PDA

View Full Version : POS Free Zone

John Stevenson
05-20-2013, 02:46 PM
As of lunch time today.

This rolled up as of dinnertime today.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/POSfreezone1.jpg

Five minutes later this is sat on the arse end.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/POSfreezone2.jpg

Cup of coffee and a chat with the driver and it's on it's way to it's new, proud owner in France.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/POSfreezone3.jpg

Big merry wave goodbye.

Mark Rand
05-20-2013, 03:36 PM
Thought you were buying a new swarf hopper for a moment when looking at the picture.

flylo
05-20-2013, 03:40 PM
But now what will you have to hate?

BigMike782
05-20-2013, 03:48 PM
It shant take too long:D

lane
05-20-2013, 09:07 PM
I hope you paid the Frenchman well to take it off your hands.

MichaelP
05-20-2013, 10:30 PM
John,why do you hate the French so much? :)

Black Forest
05-21-2013, 01:04 AM
John,why do you hate the French so much? :)

Because they deserve it!

DFMiller
05-21-2013, 09:29 AM
Recalling some history in 1940 you shipped these across the channel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boulton_Paul_Defiant

Why not continue the trend ;-)
Dave

MrFluffy
05-21-2013, 11:18 AM
I hope you paid the Frenchman well to take it off your hands.

He's not french, he (me) is actually english living in france. And that truck driver comes from up the road from me too so I'll get it when he comes home on a visit :)

MichaelP
05-21-2013, 11:54 AM
So John hates his own compatriots? On the second thought, you've been warned. :)

MrFluffy
05-21-2013, 11:58 AM
Its fine, eyes wide open :D
I have a real universal mill with 40iso taper on the two positions for real hogging. I wanted a second mill to play with cnc on as my arno is mechanical power feed on all axis and a bit awkward to convert and the real reason is I can't take it out of service as I need it, so I was casting round for a suitable candidate, forgot to bid on evguru's half done conversion and then saw John's advert and it fitted the bill.

Say it quietly but John S is a great person to do business with too.

Alistair Hosie
05-21-2013, 03:40 PM
I happen to like the French what harm have they done to yo BF ? Alistair

MrFluffy
05-21-2013, 05:13 PM
Theyd be fine if they could invent a word for 91, instead of saying "four times 20 + 10 and 1". Like those outcasts over the border in switzerland with their new fangled nonante and stuff :D

Mark McGrath
05-21-2013, 05:24 PM
One of my mates bought Evguru`s Avon mill.He told me after he`d bought it.He has an Avon lathe and it`s a pile of crap.Not helped by the garden shed cnc and other stuff he`s put on it.

Mark Rand
05-21-2013, 06:59 PM
Theyd be fine if they could invent a word for 91, instead of saying "four times 20 + 10 and 1". Like those outcasts over the border in switzerland with their new fangled nonante and stuff :D

Four score and ten plus one? What's the problem?:p

bob_s
05-21-2013, 08:21 PM

91=quatre vingt onze

Spanish is similar. Never had to order more than dos cerveza!

Of course English soccer fans undoubtedly exceed the century.

MrFluffy
05-30-2013, 11:20 AM
As my french friends tell me, it doesnt occur to them till I point it out, as theyve just heard quatre vingt onze all their lives and its melded into a single word :)

Anyway, sat in office, hears a lorry pull up and thinks "thats funny we're not due any courier deliveries". Look out of window and see a flatdeck with a certain POS bridgeport on it, some warning from the delivery company would have been nice but its tucked away in the barn now :)
http://gallery.pipandphil.com/d/38186-1/pos_landed.jpg

Now the hard bit begins, making space in the shop to jam it in the same time as keeping my universal arno mill in there so I can use the arno to make the parts to finish the POS conversion (I bought it full well knowing it needed this, my cunning plan all along to eliminate temptation to butcher my arno with cnc dreams and leave myself mill less if I hit any issues)

Black Forest
05-30-2013, 11:31 AM
I am just glad he doesn't sell horses. If he can pan off the POS then imagine how many horses he could sell my wife!

Alistair I have had nothing but trouble with business deals with the French. They are less than scrupulous in my dealings with them.

mattinker
05-30-2013, 05:44 PM
He's not french, he (me) is actually english living in france. And that truck driver comes from up the road from me too so I'll get it when he comes home on a visit :)

Hey not French, me neither, but we live in the same country. I moved after Thatcher came to power. I live in suburban Paris, top right hand side about 1 1/2 kms from the ring road. Where do you live?

Regards, Matthew

MrFluffy
05-31-2013, 06:48 AM
About half way between chateauroux and limoges out in the rural bit as the centre region meets the limousin. You can probably tell from the stone/cowpoo mortar/dirt floor/oak beam construction of the barn :)

Ive done the periphique a fair few times, and in fact the POS probably passed near your place as its the most direct route down this way for a artic.

POS tooling all tucked away safe in the workshop, but my guestimate of final height has mucked up a bit as its 5cm too tall to fit in my current workshop, so nothing for it but to build the barn into a new bigger one to fit it in.

Peter.
05-31-2013, 06:58 AM
It used to have a riser-block didn't it for extra head height? Just fit a 50mm sinker-block :D

MrFluffy
05-31-2013, 07:18 AM
Could try using the steam cleaner on it too hot or something too, have actually been looking at it to see if there was any empty space above the head casting that could be borrowed :)
I could cut a hole in the reinforced concrete celing as the room above isnt in use but cant go down as its in slab heating, but I've been meaning to get the barn->workshop conversion started for some time now.

mickeyf
06-01-2013, 12:14 PM
why do you hate the French so much?

I do understand that the tribal animousities of the continent go back a long way.

But...

I find it fascinating that in Europe where the blink of a historical eye ago the different countries were bitterly at war, you now get to a border and in place of a guardhouse you see "Welcome to [fill in the blank] ! This way to the Tourist bureau !", while living here next to "the longest undefended border in the world" we undergo rigorous checks, lengthy delays, and hairy eyeballs every time we cross.