PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt D28065 Right Angle Grinder, a review

RussZHC
05-30-2013, 01:31 AM
http://www.dewalt.com/tools/metalworking-grinders-high-performance-small-angle-trigger-grip-grinders-d28065.aspx

The link is to the particular right angle grinder I recently purchased.

As I get more into the welding end of things, what I thought was silly at first, multiple grinders, is now becoming the case more and more. I just find it easier to leave some "standard" items on the grinder rather than swapping various pieces around.
For many years I had a single Makita "rat tail" grinder, and then bought another, used. Both have served well and one continues on but when the "original" died and the simple fixes did nothing I went looking for new grinder(s).

Found the Dewalt D28065 on sale locally for about 45% off (the claimed list price "here" is around $207 Cdn) with the regular price of the Makita model I had (9005B) about $30 more than the Dewalt sale price but the Makitas are almost never on sale, so...

Overall, this grinder is listed as a 5"/6" whereas the Makita is considered a 5" but name plate says 125mm in most cases and was sold for years as 4.5".
The Dewalt comes with two guards, partial, that are tool less (spring band that locks) and the usual couple of adapters for different discs both flat and dished. The piece for the dished disc and the pin wrench are pretty generic stamped (?) pieces but the nuts are of better quality and looked to be finished better as well. The threaded shaft and the way the "head" is designed are good but just different enough that any dish wheel adapter fits but is just a bit thick and rubs. A more fully enclosing guard is available for use with cut off discs, they strongly suggest it but I am guessing I will end up welding a piece of sheet onto the other side of the 6" guard and use that, if I feel the need.
There is one feature I am a bit undecided about, these nuts are "quick change" but both the nuts themselves and the 5/8 - 11 threaded shaft have rubber "O"rings on them and while some may like what they do, as far as I can tell they just "retain" the nuts, they also make it, for me anyway, more difficult to remove. I don't know I really understand the need for those rings and do not intend to replace them when they wear out which they will given their location. Haven't a clue what the "quick change" moniker is referring to...EDIT: I re-read the info and the only thing it maybe referring to is the claim of "tool free wheel change" as the nuts are knurled...begs the question why include the pin wrench...
The cord is a flexible rubber one and perhaps a foot to 18" longer than many. I found this length a benefit as I have a couple of plugs mounted along a ceiling joist so it is more than long enough for the grinder to reach the floor and not pull out or bend the prongs of the plug. The brushes are supposedly part of a new design that allows easier access. Not sure, too new but also I have never found access to brushes on any tool particularly difficult to deal with...knock on wood.

I was looking specifically for the "rat tail" version of a grinder since, for me, it feels about the most maneuverable though the length is certainly greater than many other right angle grinders. The Dewalt may in fact be slightly longer than others (have little to compare it to) but in my hands it feels very well balanced. There is a simple trigger and a older style push button to lock the trigger "on" plus a lock button for the shaft to quicken changing discs.
One other grinder I did look at, the similar Rigid model, had a button that locked the trigger but you had to depress that same button to get the tool to run and I found the location very, very awkward (my hands are not the smallest but also not the "nimblest", pushing the button in with the thumb and then having to wrap the index finger round to squeeze the trigger just seem "wrong").
I like the simple switch as opposed to the Dewalt die grinder I have with a paddle type switch that has a secondary "rocker" in the middle that you need to pivot flat first.
Like the cushioned side handle, firm and not too grippy, AND it attaches to either side at 90 degrees. I don't like the grinders that have the thread in side handle at an angle away from the user. I don't know that I need the similar cushioning on the handle forming the "rat tail", not all versions of similar tools from most makers have said cushioning so I guess they can't decide either. Never found any right angle grinder to vibrate so badly as to need a cushioned main handle.

