PDA

View Full Version : Pedestal grinder dust collector?

Jaakko Fagerlund
05-24-2013, 06:12 PM
At work I'm kind of fed up with cleaning others mess from around the pedestal grinders. They both have a nice chute around the wheels that ends up as a 80 mm tube in the end, but there is no vacuum or even a dust bin in there, so all the crap piles on the ground.

What sort of ideas, systems or vacuums are there that would be suitable for this? If you have built something, how did you do it and does it work?

I'm mainly looking at a vacuum to really suck the dust away from the wheels, but obviously this can't be filtered through a bag or Bad Smell will emit when the bag lights up from the sparks. Any way to prevent this?

Rosco-P
05-24-2013, 07:07 PM
Small Torit unit like a 62 or 64 will handle the dust from one or more grinders.

alanganes
05-24-2013, 07:31 PM
I just hooked mine up to an old shop vac that I turn on before grinding stuff. Annoyingly loud but it gets most all of the debris thrown off by the grinder and my 2x72 belt grinder. I generally use a cheap pair of those foam earplugs on a headband left by the grinder to control the noise.
In my case it is in a home shop environment, so the amount of junk generated is pretty limited but it works well. At some point I plan to vent the exhaust from the vac outside to quell the noise just a bit and expell anything that gets by the filter outdoors. Not high-class but it works OK for me.

Mr Fixit
05-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Jaakko,
Try searching on this site for a cyclone type vacuum system, there was a post just a week or so. I found this old post link http://homepage3.nifty.com/amigos/index-e.html
that gives the idea. works well on mine, I used a 5gal bucket and a house vac that I cut off the head and handle then mounted it to the top of the bucket, toss it when it dies. been running it for 3 yrs so far and it still SUCKS!

Mr. fixit for the family
Chris :)

Weston Bye
05-24-2013, 08:41 PM
If nothing else, fit a tube straight down to a covered but vented 5 gallon (or equivalent metric) pail so that the grinding junk falls there rather than on the floor. Even a little computer fan, properly filtered, on top of the pail will "suggest" what direction the dust cloud should travel.

TOOLZNTHINGS
05-24-2013, 09:18 PM
Be aware of the possibility of a fire from a hot spark reaching the vacuum set up. Especially if it smoldered while you are not in the shop..

PeteM
05-25-2013, 03:51 AM
I built a sheet metal duct to connect both ports on a 10" grinder. It goes from there in about 2.5" flex metal pipe (smooth bore, from McMaster, sort of like flex muffler pipe) to a cheap canister meant for use with a vac. in cleaning fireplaces (it basically traps sparks). Finally into a shop vac.

Use the same setup (with a different catch) for dry surface grinding.

Works OK.

Jaakko Fagerlund
05-25-2013, 04:59 AM
Thank you for the answers, seems that the cheapeast and easiest at the moment is to try out the vented bucket first, then figure out later if it needs a blower.

Been thinking if those air duct blowers would work here, they are designed to handle dust but I would still put some non-flammable filter on it first. What do you think?

Be aware of the possibility of a fire from a hot spark reaching the vacuum set up. Especially if it smoldered while you are not in the shop..

This is the reason why I didn't want to just connect the existing vacuum system to the grinders. First it would need 20 meters of additional pipe work and then hoping that the sparks don't travel in there, as there is graphite dust and a nice big cloth filter, all just waiting for an excuse to light up :)

On the surface grinder there is a system where the air is first sucked in to a 200 liter barrel so that it is forced to circulate and then it exits from the middle to the filter bag and exhaust. This too is too far away to rob from, but the circulating air system with maybe water on the bottom might be a working solution? The SG surely sucks so good that the barrel has to be emptied once a year, as it is half full of liquid :D

boslab
05-25-2013, 06:53 AM
I accidentally left a ring magnet out of a microwave under my grinder, caught all the metallics anyway, looked like a hedgehog!
Mark

Forestgnome
05-25-2013, 09:56 AM
I've seen a number of people build a setup where the dust first enters a bucket full of water. Just a 5 gal bucket with two hose connections in the lid.

Lew Hartswick
05-25-2013, 10:10 AM
At school we have 2 Baldor pedestal grinders that have "dust collectors" on them
as original equipment. It is a pretty good size motor driving a blower into a
canvas bag. The suction side is "plumbed" to both wheels with flexible ducting
about 2" dia. I've had to empty the bags several times over the last many
years. :-) No sign of any sparks causing any trouble. I'm sure by the time any
sparks get through the ducting/blower they are well extinguished.
I just wish the 2" belt sander had some similar collector. It is always left
with a mess on the floor all around it at the end of every day. :-(
...lew...

iMisspell
05-25-2013, 11:25 PM
Dont know what they are or what they are rated at, but the welder at work has a "vacuum" system when they do long welds around pipe using a welding positioner... this is a big unit framed to a wall, but it does have filters, maybe one of the welders here can suggest a filter that would work just the same for dry grinding dust/sparks.

chriskat
05-26-2013, 12:13 AM
When I was in school the shop teacher had a bicycle tire innertube hanging from both tubes. To be clear, he cut the tube removing the stem section entirely; the two open ends were attached to the tubes on the grinder. So one innertube did the entire job.

We just pulled it off and emptied it periodically.

Jeff

edited to add more detail

valleyboy101
05-26-2013, 09:08 PM
I've seen ferrous metal dust collectors at industrial auction. I have a worry about home built machines collecting a load of sparks with unhappy results. The machines that I have seen didn't look that complex or expensive, and I'm looking for such a machine myself.
Michael