, 06:19 PM
I just dug out my instructions for Sinpo DRO
There is a "procedure for Malibrating the Obliquity"
Dont think I will go there tonight!

Maybe try some scientific research tomorrow:(

Mark Rand
05-20-2013, 03:32 PM
a : to suppress or alter (as a vowel or syllable) by elision

Isn't he the guy that owns Oracle?:confused:

cidrontmg
05-21-2013, 06:38 PM
Larry Ellison? Close enough.
"Keyboard is missing or not connected. Press F1 to continue."
Microsoft.

GNM109
05-21-2013, 09:15 PM
The manuals for the Sino SDS6 DRO and its scales have some great Chinese to English translations.

From the scale manual secton 4.5 Rearrangement of Reading Head Cable.

"Note: The tools used in taking down in each step is partnership avoiding the screw head sleeking". (sic) (I personally like sleek screwheads. They look so much nicer and if I ever do take on a partner, I hope he or she is sleek.)

Next page at top: "5.1 The reading head join well enough, it shake headlong......". (head first?)