PDA

View Full Version : Raw material find for metro Detroiters

rickyb
05-16-2013, 01:51 PM
Midwest Industrial Metals in Troy MI sells scrap metal to home shop people like us. Prices are far below anything you can buy from the material houses. 2222 Stephenson Hwy just south of I-75/Rochester Rd exit. If you go, park in the front of the building and walk to the customer entrance in the back of the building. No place to park back there and the probability of a flat tire increases.

Aluminum bar, channel & plate goes for $1-1.50/lb depending on grade.
brass and bronze around $3
most stainless is under $1.50, 316 is $2.75, 330 is $3.50
carbide is $1.00/oz. Think blanks, inserts and End mills. Most inserts are new.
mixed too steel is $1.50/lb in the form of cutters, end mills and blanks.
specific tool steels are up to $3.50/lb
steel is $0.15/lb.
titanium is $3.00/lb
inconel $12.00/lb
copper solids $4.00/lb

I usually pay cash or with a check and don't know if the accept a charge.

This is a scrap metal company so material comes and goes. There is no listing of what is there. You have to go periodically to see what is available. People there are great and
very helpful. I go about once a week and always find something to buy.

Photos are some of the things I picket up there in the past year. I thing the aluminum base plate qualifies as a tool gloat. 24"x42"x 2.8" made by Wolverine Bronze for $120. They have another in this size and a couple that are about 48x48".

Here is a sampling of my purchases.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc415/rickyb222/april2103downlload046.jpg (http://s1210.photobucket.com/user/rickyb222/media/april2103downlload046.jpg.html)

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc415/rickyb222/april2103downlload045.jpg (http://s1210.photobucket.com/user/rickyb222/media/april2103downlload045.jpg.html)

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc415/rickyb222/april2103downlload044.jpg (http://s1210.photobucket.com/user/rickyb222/media/april2103downlload044.jpg.html)

Bob Fisher
05-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Thanks, Fly, that's pretty handy to me in Rochester. Bob.

PTSideshow
05-16-2013, 05:58 PM
Sounds like a winner, will have to stop by and load up.

flylo
05-16-2013, 07:00 PM
I've been wanted to go that way to pickup some tooling from an Ebay seller nunicane & will stop when I'm back in shape.

rmuell01
05-16-2013, 10:52 PM
I'll be going for sure.

Rob

rickyb
05-17-2013, 11:08 AM
I'll be going for sure.

Rob

To further tempt you attached is a pic of $40 worth of inserts, all new. Also a pic of some end mills that just came in. first come first served. I failed to mention earlier that they have a barrel of stainless socket head cap screws.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc415/rickyb222/inserts.jpg (http://s1210.photobucket.com/user/rickyb222/media/inserts.jpg.html)

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc415/rickyb222/carbidecutters.jpg (http://s1210.photobucket.com/user/rickyb222/media/carbidecutters.jpg.html)

rmuell01
05-17-2013, 07:28 PM
To further tempt you attached is a pic of $40 worth of inserts, all new. Also a pic of some end mills that just came in. first come first served. I failed to mention earlier that they have a barrel of stainless socket head cap screws.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc415/rickyb222/inserts.jpg (http://s1210.photobucket.com/user/rickyb222/media/inserts.jpg.html)

You're a cruel man....

rohart
05-18-2013, 02:05 PM
I agree - this is a very mean trick to play on the rest of us.

rickyb
05-18-2013, 02:53 PM
You're a cruel man....

I worded the reply rather poorly. The mills are there for you to buy[i have too many]. The 1/2" one is a Garr. Also there is about 1800# if inserts and carbide for you to pick through. See, I'm not so bad.

bborr01
05-18-2013, 09:02 PM
Ricky,

Thanks for sharing that. Too bad for me that I didn't check in earlier because I just spent a couple of days in Detroit. Next time I will keep them in mind though.

Brian

KiddZimaHater
05-18-2013, 09:37 PM
Now you've done it.
You just exposed your Honey-Hole to these scavengers.
Now there will be nothing left.
Clumsy Bastard.

Evan
05-19-2013, 12:34 PM
He already has enough. It's time to let some others feed at the trough. I would drive many miles to shop at a place like that. Materials are the base of the machining hobby.

rickyb
05-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Now you've done it.
You just exposed your Honey-Hole to these scavengers.
Now there will be nothing left.
Clumsy Bastard.

