PDA

View Full Version : OK, I'm "guilty"

Dr Stan
05-23-2013, 03:57 PM
I am "guilty" of using a lawn & leaf blower to "sweep" my shop floor and I suspect we probably have other "closet leaf blower users" on the forum. Sure is easier, quicker, etc than ye old push broom. It is especially easier on my back as it still hurts from my Sept car wreck.

However, the shop floor still could use a good mopping. In the past I've used a commercial grade string mop as I do not think a sponge mop or something like s "Swiffer" http://www.swiffer.com/products/swiffer-sweeper will hold up or do much cleaning in a shop environment. So there is this issue of back pain. I'm not willing to use the string mop right now as it could only aggravate my back and I don't think my therapist would think too much of my doing so either.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to "mop" the floor without a lot of back strain? Scrubbing it on my hands & knees does not exactly excite me either.

I have a pressure washer, but really don't want to use it as the inside of the walls are sheeted with MDF and it does not hold up well when it gets wet.

topct
05-23-2013, 04:06 PM
What's wrong with using a shop vac? Crap the last thing I would let loose in my shop is a leaf blower.

Arthur.Marks
05-23-2013, 04:18 PM
That's a hard one, Stan. This is just thinking out loud now... Maybe a garden hose connected to your shop sink faucet? Use a rubber squeegee on the end of a broom handle to "wipe" the floor. It would be easier if you had a drain somewhere to direct it too. Otherwise, maybe use a light sprayer like a gardener would so you don't create a flood? I'm trying to avoid a heavy bucket of water, likewise a heavy mopping implement and no bending over either. A hurting back sure does limit things. Sorry to hear you're in pain.

Jim2
05-23-2013, 04:21 PM
Shoot with a title like that, I thought you were going to cop to PMing FlyLo. . . .

Cleaning?!? I got nothing.

Jim

jnissen
05-23-2013, 04:31 PM
I use a shop vac to pick up the worst of it then use "Simple Green" to cut the oil film and gunk and use a string mop and squeeze bucket to finish it off. The simple green really takes a great deal of scrubbing out of the equation but adding a bit of muscle certainly helps. I also have a large stiff bristle brush on a long handle to scrub very dirty areas prior to the wet mop. Worst case hire a neighbor kid to come in and help you.

A.K. Boomer
05-23-2013, 04:52 PM
What's wrong with using a shop vac? Crap the last thing I would let loose in my shop is a leaf blower.

Times 2

lakeside53
05-23-2013, 05:21 PM
To heck with mopping... Assuming you have a "wet/dry" vac, use the "wet" feature to suck up any water and detergent you spray on. I did my entire 900 sq foot garage (after an "accident" with spraying paint) with paint stripper and a garden hose.

Dr Stan
05-23-2013, 05:24 PM
Otherwise, maybe use a light sprayer like a gardener would so you don't create a flood? I'm trying to avoid a heavy bucket of water, likewise a heavy mopping implement and no bending over either. A hurting back sure does limit things. Sorry to hear you're in pain.

This has merit. I could combine the sprayer with a decent sponge mop and get the job done WO too much bending. I'll have to see what I can find locally. I also have a good deck brush on a broom handle.

Unfortunately I did not think far enough ahead and build in floor drains. I can however push it out the overhead door.

bob_s
05-23-2013, 06:06 PM
Scrubbing it on my hands & knees does not exactly excite me either.

When I herniated a disc in my back 5 years ago one of the recommended exercises was getting down on all fours and wagging my tail like a dog - pretty much the same as scrubbing floors by hand. It does help!

Of course, what with queue jumpers in the Alberta healthcare system, I missed out on getting surgery done in an expeditious manner, and am living with spinal chord damage.

bborr01
05-23-2013, 06:17 PM
Stan,

I can't help you with an easy way but what I do is slosh some water with detergent in it on the floor and scrub it around with a stiff bristle broom, then vacuum it up with a shop vac. Works very well, I think better than a mop.

Brian

oxford
05-23-2013, 06:19 PM
I have swept the shop floor with the leaf blower before. It works really well in the wood shop. We don't have dust collection so after a while the dust accumulates everywhere. I put a box fan pointing at the door and start at the other end top to bottom. It works well. Its no real different than sweeping the floor with an air hose.

Dr Stan
05-23-2013, 06:50 PM
Its no real different than sweeping the floor with an air hose.

That's also my rationale. The custodians at work use small battery operated lawn & leaf blowers to get into all the nooks & crannies.

Glug
05-23-2013, 07:30 PM
How about one of those floor washing robots?

