PDA

View Full Version : My assistant weldor!

Black Forest
05-22-2013, 11:22 AM
So my daughter comes into my shop this afternoon and starts clamping things together on my new welding table. I ask her what's up? She grabs the MIG welding torch and asks me if I am going to teach her how to weld or if she will have to learn it on her own.

I fitted her with a helmet and showed her what to look for when welding. She thought it was really interesting to see the liquid metal moving around.
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/burnandreturn/Photo-0071_zps7bad7c98.jpg (http://s853.photobucket.com/user/burnandreturn/media/Photo-0071_zps7bad7c98.jpg.html)

mars-red
05-22-2013, 11:31 AM
Awesome!! I'm looking forward to the day I can teach my boys to weld. Youngest is 3, oldest is about to turn 5. Still have a few years to go. :)

rohart
05-22-2013, 11:55 AM
I showed this to my younger (16) daughter. She turned up her nose and said, "You wish ! Maybe my sister."

You're a lucky man she's showing interest.

JohnAlex141r
05-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Good for you and your daughter.

My 2 daughters were taught the art of using tools.

My eldest told me about going to a party at University, and some guys from the Agriculture side of the university were talking about welding on their farms.

She joined in, asked a couple of questions, then came to the conclusion that they did not know what they were doing - that has happened more than once! (She was pretty good with stick welding)

Just so long as they know how to use a screwdriver, be around big machinery, etc, was the goal.

Jaakko Fagerlund
05-22-2013, 01:10 PM
My better half also likes to be in the work room...mainly because she has claimed about half of it hers and overtaken my workbench with her crap :) She knows how to turn stuff with a lathe, but for some reason I don't let her to mess around with my lathe...

flylo
05-22-2013, 01:17 PM
Way to go! Design something she can use or wants & let her weld it with your guidance & she'll always treasure it!

taydin
05-22-2013, 01:24 PM
Curiosity and willingness to try new things... I bet she is doing great at school, too!

ikdor
05-22-2013, 02:02 PM
Only a matter of time now until she builds a boy shearing machine...

Igor

outlawspeeder
05-22-2013, 02:25 PM
God bless me with only two that I have to watch and not a world full that will do harm.

One young man that will stand there and stare in wonder as I build of fix. The younger, 15, can do house wiring, auto body, and has learned that if there is something he need to know, start looking in Google or YouTube.

Both understand, if you can read and comprehend, that they are better than most of the world. This was the best gift I could give them.

Plain ol Bill
05-22-2013, 05:38 PM
That puts a smile on my face! What she learns from Dad in the shop will stand her in good stead the rest of her life. Be proud.

sasquatch
05-22-2013, 06:28 PM
Great post BF, make sure your'e daughter reads all the "positive" comments about her learning to weld!!

Congratulations girll!! We are all prpoud of your'e efforts and enthusiasm!!

MrFluffy
05-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Cool that she's interested and wants to learn!
My 8 yo has his own hood and watches while I weld, I havent let him loose on the torch on his own yet but it can only be a matter of time. He scares me because he's overconfident with everything, so you have to be careful when big things are involved as he'll suddenly decide he knows it all and let rip. He's used my mill and rotab with me standing behind him with my hand on the clutch a couple of times too.

Dr Stan
05-22-2013, 06:40 PM
Cool. Just wait until she learns how to TIG weld and out performs her old man (women have better fine motor skills and thus are better at TIG).

cebump
05-22-2013, 08:11 PM
That's great. Nothing puts a bigger smile on my face than showing my girls (6&9) how to do something I am doing. My biggest hope for my girls is that they continue to be as curious as I am. I hope yours continues.

B

john hobdeclipe
05-22-2013, 08:15 PM
You and your daughter are both very fortunate.

vpt
05-22-2013, 08:25 PM
That is awesome! Congratulations! My 4 YO boy likes using the bandsaw. He keeps bringing in twigs from outside to cut on the bandsaw. I have safety glasses and gloves for the kids to wear when they come in the shop.

Ohio Mike
05-22-2013, 09:23 PM
Cool. Just wait until she learns how to TIG weld and out performs her old man (women have better fine motor skills and thus are better at TIG).

Is that a valid excuse to buy my girlfriend a TIG welder for Christmas?

Dr Stan
05-22-2013, 11:26 PM
Is that a valid excuse to buy my girlfriend a TIG welder for Christmas?

You can quote me on that, just keep in mind what its worth. :)

mike4
05-23-2013, 05:53 AM
BF,
Encourage and assist her as much as you can , my eldest was one of the few "girls" who knew how to assemble items without making a big mistake during her civil engineering studies and the youngest always loved animals , she is now a vet and runs an emergency hospital .
Proud of both .
Michael

ehughes
05-23-2013, 11:03 AM
Hi BF, What a great photo, thanks for posting. Treasure the time, they sure grow up fast. Regards, Earl

Black Forest
05-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Here is my excavator operator. She is loading the shovel on my John Deere tractor. A real tricky place to maneuver and not tear something up. A big 1000 liter propane tank on the right and a tile roof on the left that she has to tuck in and around to dump the bucket on the excavator into the shovel on the tractor. She doesn't like to drive the tractor because she has to stand up to press on the brakes. This was taken today.