Yee of little faith. There is method to my madness. I've done this so others would go and buy everything before I see it. If I see it at those prices, I'll buy it. They are saving me from myself.

Regards,
Rick

Billy Hill
05-19-2013, 05:50 PM
We're getting ready to sell off most of our raw material at work. Gonna offer it to local shops who make parts for us. We have over $300k USD of material over almost 400 line items. Some of it is engineering plastics driving the value up, prolly won't be much demand for that. But there's a metric ****-tonne of alum and steel and a little brass and copper.

And since I'm managing the project I get first choice of stuff to buy. The list is extensive. :cool:

Glug
05-19-2013, 06:09 PM
And since I'm managing the project I get first choice of stuff to buy. The list is extensive. :cool:

You should really post that as a separate gloat thread, so that everyone has a chance to extensively abuse you.

Glug
02-05-2014, 01:18 PM
I am hoping to visit this place this weekend. Fortunately they are open on Saturdays. I shall try and avoid buying inserts that are useless to me, but there will surely be the tempation to pick some up that I might someday make a holder for. Suggestions there are welcome.

Any other recs for places to stop at while I am in that area on a Saturday?

Weston Bye
02-05-2014, 01:25 PM
Glug,
The thread is 9 months old. I hope things have not changed since then. Be sure to report back with your find.

rmuell01
02-05-2014, 02:23 PM
Glug,
The thread is 9 months old. I hope things have not changed since then. Be sure to report back with your find.
I was there a couple of weeks ago. All is good. they have a fascinating point/click gun that tells them the composition of the metal that's brought in....

TGriffin
02-05-2014, 05:57 PM
I'll be checking it out.

It's not real close, but it's all freeway and it looks like it might be well worth the drive.

Tom

rickyb
02-05-2014, 07:35 PM
I am hoping to visit this place this weekend. Fortunately they are open on Saturdays. I shall try and avoid buying inserts that are useless to me, but there will surely be the tempation to pick some up that I might someday make a holder for. Suggestions there are welcome.

Any other recs for places to stop at while I am in that area on a Saturday?

I got a couple of face mills there a couple of weeks ago for about $3 each. Of course I didn't have inserts to fit. Went back and bought between 60-80 for $18. Their selection of inserts is very good right now as is the selection of solid carbide mills and drills. As of yesterday, the selection of various bar stock is low now as they shipped much of it out recently.
I took my just completed Robinson sterling to Midwest, made from 90% Midwest metals. I'd attach a photo but I don't remember how.

They are open til 1:00 on Saturdays. The only other place that may be of some interest is O'Tools, on van dyke between 21 and 22 mile roads. That is 5 miles north and 5 miles east. They sell used tools. Nice selection of taps and dies.
Good hunting,
Rick

daGrouch
02-05-2014, 10:18 PM
This is welcome news indeed! I have been taking the long drive to Alro out Ann Arbor way and they really only have Al and acetal. Both around $2.50 lb. I'll be heading to Troy, tomorrow!

Tom - Had no idea you are nearby. I have your YT channel on speed dial.

TGriffin
02-05-2014, 11:28 PM
This is welcome news indeed! I have been taking the long drive to Alro out Ann Arbor way and they really only have Al and acetal. Both around $2.50 lb. I'll be heading to Troy, tomorrow!

Tom - Had no idea you are nearby. I have your YT channel on speed dial.

A born and raised Michigander. :cool:

Glug
02-06-2014, 10:52 AM
Sheesh! You vultures are going to have that carcass completely picked over before I can get in my car and drive the four hours from Traverse City! Leave a few morsels for an old man.

Rick's comment about low bar stock suggests I may not find what I'm most looking for, and that is aluminum for some fixture projects. It's quite a detour for me, so I may not make it this time.

And Alro in Ann Arbor. I have found them quite expensive, often significantly more than just ordering online. Still, it's a great resource.

Years ago we had ASAP Source just a few doors down the road from them, and Alro bought them out. ASAP was a fantastic source of metal and plastic, at really fair prices. It was well organized, in bins. Some of it was cut stock, and the rest were drops from their small CNC business. They also had a nice selection of plastic cut stock. And their prices for specific materials were extremely reasonable. No wonder Alro shut them down.

And they had Home Shop Machinist stacked right on the counter. It was such a great treat to drive a couple miles there, walk in and get great material at great prices. I knew it couldn't last!

Thanks, Rick, for posting about this place.

