• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gbritnell
    • May 2003

5 cylinder radial with a proper propeller

Gentlemen,
    My project from 2011-2012 was a 5 cylinder radial aircraft engine. Here is the thread that I posted. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...radial-running
    My initial attempts at running the engine with the 3 blade plastic propeller weren't very successful due to the lack of mass in the prop. Centrifugal force in miniature engines is one of the elements that can't be scaled down. To help out with the running and tuning I made up a brass flywheel for the engine. This would allow the carburetion and ignition settings to be played with at lower rpm's. Once I was close it was time to make up an aluminum propeller to replace the brass flywheel. The prop is 13.5 inches in diameter. It's made from 6061 aluminum. The hub is 2 pieces and clamps onto the blades which have a large boss on the bottom to secure the blades in place. The blades have an airfoil shape to them although they were left a little thicker for added mass. The pitch has been initially set to about 6.
    gbritnell
  • DFMiller
    • Jan 2005

That is cool.
    Your work never ceases to amaze me.
    Thanks
    Dave

Comment

• Paul Alciatore
      • May 2002

Purrs like a kitten! Beautiful! A work of art!

So when do you start on the plane. That sucker deserves to fly.
      Paul A.
      s
      Golden Triangle, SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
      You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

• Norman Bain
        • Apr 2012

Super impressive work. Love the sound ... seems tourqie (if that a word spelt correctly) as well.

Comment

• sasquatch
          • May 2006

Thanks for the great video Geo, much appreciated. Another fine piece of work.

Comment

Working...
          X