PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion sought on web page photos

Errol Groff
05-23-2013, 07:49 PM
I have finally figured out how to make the images in my photo slide shows large. Please take a moment to look at these two slide shows and let me know what you think. The firetruck photos are shown as 960 x 720

http://neme-s.org/Firefighters_Meet_May_2013/Firefighter.html

And the Waushakum Live Steamers photos are 640 x 480

http://neme-s.org/Waushakum_May_2013/2013-05-19.html

Thanks for helping out!

mklotz
05-23-2013, 07:55 PM
Bigger is better. Much better.

BTW, you're a pretty good photographer.

mars-red
05-23-2013, 07:56 PM
I don't know how much of a help this is, but they look great to me! Good color, well framed, and the little slideshow player dealie seems to work well and looks cool.

The 640x480 photos are pretty tiny on a 1080p screen, but larger photos are probably a hassle for some people. Is there an easy way to set up that slideshow player so that it scales down if the viewport is resized smaller?

Errol Groff
05-23-2013, 08:16 PM
My screen is 19" diagonal (square screen) and I mostly wondered how the slide show looks on a wide screen monitor. The slide show program defaults to 640x4480 so I tried some pictures at 1280x960 and, on my screen, I had to scroll up and down to see the top and bottom of vertically oriented photos. So I dropped back 960x720 which fits my screen nicely. I don't know what happens on a smaller screen but if someone would care to comment that would be much appreciated.

Marv, thanks for the compliment. I think of myself as a picture taker more than a photographer.

Errol

sandiapaul
05-23-2013, 08:20 PM
Great photos I always appreciate your coverage of various events, even one I attend myself!
OK so my one thought, I like the systems where the "next" button is centered and on the right side of the pic. That way I can center the image up and down and just keep clicking to the next photo. With the arrow button on the bottom left I can't see the whole image and have to scroll each time.

Thanks,

Paul

Glug
05-23-2013, 09:06 PM
I can't see'em because they seem to be flash.

Evan
05-23-2013, 09:21 PM
They are great pictures but watching the large sequence takes about 1.5 megabytes per image. That sucks up a lot of my very limited daily data allowance enough so I won't watch it all.

Mike Amick
05-23-2013, 11:54 PM
Very nice ...

As someone else mentioned .. it would be nice if there were some type of user interface to
hurry to the next pic .. or pause on something of interest.

Don't know if your using a free version of the flash slide creator .. but .. when I clicked on
the slide show, the program you created it with, came up. You really don't want that
to happen.

But .. I would say you are really on the right track

ulav8r
05-23-2013, 11:57 PM
The large image nearly fills the vertical on my 15.7" laptop screen. Looks great. Based on Evan's response it would be great if you could give the user a choice.

ammcoman2
05-24-2013, 09:06 AM
If you are just a "picture taker" then you are close to the top of the class.

Geofff

topct
05-24-2013, 11:03 AM
22.5 wide screen, large pictures look great.

Errol Groff
05-24-2013, 01:09 PM
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I have decided, for now, to go with slightly lower resolution photo at the "lareg" size of 960x720. Sadly it doesn't seem possible to meet every ones specific need so I have to compromise.

mikeamick: Yours is the first time I have heard bout the program opening with the pictures. Don't see how that would happen unless you alos have Flash Slideshow Maker on your machine. There is a control button on the lower left side of the pictures that allows pausing.

Paul: None of the templates seem to have the control buttons in the center (bottom) of the screen. I will look again to be sure that i didn't miss something.

Thanks to all for the compliments on the picture taking, they are much appreciated.

Errol

Glug: I guess they are in flash but that is what the program creates. The photos in the slideshows are the same ones on the web page so you aren't missing out on anything.

Black Forest
05-24-2013, 01:54 PM
The pictures are great. If it was me I would shorten up your dissolves between each picture. Slow dissolves are fatiguing to the eyes. Also is there the possibility to have the number of pictures in the slideshow displayed?

Bob Fisher
05-24-2013, 05:00 PM
Can't open 'em on an I Pad.Bob.

jdunmyer
05-27-2013, 07:38 PM
I frankly can't see much difference between the pics on my screen, about 17" diagonal. In my opinion, 640 X 480 is big enough for viewing on the web, larger only wastes bandwidth. That is NOT the case for pics that are to be printed.

sasquatch
05-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Heck, i'm just happy to see them.!!!!:D

Errol posts some great pics i would never get to see, much appreciated.