Weston Bye
02-06-2014, 11:40 AM
The first and last time I walked into Alro was some 15 years ago looking to buy some steel plate and have it flame cut for some speaker shelves for my church. At that time they told me they "didn't do retail," but would (begrudgingly) do the order for the church because of the tax-exempt status. Did a good job, but I've never been back.

Have things changed? The branch I dealt with is right here in Grand Blanc, almost walking distance from the house. Would be right convenient if they now "did retail".

Royldean
02-06-2014, 12:37 PM
It's not real close,

Farmington hills to Troy?!?! Isn't that like 10 miles (as the crow flies)? I lived in Southfield for a year and I would've considered Troy as "next door".....

daGrouch
02-06-2014, 03:20 PM
LoL I drove there from the 'hood and it was well worth my time.

After reading this post last night I went to sleep like a kid awaiting Christmas. I braved the gauntlet of the elements, goofy drivers, and ice patches on the freeway (had a few 'pucker' moments) and spent a pleasant morning with Anthony gathering goodies.

Rick is correct on the primitive stock. Only had rods of Titanium and since I don't know what to do with it I left it for you guys :) So.. I struck out there. I was assured that it pours in during the summer so I will be making return trips. In fact, I have to. Just after I got home, Anthony called to inform me that I had forgot some stuff and he would park it for me.

I left with a chunk of copper, some brass, a bunch of inserts to play with (shame he had no bar to make holders out of :( ), mills in M1/M2 and carbide, an ATX power supply, welding rods (item I forgot) and a motor I plan to put on the lathe.

If you need 0.045 + MIG wire you can get it by the ton. Shame that 0.035 is my max. Computer parts and stuff like Vascomax 300 - another alloy I didn't know if I could machine.

The minor caveats are:

Parking - It's a hike. Check Google Earth and the Weather channel to decide if you will be packing a pair of skis or sneakers.
Cash only
They will not sell lead. I had some picked out to make a shop banger but a confirmation call to the boss man nixed the sale as it's a controlled substance.

All in all it was a great trip and Anthony and the guys were most helpful. For a beginner that doesn't have much or wants to try playing with inserts before dropping big $$ it's a no-brainer. By the time I left I was ready to take up wood turning if you get my drift.

aribert
02-11-2014, 08:25 AM
Thanks for posting.

For the SE MI peeps: I had been buying aluminum & brass from Mt Clemens Metal Recycling in Harrison Twp - right across the road from Selfridge ANG but lately they do not have a lot of drops that they are saving lately so I have been on the lookout for a new source. I made my yearly scrap metal drop off run this year to Admiral Metals in Sterling Hts on Mound Rd. - my goal is to spend more money than I get from selling scrap. I left with more money than I arrived with - I was disappointed. And Admiral does not allow non-sellers to shop.

What I am truly looking for is a source for structural steel drops and scrap. Growing up in Houston I purchased structural drops at Triple S Steel (that was 3 decades ago - no idea if they still sell drops to individuals). Here in Michigan I used to buy structural steel drops at Federal Pipe in Detroit but they got sued by a "customer" and now customers are no longer able to rummage for drops. So if any of you that know of a place that sells drops or scrap structural steel in the Metro Detroit area and are willing to divulge your source - please post.

TGriffin
02-11-2014, 10:17 AM
What I am truly looking for is a source for structural steel drops and scrap. Growing up in Houston I purchased structural drops at Triple S Steel (that was 3 decades ago - no idea if they still sell drops to individuals). Here in Michigan I used to buy structural steel drops at Federal Pipe in Detroit but they got sued by a "customer" and now customers are no longer able to rummage for drops. So if any of you that know of a place that sells drops or scrap structural steel in the Metro Detroit area and are willing to divulge your source - please post.

I haven't been there in a while, but Factory Steel & Metal Supply (http://www.factorysteel.com/aboutus.htm) has pretty much anything you would want and they will sell to anyone. It's a huge place.

Van Buren Steel (http://www.vanburensteel.com/index.php) in Belleville is a small outfit, but they sell structural drops for fifty cents a pound.

Tom

PTSideshow
02-11-2014, 07:09 PM
The only other place that may be of some interest is O'Tools, on van dyke between 21 and 22 mile roads. That is 5 miles north and 5 miles east. They sell used tools. Nice selection of taps and dies.
Good hunting,
Rick
Problem is there are very few deals @ O'Tools and a lot of stuff is above retail. But he does have a lot of stuff.

daGrouch
02-11-2014, 09:45 PM
I vaguely remember buying square and round tube (they had other stuff) from a place in Detroit. I think it was on Fort street south of the Ambassador bridge.