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/burnandreturn/Photo-0073_zpsa6ce6566.jpg (http://s853.photobucket.com/user/burnandreturn/media/Photo-0073_zpsa6ce6566.jpg.html)

A.K. Boomer
05-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Very cool, starting the kids out right...

jkilroy
05-23-2013, 01:07 PM
There is no greater blessing in life than children. And fathers that spend time with their daughters are wise indeed. Show them the respect and caring they deserve and that is what they will expect when it comes time to take a husband. Consider it an investment in future happiness.

jnissen
05-23-2013, 04:54 PM
Completely agree. My 12 year old is always asking to build something. Instead of fight it I encourage it and try to direct it as best I can. Learning tools and equipment is not encouraged in young ladies but they will thank you later. I overheard my 16 year old daughter telling her friends how she learned how to change the spark plugs in the car!

dneufell
05-26-2013, 03:06 AM
Awesome fixture table! :)

lazlo
05-26-2013, 04:16 AM
I taught my daughter to MIG weld when she was 6. They need to be old enough to listen and follow directions. My Son is probably going to wait a lot longer :rolleyes:

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u15/rtgeorge_album/Welding/bellawelding.jpg (http://s164.photobucket.com/user/rtgeorge_album/media/Welding/bellawelding.jpg.html)

John Stevenson
05-26-2013, 05:12 AM
My grand daughters, 9 and 10, can use the laser cutter better than I can.
Youngest made a plastic pigs face out of 7 different coloured pieces that snapped together. When i tried doing two disks mine were loose.

I asked her how she got here's tight and was told in no uncertain terms I hadn't taken the width of the beam into account.

Signed Thicky with no tool offset.

tdkkart
05-26-2013, 09:37 AM
Our daughter is a 26 year old school teacher now who spent enough time in the shop with me to know that most anything is fixable, and if
she can't figure it out Dad is only a phone call away. A few weeks ago the "start" button had broken off the front of her clothes dryer, by the time she
called me she'd already removed the back of the control panel because she knew I'd want to see the back side of it, which she sent me a picture of.
Last weekend she was replacing a garage door spring in the garage of her rental. By the time she called me she had purchased a replacement spring, and run the
boyfriend out of the garage after he got frustrated with trying to help her.(He's a good cook, but otherwise he's just a stick-n-ball geek)
She had figured out that the new one only had to look like the other side, and got it done after only a couple questions.

garyhlucas
05-26-2013, 04:57 PM
My dad taught me to weld at about 10, and how to run a lathe too. At 11 I was welding up a wiring trough for the main service at the RCA Space Center out in thr driveway. A motorist stopped to complain about blinding him with arc. My dad likes telling about the look on his face when the weldor raises his helmet and it is a young kid!

Right now I'm building what we call the Ifactory with my 9 year old grandson. Computers are in so this is multi-purpose CNC machine. It combines a vertical mill, horizontal mill, lathe, and 3d printer. He is most interested in the printer, but if you want to make useful stuff you need machining. I hope by time he js off to college he'll have a real goal instead of just a pile of debt.

Gary H Lucas

browne92
05-26-2013, 10:47 PM
I asked her how she got here's tight and was told in no uncertain terms I hadn't taken the width of the beam into account.

Clumsy bastard.

Hey, SOMEBODY had to say it.

Reading this and watching the way some of my friends interact with their kids is kind of a downer for me. My dad was very mechanical, but wasn't around much. But then he had such a short fuse, I'm not sure it would have been good for him to be around. I'm fairly mechanical, but had no direction or guidance. What I did, I pretty much did on my own. So I don't think I got as far as I could have.

Spend time with your kids, folks. If they show any interest, get them involved. And don't just take it out of their hands and do it for them. Let em learn. They sit on the side lines long enough, they'll find something else to do.

Evan
05-27-2013, 12:59 AM
My wife, our son and daughter and their SOs as well as our grandkids are all tool users. I helped our daughter with a science project when she was 12. It was to determine the thermal conductance of pure metals. Her idea, not mine. Something to do with silver and gold... http://ixian.ca/pics10/biggrin.gif

Plenty of people think gold is a better conductor than silver. Not even close. She had it all figured out but she needed a stopwatch which we did not have. I gave her an electronic kit with about six ICs to build a stopwatch so she built it herself and used it to time the heat conductance of the various metals which were all in the same shape as the one ounce gold bar. Got first place too. (BTW, in pure metals thermal and electrical conductance are very closely related and part of the same effect.)

Way to go BF.

Black Forest
05-27-2013, 06:30 AM
This past Sunday was our daughters 11th birthday. We had told her that we would take her somewhere on a trip to wherever she wanted to go for a few days. She is on vacation from school for two weeks. She wanted to go to a theme park that she hadn't been to yet. Only a few hours drive so off we go. We stayed in a four star hotel and were going to eat in the gourmet restaurant. She went online and found an American theme BBQ place in the town that she wanted to go to instead.

On the drive up to the park I asked here what kind of a car she would like to have on her 18th birthday as she was getting "older" now and she might want to think about it a little. She wasted no time and said she wanted a pick-up truck to drive of course. I asked her if she didn't want a sports car or something real snazy. Nope, I want a pick-up with four wheel drive and a winch and a really good radio! I think I am raising this kid with good values.

Dr Stan
05-27-2013, 11:20 AM
BF you are most certainly a blessed man who is raising your offspring the right way.