X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GEP
    • Jan 2013

Plating coming off

I have a nickel plated revolver, the plating is coming of on the drum.
    Is there a way to fix it
  • C_lazy_F_Guns
    • Jul 2012

Nope, it will need to be stripped and refinished. If by “drum” do you mean just the cylinder plating is flaking off and the rest is fine (which can happen because it expands when fired) you can have just that re-nickeled, or striped and blued for a two tone look.
    Anybody that thinks they know it all doesn’t even know enough to understand they know nothing!
    Andy

Comment

• RWO
      • Mar 2010

Send it to http://www.apwcogan.com/ They can replate it to original factory spec. or nearly any other finish known to man.

RWO

Comment

• GEP
        • Jan 2013

Thanks
        Yes i wanted to say the cylinder is flaking

Comment

• C_lazy_F_Guns
          • Jul 2012

Yup, needs to be stripped off and re-finished. The best way to strip it is in a plaiting bath, they reverse the polarity and rather than putting nickel on it removes it, easy and does not remove any of the steel under it like mechanical methods.
          Anybody that thinks they know it all doesn’t even know enough to understand they know nothing!
          Andy

Comment

• GEP
            • Jan 2013

We have a plating shop here in town maby i can get the cylinder stripped and just blue it, but it may be to small of a job for them
            Thanks all for the help

Comment

• the kid
              • Aug 2010

If and when you do get it fixed be careful of any powder solvents you use on it to clean it, some of them will cause the plating to flake off, stay away from hoppes no9 and similar solvents made to eat copper fouling. I suspect that many antique nickel guns have had thier finish ruined by unknowing owners using hoppes and similar gun cleaners which eat the plating.

Comment

Working...
              X