Lots of power and does not seem to mind at all if you really bear down onto the flap wheel (got the flap wheel on one, wire cup on another, cut disc on Makita and actual grinding wheel on larger Makita).
A welcome thing for me, and unexpected since it does not appear to be mentioned in literature, is that it spins down considerably more quickly than the Makita did and I find this very handy as I often find myself holding a part in the vice or other clamp, grind a bit and have to move the part so need to put the grinder down, most often on the floor. It eases the mind a bit if you are sure the disc has just about stopped spinning before it touches down.

As a bit of a side note, I found a recent online thread where some users were having trouble sourcing 5" discs of any sort, including going back to their local Dewalt supplier. Frankly, I am not sure what this is about...I have never had any trouble sourcing 5" discs/flap wheels/grinding wheels of any sort at literally any place that would sell them.

So far so good cleaning off mill scale, putting bevels on where needed, getting rid of flux and other usual tasks.

flylo
05-30-2013, 02:00 AM
Best thing Black & Decker ever did to improve thier "cheap throw away image" was to make the tools yellow & buy the rights to the Dewalt name. We bought $10K worth of B&D Pro tools with a 1 year buy back. Great tools but we couldn't give them away. The B&D came out with Dewalt & those sold like hot cakes. At the time same tool in a yellow housing & new name. Like Home Depot or Lowes selling Maytag water heaters. Maytag never made a water heater but the name is well known. I saw the 2 pk of Dewalt 4.5" grinders somewhere for just over $100 with the paddle switches. Good tools & great marketing!

J Tiers
05-30-2013, 08:41 AM
I was looking specifically for the "rat tail" version of a grinder since, for me, it feels about the most maneuverable though the length is certainly greater than many other right angle grinders. The Dewalt may in fact be slightly longer than others (have little to compare it to) but in my hands it feels very well balanced.

I have no clue why anyone ever buys the 'fat brick" versions, like the HF grinder. A stupid design which may be cheaper, bu has no other reason to exist. OK it is a bit smaller/shorter, maybe once in a while that's good, whatever.

I cannot think of anything much less ergonomic than the short, fat case where the same fingers that operate the switch have to hold the unit tightly against grinding forces. And the switches are often located in clumsy places.

With the "rat tail" handle, as you call it, you get much more leverage, and can more easily separate the "holding" from the "switching" actions. Safer, easier, and just "better".

That unit looks virtually identical to the one I have, which is neither B&D nor DeWalt. Small difference in the nose, presumably the gearcase deal they mention.

Dunc
05-30-2013, 09:14 AM
Dunno where you bought it Russ but I have found that the B&D/DeWalt/ service centres offer good prices on their brands and substantially cheaper than the usual retail outlets. Every once-in-a-while they have a sale and then the prices can't be beat - at least, for me. Even between sales, usually there are a few loss leaders.

I have also noticed a trend towards selling the battery-powered tools as "bare"; - ie no charger/battery/case - great if you already own some complete tools. Noot only DeWalt, also Milwaukee & Makita.

GNM109
05-30-2013, 09:55 AM
I have a US made DeWalt that is probably about 15 years old. It's yellow, given some dirt and scratches. It's a 4-1/2" version. I did take it apart once just for fun to clean it and grease the gears but I was unable to kill it by doing that. If they still make them in the US, I'd probably buy another one if this one quits, although it shows no signs of doing so. Otherwise, you are just as well off buying H.F. throways. At least you get a nice shiny one now and then.

flylo
05-30-2013, 10:29 AM
The service centers also offer rebuilt tools that were returned to the dealer usually right after being sold & the dealer replaced it. These often look like new for about 1/3 of normal cost & usually have the same warrenty.

Dunno where you bought it Russ but I have found that the B&D/DeWalt/ service centres offer good prices on their brands and substantially cheaper than the usual retail outlets. Every once-in-a-while they have a sale and then the prices can't be beat - at least, for me. Even between sales, usually there are a few loss leaders.

I have also noticed a trend towards selling the battery-powered tools as "bare"; - ie no charger/battery/case - great if you already own some complete tools. Noot only DeWalt, also Milwaukee & Makita.