PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Table Cart for 4" x 6" Horizontal Bandsaw...

iMisspell
06-01-2013, 01:01 AM
Gonna be picking up a 4" x 6" Horizontal Bandsaw soon (harbor freight cheap-o) which will be stored under a bench (will not be using the saw all the time, dont have much space to work with). Saw will not (don't think so any way) fit under table with its current base so i was thinking about mounting the saw to this Hydraulic Table Cart (http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-hydraulic-lift-table-94822.html). Seams like it would be easier to move around mounted to the cart not having to deal with lifting the unbalancedness of the saws motor. Im 6'3" so it might be nice to be able to "pump it up" if i wanted to or keep it low in case i have to work with heavy stock.

Any opinions about this idea ?

_

Elninio
06-01-2013, 01:07 AM
Gonna be picking up a 4" x 6" Horizontal Bandsaw soon (harbor freight cheap-o) which will be stored under a bench (will not be using the saw all the time, dont have much space to work with). Saw will not (don't think so any way) fit under table with its current base so i was thinking about mounting the saw to this Hydraulic Table Cart (http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-hydraulic-lift-table-94822.html). Seams like it would be easier to move around mounted to the cart not having to deal with lifting the unbalancedness of the saws motor. Im 6'3" so it might be nice to be able to "pump it up" if i wanted to or keep it low in case i have to work with heavy stock.

Any opinions about this idea ?

_

sell the 4x6 bandsaw and combine the stand money to buy a larger bandsaw

darryl
06-01-2013, 01:43 AM
I'm basically a hobbyist, but I use my saw virtually every day. I could not live with having to pull it out and set up every time I wanted to make a cut. But otherwise I see nothing wrong with your proposal. You might want to make a stud of some kind that you could use to wedge up the table when it's at the height you find comfortable. That way you won't have to worry about the table unexpectedly dropping on you- a good safety feature.

Also, I prefer my saw to not move around when I'm manually using it in vertical mode. Ours at work is on casters, and I have to hook my foot around it to keep it from drifting away.

wtrueman
06-01-2013, 01:44 AM
Use the table as multi-purpose and BUY more!! Wayne.

outback
06-01-2013, 04:27 AM
I think it is a great idea. Just having wheels under the saw will be a plus. Are you going to forget the stand that comes with the saw and attach the saw directly to the lift?

My 4 x 6 saw is 13 years old and still running fine. Used almost every day. I bought a new backup 4 x 6 saw back in 2002 and it is still in the unopened box.

Jim

Dr Stan
06-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Given you're short on room not a bad idea. One suggestion go with this cart http://www.harborfreight.com/capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-69148.html Double the capacity and not much more $. I have the 500Kg version and shortened the handle so the top of the table is just above the handle in the fully raised position. Consequently I can use it for a long heavy or awkward item without interference from the handle. If the future holds a larger shop for you the heavier duty cart will be quite useful, or if you need the cart for a particular job just remove the saw temporally.

mf205i
06-01-2013, 01:05 PM
There are two tools that I had truly underestimated the utility of, the small horizontal band saw and the belt grinder. I added these later in life as I already had a chop saw, vertical band saw and lots of grinders. Now almost every thing I do utilize these two tools and they have become invaluable to me. With this lesson learned I would suggest to you that it is a mistake to put your saw under your bench. You will soon discover that it is one of those tools that will serve you best if it is available at the flick of the switch. If you must, put it on casters or on your hydraulic table so that it can be maneuvered to cut long stock, but its normal home should allow you to cut at least several feet of stock at a moments notice. This is one of the few tools that deserve its own spot of real estate in your shop. Effortless accurate cutting of metals, plastics and wood, you are going to use it more than you can imagine.
Have fun with it, Mike

iMisspell
06-02-2013, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the suggestions... will keep them in mind.

Plan on tossing the original base/legs/table of the saw then mounting the saw directly to the lift table.
Was at harbor frieght today, was gonna buy the saw (miss-caculated the money on the debit card :( ) and was checking out the smaller cart... didnt look too bad, but might hold off and get the bigger one like suggested by DrStan... well see how it goes. Gonna swing back over there tomorrow and pick up the saw.

If it was not for the little room i have, i would get a bigger saw... but this is for a basement hobby thing, i dont have any room and right now i really dont want to spend alot of money on this, if i ever need to cut something big i just take it to work and toss it on the doall, think its a 10x12 or something like that.

Will start a new thread with pictures after every thing is said and done.

_