PDA

View Full Version : New Dorian AXA QCTP

platypus2020
05-19-2013, 12:55 PM
Yesterday I went to the annual Grizzly Scratch and Dent tent sale, saw nothing really exciting or worth buying. So I ventured into the store, I wandered around for a while, looking over the South Bend lathes, mills and surface grinders on display. Then I broke down and bought a new Dorian wedge type AXA QCTP (SDN25AXA) for my lathe.

I've been looking at it for about 2 years and have resisted until now. I have an Aloris, that seems the handle needs to be swung farther and farther to get the blocks to lock down, as time goes on. Its the same with Aloris, Dorian and even the cheap CDCO blocks.

I mounted the new QCTP and noticed all the blocks are tighter going on and the handle only moves about 30 degrees before it locks the blocks down tight. A neat feature is the ability to clock the handle anywhere in the 360 degrees in 15 degree segments.

I really have cut anything of note, yet, just a few test cuts, hopefully it will work out.

Glug
05-19-2013, 02:24 PM
I have an Aloris, that seems the handle needs to be swung farther and farther to get the blocks to lock down, as time goes on. Its the same with Aloris, Dorian and even the cheap CDCO blocks.

Curious about this issue. Anyone know what causes it and the fix?

I hadn't expected to wear out my wedge style tool post.

Rich Carlstedt
05-19-2013, 09:22 PM
Curious about this issue. Anyone know what causes it and the fix?

I hadn't expected to wear out my wedge style tool post.

Rare Issue ?
My 36 year old Aloris still tightens as it did years ago.
I just checked it and found a new holder required 27 degrees to tighten, and an old holder was at 47 degrees.
A self made holder took 52 degrees.
The inside of an Aloris is all hardened and ground, so I doubt there is much wear there ?
Also the angles pretty much matched whether I had the holder on the front, or the LH side.

Rich