PDA

View Full Version : OT - how to remove coolant smells from my clothes!!

elginrunner
05-25-2013, 06:24 AM
After ten years as a medical field technologist, I've made a life change, and gotten a job at a machine shop. I'm into my third week as a Barber-coleman hobbs machine operator, and a Fellows 10-2 shaper operator. As anyone who has ran these types of machines will attest, you get a bit of coolant on you:D

My wife has tried many home remedies to get the odor out, vinegar, pre soaking, oxy booster, and what not. Is there any way to get the smell out, or do I have work clothes that forever smell like yesterdays work....???

boslab
05-25-2013, 06:50 AM
Quick soak in bicarbonate of soda solution should ease the problem, you can add a little borax as well but optional, that's what the missus tells me!
Mark

adatesman
05-25-2013, 08:34 AM
Clothes for work and clothes for home, and don't wash them together. Or better yet, wash the work clothes elsewhere since the oil/chips are hard to get out of the machine. Best solution is a uniform service that supplies and washes them for you.

Been there, done that.

Dr Stan
05-25-2013, 08:50 AM
Best solution is a uniform service that supplies and washes them for you.

AS an employee of a uniform rental company I'll second that idea.

1-800miner
05-25-2013, 08:52 AM
New job...new wife...old clothes

Zero_Divide
05-25-2013, 10:02 AM
Wash work clothes separately.
After workclothes wash regular socks or something and the t-shirts and stuff. Only then you throw your wifes panties in there

Tony Ennis
05-25-2013, 11:05 AM
If it's that awful get a new washer, and use the old one for work clothes exclusively.

Scottike
05-25-2013, 11:50 AM
I used to do a lot of boat work and would come home smelling of diesel, oily bilge, hydraulic fluid, etc.
the wife used a cup or so of sudsy ammonia added to the wash, with the detergent, would usually take care of it.
Just don't mix ammonia and bleach!

darryl
05-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Not completely relevant, but I have at times had to get greasy or oily stains out of clothes. When spot and stain removers didn't work, I thought I'd try fast orange hand cleaner since there was nothing to lose at that point. Not only did it completely remove the stain, but it washed out without leaving a trace. I think the nastiest one I had was that black chain lube that came off on a friends light colored pants. Took it right out and didn't alter the color.

Dr Stan
05-25-2013, 03:17 PM
try some baking soda

elf
05-25-2013, 09:13 PM
Home remedies may work, but have you tried contacting the coolant manufacturer?

Don Young
05-25-2013, 09:34 PM
A friend in the laundry business told me that they used Pine-Sol to remove grease and oil from clothing so that may help.

elginrunner
05-25-2013, 09:34 PM
elf,

I've worked there all of three weeks part time, I start full time on tuesday! I don't have a clue who makes our coolant, or even what type it is.....

Thanks to everyone who has replied, the wife will try a baking soda pre soak before washing.....

Boostinjdm
05-25-2013, 10:46 PM
I don't know about coolant, but when I wash really oily, greasy, or mill scale stained clothes, I dump in some Simple Green. If I open the lid and the clothes still have a strong smell, I wash them again. Even my shop rags come out clean after two washes.

jnissen
05-25-2013, 11:34 PM
Second the simple green. Pre-soak the stains with 100% and it usually only requires a single wash. It's removed some really nasty axle grease in the past and made a believer out of me. I do use standard laundry soap and oxyclean in with the wash and simple green. The combo really suds up but works for me.

Mike Burch
05-26-2013, 12:03 AM
Work in the nude.
Or, preferably, wear overalls and chuck them in the washing machine once a year or so.

John Stevenson
05-26-2013, 04:38 AM
Buy a pair of $5 jeans and shirt from wallmart, wear them just for work, change at work and come home in decent gear.

When you can't bend down in the $5 jeans, throw them away and get another set.

You can't wash a pair of jeans and get them clean for $5.

When I do the China factory run, I only take cheap clothes over and dump them all in China, luggage allowance is 23 Kg and why use that to bring dirty clothes back ?

NiftyNev
05-26-2013, 06:22 AM
You can't wash a pair of jeans and get them clean for $5.

Same for curtains. Buy cheap, hang them and throw away when dirty. Save a fortune on not washing them.

Nev.

John Stevenson
05-26-2013, 06:26 AM
Same for curtains. Buy cheap, hang them and throw away when dirty. Save a fortune on not washing them.

Nev.

Yup,
Curtains, then dust sheets, then rag, then fire lighters

Peter S
05-26-2013, 10:52 AM
Am i the only one.....I open the cupboard to get a clean pair of overalls - aaahhh - the nice smell of coolant perfumes the air....:)

Alistair Hosie
05-26-2013, 05:08 PM
Surely the modern bio powders for washing machines should take care of this I am left wonderring why not? Have fun with your career change however and take it easy you smelly devil you.LOL Alistair