PDA

View Full Version : Uses for 80-gallon stainless tank

alsinaj
05-29-2013, 02:55 PM
My 80-gallon insulated stainless buffer tank (for hydronic heat) has developed a small leak around a fitting and is going to be replaced under warranty tomorrow.

Before taking the old tank to the dump, I'm wondering if, two months from now, I'll discover that I should have kept it for some project not yet thought of.
The tank (with its insulated shell) is about 24" in diameter, and 5' tall.

Any thoughts?

Jon Heron
05-29-2013, 03:07 PM
Biodiesel reactor?
Solar hot water storage tank?
Cut it lengthwise and make a BBQ?
Cheers,
Jon

Evan
05-29-2013, 03:40 PM
Giant ultrasonic cleaner in the megawatt range?

alsinaj
05-29-2013, 04:08 PM
Evan, Excellent idea! Got a circuit for it? Transducers? JA

lakeside53
05-29-2013, 04:09 PM
Don't dump it - sell it for scrap. Strip off the non-ferrous and it's about $1/lb here (assuming 300 series).

boslab
05-29-2013, 05:50 PM
Start making shine!, I,m sure it'll be usefull
Mark

Gary Paine
05-29-2013, 05:59 PM
.....is going to be replaced under warranty tomorrow.

Around here, the warranty replacement would require exchange.:)
If not, a flattened sheet of stainless that big would make a work surface, splash guard, or new chip tray for a machine. Just sayin....

gzig5
05-29-2013, 06:32 PM
Should make a heck of a smoker or BBQ depending on the insulation.

sasquatch
05-29-2013, 06:50 PM
Never get rid of something like that!!

A good use will come for it eventually!

Duffy
05-29-2013, 06:55 PM
Silver solder the leak, pressure test it and you have an air reciever FOREVER!

Glug
05-29-2013, 06:57 PM
Second the smoker/bbq suggestion. Those guys go bonkers for those.

Post it on craigslist. Maybe even check out the smoker resources and build one yourself.

This is a great starting point, a BBQ dimension calculator.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20871

vpt
05-29-2013, 07:00 PM
There is no way I would throw out any sort of sizable stainless piece, especially a tank with just a small hole that can be fixed.

Sounds like a perfect tank for making beer or moonshine!

Arcane
05-29-2013, 07:54 PM
There is no way I would throw out any sort of sizable stainless piece, especially a tank with just a small hole that can be fixed.

Sounds like a perfect tank for making beer or moonshine!

Absolutely!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLlnC4KUdCY

madwilliamflint
05-29-2013, 08:05 PM
Yeah. I'm definitely in the "what COULDN'T you do with it!?!" camp. BBQ/Smoker, Still, all of the above.

darryl
05-29-2013, 08:27 PM
I'd be surprised if you get to keep it, but if you do- what fluid was contained in it? If just plain water, then you could make it a 'cold buffer' and insert it first in line where your cold water comes in. With a collector pan at the bottom and a bit of a shroud around it, you can circulate room air around it. That will cool the air to some extend and remove some of the moisture- a bit of air conditioning pretty much for free.

You could also make it a buffer for outgoing waste water to absorb heat from it before discharging it. The cooler incoming water would be warmed slightly before it goes into the water heater. That would work, but it might be a little intensive to modify it for what you'd save.

I'm assuming, perhaps wrongly, that it's a pressure tank. If it's not designed for water system pressure, it's basically a holding tank. Could be used for rainwater, if you collect and use that- could be used as a filtration tank if you have need of that.

If it has been used with an antifreeze solution of some kind, it may not be suitable for passing water that's used for cooking or drinking.

ScubaSteve
06-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Sell it to a homebrewer....that would bring $$$$....