PDA

View Full Version : Credit Card Blockage, Anyone else?

outback
05-31-2013, 01:52 PM
I have been having difficulty the last 2 weeks ordering shop supplies because my credit card has been blocked by my bank. Last week I placed an order in Texas and the vendor said my credit card failed. I gave them my Debit card and they said it failed as well. Called my bank and they said all credit card transaction from New York, Texas, and Kentucky are block because of the high number of fraud cases in those states.

Tried 5 days ago to place an order at ENCO and again, credit card is blocked because Indiana is now on the credit card fraud list. Today at the local US post office, again people have their credit cards blocked. Just now at another branch of my bank, another customer told me they are having credit card blocks.

Is this a local issue? If this continues our economy could suffer.

Does anyone have a solution? My only solution is to open up accounts with my Vendors and pay monthly with a check sent by snail mail.
Jim

Evan
05-31-2013, 02:59 PM
I see nothing in the news about this. I suggest you check with your credit card company and find out if you are being defrauded. If somebody else has placed a large amount on your account you will be blocked if it raised any flags.

boaterri
05-31-2013, 03:03 PM
When I checked into a Marriott in Dallas 2 weeks ago, my Discover card was declined. When I called to inquire as to why they said that there were many fraudulent charges placed from Texas. I gave them my itinerary and had no further problems.

Rick

saltmine
05-31-2013, 03:12 PM
I had my gas credit card denied and I got a letter from the Bank of America stating my account was locked. The credit card was legitimate, the company was investigating a couple hundred dollars worth of diesel fuel charged to my card (I don't own a diesel), and the Bank of America message was an attempt to get my passwords and social security number. The big tip-off was the people who sent me the "locked" message didn't know the last Bank of America account I had was closed 22 years ago. And then along comes a message, from American Express....They requested my social security number, passcodes and other account information to "update" my American Express account....which was also closed 25 years ago. Lordy, Lordy, have the scammers been busy? None of them got any information from me, even though they promised terrible retribution.

SGW
05-31-2013, 03:39 PM
About a month ago the fraud bureau of VISA called me up and asked if I had made four purchases at a store I had never heard of in a place I had never heard of. When I said no, they blocked the card and told me how to file a fraud report to get credit for those four transactions. I had to get a new card, of course. I was reasonably impressed, though, that their "suspicious" algorithm flagged those charges and they notified me.

Seems as though it must be very easy to steal numbers, since the problem appears to be huge.

One of my cards offers a "notification of use" service. You can set it up so you get an e-mail whenever a charge greater than some amount is made on the card. I've got the threshold value set at $!.00, so I get notified about everything. It will let me catch any fraud early on, assuming I check each notification.

flylo
05-31-2013, 03:56 PM
That explains alot. I have had a Discover since they started & a month ago I was checking it online & noticed the last didits they show were different, so I called & they wouldn't tell me who but someone I buy from had a breach, Suprised me no one called. I placed a nice order with Cabelas which was overdue so I called & had to talk to security because ammo has been in short supply & 22 shells have a one box a day limit so everyday I order a box ship to store, so it showed lots of charges. I wonder who's behind this?

Evan
05-31-2013, 04:02 PM
I just now had a call from my wife telling me to expect a charge on one of my cards that we share. Pay Pal would not accept her private card as it seemed to be blocked. Must be something going on.

Weston Bye
05-31-2013, 04:55 PM
Perhaps my PayPal rant was related to this.
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/59342-OT-PayPal-Rant

Tony Ennis
05-31-2013, 06:05 PM
Called my bank and they said all credit card transaction from New York, Texas, and Kentucky are block because of the high number of fraud cases in those states.

Preposterous. I work in the credit card industry and I'm in KY. Business as usual.

flylo
05-31-2013, 06:13 PM
Tony I knew I shouldn't have taken Ky plastic for the SB :rolleyes: Just kidding!

Preposterous. I work in the credit card industry and I'm in KY. Business as usual.

Black_Moons
05-31-2013, 06:34 PM
I wonder if there has been a *MAJOR* breach they are keeping under wraps.

Yaknow, Another 200 million account breach like the sony hack.

CCWKen
05-31-2013, 06:46 PM
http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/7-reasons-credit-card-blocked-tips-for-handling-1282.php

Here's something that popped up. Apparently, the cause of mass blocking could be that a merchant processing system was hacked. It must be on the hush-hush as I couldn't find anything else about it.

DAVE GALLAGHER; THE BELLINGHAM HERALD
Published: May 21, 2013 at 3:22 p.m. PDT

The Whatcom Educational Credit Union has been informing its members that it was experiencing a high volume of counterfeit transactions from stolen debit and credit card numbers and it is blocking transactions in some states outside Washington.

WECU is telling members that if they are experiencing problems with their card being blocked while traveling out of state, they can call toll free at 800-525-8703.

The problem appears to be that a merchant's system was compromised, but WECU was waiting for confirmation on that, said Kessa Volland, marketing manager at WECU.