It looked like an old fab shop that catered to the (now missing) auto industry. The pieces were about 30 foot long so I brought a band saw with me.

Anyone know of them?

Glug
02-12-2014, 10:42 AM
Problem is there are very few deals @ O'Tools and a lot of stuff is above retail. But he does have a lot of stuff.

I hate places like that. Maybe the idea is to dicker it down. The internet, and especially smartphones to check the aftermarket and surplus prices, have really changed things. I thought about going to that place, but I kinda figured it'd be way too spendy. It's like a lot of auctions where people pay way too much for stuff of unknown condition and history, for not much less than you can get it new with a warranty.

I do miss a lot of the little Mom and Pop suppliers. Little places that were just gems for their specialty.. Like composites, resins, mold release, etc. Being able to pop in, and grab stuff like that in stock at nice prices.

Regading steel, I bought from Factory Steel in Dearborn about 17 years ago. Good experience, and good prices, and on very clean material (not the 'this has been poorly stored' varieties). I think it was 1.5"x2.5"x.095", in 20' lengths.

I use to have some hole in the wall places I'd go to for steel. Places with characters named Bruno, who really add a lot to the experience. You don't tend to get that with the big monster places like Factory.

rmcphearson
02-12-2014, 01:34 PM
Sounds like a great excuse to take a vacation to Detroit!!!

loose nut
02-13-2014, 01:09 PM
There is never a good reason to vacation in Detroit, get what you need and runnnnnn.

TGriffin
02-13-2014, 01:58 PM
There is never a good reason to vacation in Detroit, get what you need and runnnnnn.

If that's what you believe, it sounds like the media over there is just as useless as it is here. There is a lot more to Detroit (or in this case the suburbs) than the downtown corruption you hear about in the news.

Tom

doctor demo
02-13-2014, 02:48 PM

Unless You are getting out of Camden NJ for fun and relaxation for a few days:eek: Here's a pic I took while driving through Camden.
http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w348/doctordemo/2011WashingtonandCousinstrip159.jpg

I flew into Detroit, spent the night, rented a car and drove to Ann Arbor for the digital workshop a few years ago and the only problem I encountered was cocktails one night with a magazine editor that shall remain nameless:p.

Steve

George Bulliss
02-13-2014, 03:18 PM
the only problem I encountered was cocktails one night with a magazine editor that shall remain nameless:p.

Steve

Problem? Don't recall you having a problem. In fact, you seemed downright jovial.

aribert
03-12-2014, 01:00 PM
Going to a scrap metal place is frequently hit and miss. I went to Midwest Ind Metals 3 wks ago and there was a 5gal bucket along with a couple of smaller containers of carbide. At $1/oz I was leery of buying too much. Turns out my half dozen of so end mills plus 3 short pcs of small angle ended up costing me about $20. I should have bought more - I was ready to spend up to $40. I went there again last Thursday, to buy more carbide endmills and unfortunately they had just weighed and processed their carbide to ship to a mill. I had brought a heavy ring (about 5 inch in diameter) from my scrap pile that looks like carbide to sell (offset some of my purchase cost). THey did a quick magnet test then hit it with a grinder - they thought it was carbide. Then they got out the handheld Olympus XRF analizer. They said my part was tungsten cobalt, then they said it was Hevimet (90+% tungsten + copper + something else (but no cobalt)) instead of tungsten carbide. They were only willing to offer me $2/lb for it. I was disappointed - was hoping that it was worth more and that they could offset my part into their carbide pile and that I could have bought more of their carbide cutters. I'll have to wait a few weeks for them to build their stock back up. All I bought this time was a couple of pcs of 2 in square tubing.

loose nut
03-12-2014, 04:24 PM
If that's what you believe, it sounds like the media over there is just as useless as it is here. There is a lot more to Detroit (or in this case the suburbs) than the downtown corruption you hear about in the news.

Tom

I was referring to "old" Detroit (the actual city of Detroit), been there a few times, some of it is OK but much of it is very run down/abandoned and scary at best. The burbs are a different matter, mostly OK some are very nice.

Wheels17
03-12-2014, 04:46 PM
This seems like a good topic for a sticky thread. I've been to our major scrap dealers here in Rochester, NY, but none of them sell retail. Happy to buy, but not sell. If anyone knows of a dealer like the ones discussed in this thread here in Rochester, please speak up!!