Dr Stan
05-23-2013, 07:32 PM
How about one of those floor washing robots?

Hum, wonder if they would be willing to give me one for testing?

firbikrhd1
05-23-2013, 09:15 PM
I too confess to using a leaf blower to clean up my shop floor. I also (although not often enough) use a heavy duty degreaser and a stiff brush on a long handle to scrub the floor and then hose it out.

Evan
05-23-2013, 09:27 PM
When the wife is not home I have been known to sweep from the kitchen and down the basement stairs using a compressed air hose. Easy way to get the swarf back where it belongs. She caught me once and went a little ballistic. I do not understand why. It makes perfect sense to me.

BigMike782
05-23-2013, 09:39 PM
How does Sir John clean the floor in his shop? garden rake and a pitch fork?

vpt
05-23-2013, 10:06 PM
I use a leaf blower now and then, mostly in the spring (spring cleaning) to get the dust out of the corners that you can't get with a shop vac. I do routinely shop vac my shop and sweep and squeegee when the cars bring in water. But nothings works for cleaning out the corners like a leaf blower. However since I got my new compressor with bigger lines and a great flowing system I found my blow guns works just as well as the leaf blower.

flylo
05-24-2013, 12:28 AM
If you cover the floor almost solid with tools & equipment, no need to clean anywhere but the path.

1200rpm
05-24-2013, 07:53 AM
hmmm... itching powder and a large, longhaired dog may work.

vpt
05-24-2013, 07:57 AM
I think the leaf blower works better with some garage designs better than others. My shop/garage has two front bay doors and one rear bay door, so when I open the rear and front I have a good wind flow threw the shop and "blow" in the direction the wind is blowing. Any dust and stuff that gets kicked up is sucked out right away. The shop is always the cleanest after a good blowing.

Dr Stan
05-24-2013, 08:16 AM
When the wife is not home I have been known to sweep from the kitchen and down the basement stairs using a compressed air hose. Easy way to get the swarf back where it belongs. She caught me once and went a little ballistic. I do not understand why. It makes perfect sense to me.

That would have made an excellent video for YouTube. :)

flylo
05-24-2013, 09:49 AM
Quick story & not of "woe" by how men & wemen think. My wife & I bought the biggest, best shop vac I've ever seen at a yardsale for $10. It was huge & you could not turn it over, I'm sure $500+ new. I took it to the big hanger at the airport. That week the tornado hit the hanger. Took 3 hrs to get there & normally took 1/2 hr because of downed trees, power lines, etc. Dawn came & I'm looking at all the destruction & loss. Planes smashed & broken, terrible destruction. My sell rang, it was my wifr wanting to know if the vac was OK! Took 3 days moving down walls, planes, rtc with equipment & I found it, took it home & proudly anounced the vac was OK where do you want it. She says I don't want that it's way too big. :confused:Men & women are different!
A quick note on safety, about a week after we're cleaning up moving & salvaging what we could standing in 3 to 4" of water when the city's electrical truck stops & asked if we want him to kill the power. I said no the fire dept pulled the meter. He said oh no on a service that large the power doesn't run thru the meter. I hit a switch & some lights came on! I think it has a 500amp 240 3 phase service. Just wanted to pass that along as we could have been fried & I thought all power went thru meters but I learned not.

paulsv
05-24-2013, 10:36 AM
I use a shop vac or a broom on the shop floor, and sweep or vac often. If you do it often enough, it stays pretty good. Compressed air or leaf blowers just put too much dust and grit in the air for me.

I have a garage where I keep all of my yard equipment- garden tractors and implements, snowblowers, etc. When that gets really bad I'll fire up my 10 HP Agrifab Chip 'n Vac, set it outside the garage, and put together two 12 foot long 5" diameter hoses, and vac up everything. It's really powerful- this spring I was using it to clean up the planting beds, and I sucked up a 4" diameter rock. That made a heck of a mess of the impeller and shroud, both of which had to be replaced. It sounded like a gattling gun going off next to your ear.

lakeside53
05-24-2013, 11:24 AM
A quick note on safety, about a week after we're cleaning up moving & salvaging what we could standing in 3 to 4" of water when the city's electrical truck stops & asked if we want him to kill the power. I said no the fire dept pulled the meter. He said oh no on a service that large the power doesn't run thru the meter. I hit a switch & some lights came on! I think it has a 500amp 240 3 phase service. Just wanted to pass that along as we could have been fried & I thought all power went thru meters but I learned not.

Same thing at my house (400 amp single phase). My meter is run from CT's - the main power bypasses it entirely. I should placard it...