Volland said the states they are card blocking changes as they learn about fraudulent charges. In-state transactions and online orders where the users enter a personal identification number have not been affected

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/05/21/2606085/wecu-tackling-out-of-state-fraud.html#storylink=cpy

Dr Stan
05-31-2013, 07:23 PM
Just bought almost $1000 of aluminum with my credit card from West Metals in Evansville, IN with no problems. Delivered it to me here in KY yesterday.

flylo
06-01-2013, 12:41 AM
Doc, you building a traler or a space shuttle?:confused:

darryl
06-01-2013, 01:49 AM
$1000 worth of aluminum- at the prices these days he's probably just building a bracket or something:)

flylo
06-01-2013, 06:51 AM
I was thinking of when I bought the Bridgeport wirh the mechanical readouts & ask the gentleman what else do you have & he pointed to 4-15"x22' I beams flanged where you can bolt them togerher. I said how much & when he said $20 each I just asked if he had anymore. Hard not to jump up & down sone times.:p
Doc I do have some long Alum I beams, new 7000# brake axles & the 16" new "real trailer" tires on new Alum Custom 8 hole rims. Also not far is a place selling Alum Diamand plate $65 for a 4x8 sheet .065 thick. This stuff is so nice!

BigBoy1
06-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Every time I make a large purchase (+$500) with my credit card, I call the card company BEFORE I make the purchase and advise them the charge is coming, along with the company which will be making the charge. Also, when I leave my state of residence and plan to use the card out of state, I always advise the card company when and what states I'll be in. So far I have not had any credit card problems.

Dr Stan
06-01-2013, 09:38 AM
Doc, you building a traler or a space shuttle?:confused:

6'6" X 14' twin axle flat bed trailer. I had already bought 72' of 2" sq X 1/4" wall tubing and 14' of 2X2X1/4 angle aluminum off Craig's List for $300. The axle will be made from 2 3/8 OD X .218 DOM, the tongue from 3" sq X 1/4" wall aluminum. The spindles are from early 2000s Malibu & Grand Prix and will have functional disk brakes. A Titan surge brake actuator with the solenoid back up lock out will supply braking power. It will be decked with 3/16 aluminum tread plate.

Estimate I'll have at least $3000 in it before I'm done. Close to $2000 now and I still need to buy tires, fenders, springs and suspension links. One like it from a builder would set me back at least $5000 if not $6000.

Its first haul will be to bring back my new to me 1966 Plymouth Satellite rag top. 383 HiPo with a Torqueflite tranny. Now that will be an excellent Honda killer. :) I'll do a complete resto and make it triple black.

flylo
06-01-2013, 09:57 AM
I'd still buy trailer tires. For $1000 more I have a 28' enclosed race car hauler with the rear drop door ramp, Air Conditioning, heat living quarters so your car won't get rained on. A ladder & veiwing platform on top. A new one is $29K. But it takes a good size truck to pull it as the GVW is 12K I think. Have fun!

Rookie machinist
06-01-2013, 11:42 AM
It may also be related to this http://abcnews.go.com/International/cyber-attackers-stole-45m-worldwide-fake-atm-card/story?id=19145462 . $45 million in a day if I remember the whole story correctly.

Dr Stan
06-01-2013, 01:01 PM
I'd still buy trailer tires.

That's part of the budget. BTW, I discovered (to my dismay) one can no longer purchase American made trailer tires. They all come from China even the Goodyear Marathon is Chinese.

Paul Alciatore
06-01-2013, 02:25 PM
The credit card companies look for any unusual activity on your card. Thus, if you are a stay-at-home and suddenly there is a string of purchases across several states, they may put a hold on that card. I only travel occasionally and have had this problem a couple of times. After a days journey, my card is declined at a gas station or restaurant for a purchase under $50. A quick call to the number on the card and a few questions on their part to verify my ID and all is fixed. A sudden large purchase may also trigger a response. It is a good idea to call them and advise of such changes from your normal pattern in advance.

They have good reason for this as there is much CC fraud. I do take reasonable precautions, but had my number, not the card, but just the number stolen one time I visited California. Again, a quick call to the CC company and a new card was issued, the bogus charges were erased and all was well between us.

I DO check all charges on every CC statement against a spreadsheet where I enter each CC purchase as I make it (or a day or two later, at least). This keeps me up on any possible fraud that they may miss. These spreadsheets are part of my home brew Budget workbook where I also plan both household and business expenses a year in advance. It isn't perfect, but it helps a lot.

Evan
06-01-2013, 02:35 PM
I check my CC balance for the online use card every few days on the bank website. It has a nice feature that posts any pending charges that have been entered but not yet cleared so everything shows up immediately. If I catch something like that I can stop it before it actually makes it to the card balance. So far, I have never had a problem. When given the option such as at DX I do not allow them to "remember" my card number. Also, my online use card has full fraud and identity theft insurance.

flylo
06-01-2013, 03:01 PM
10 tears ago a frienf, mu younget son & I dud an "Iornbutt" Riding 1000+ miles in 24 hrs. Really no big deal but we had to get time stamped reciepts to turn in about the 3rd stop his card was locked. He called & got it straightend out.

Evan, your not responsible for any fraud on your card are you. Not here unless you don't report it then iy's capped at $50 I believe.

Highpower
06-01-2013, 03:11 PM
2.4 MILLION customers. My wife was one of them and had to file a fraud report, get a new card, yada, yada, yada....

http://www.kmov.com/home/Schnucks-says-24-million-credit-and-debit-cards-affected-by-hacking-202993581.html