PDA

View Full Version : The 2013 version of the sheep shearing machine

Black Forest
06-01-2013, 01:18 PM
I am in the process of a complete rebuild on my sheep shearing machine. It will now be trailer mounted. The table and foot restraints will fold down hydraulically when I have the trailer in position. There is place on the trailer to pack all the panels used for my shearing needs.

The pictures posted are quite crude but they will give you an idea of what I have changed. My CAD drawings and models are more for me to conceptualize than to build by them. I ain't Brian in that department but they help me to visualize what I want to do.

The leg restraints will be hydraulically retractable to and from the table. Saftey springs will keep me from quartering a sheep just like I have had on the clamping mechanism from the start.

My goal is to have the unit be as quick to set up and tear down as possible.

The actual leg restraints I have redesigned also. In this version I can release both legs at the same time. In my tests so far they are much superior to the original leg restraints.

Also in this version the crate will put the sheep directly on the conveyor belt part of the table. The hind legs can be restrained before the clamp is opened. The clamp doesn't show this in the drawings but it will have a cutout at the butt end of the sheep to allow me to get to the hind legs before opening the crate clamp.

My wife is still a little mad at me for taking the body part off our horse trailer to mount my shearing machine. I had to buy her a new one before she would leave me alone. Women just don't understand these things.

Also the sheep is discharged off the back of the table into an exhaust race so I don't have to stuff it anywhere when I am done. It just takes one more of the stresses out of the job.

I am 61 this year and I want to make this machine do as much of the work as possible. I just like the challenge to build the best shearing machine in the world. It certainly isn't the cheapest way out for me but it is a fun journey and many of you on here have helped me a great deal along the way.

Thank you

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/burnandreturn/trailerversion_zps0b18f325.jpg (http://s853.photobucket.com/user/burnandreturn/media/trailerversion_zps0b18f325.jpg.html)
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/burnandreturn/cratetipped_zpsac188b91.jpg (http://s853.photobucket.com/user/burnandreturn/media/cratetipped_zpsac188b91.jpg.html)
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/burnandreturn/legrotation_zpsbfa012b0.jpg (http://s853.photobucket.com/user/burnandreturn/media/legrotation_zpsbfa012b0.jpg.html)

dian
06-01-2013, 01:20 PM
i dont see any sheep. where do they go?

btw, would this work for dogs too?

Black Forest
06-01-2013, 01:47 PM
i dont see any sheep. where do they go?

btw, would this work for dogs too?

I don't think so! Maybe a ST. Bernard!

John Stevenson
06-01-2013, 02:35 PM
How about an Old English Sheepdog ?

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/rocky.jpg

Black_Moons
06-01-2013, 04:00 PM
"The leg restraints will be hydraulically retractable to and from the table."
Uh oh....
"Saftey springs will keep me from quartering a sheep"
Well, Id sure hope so. I can only imagen hydraulic leg restraints going.. horrabley wrong, causing much more of a mess then you had intended to clean up.
(But then, I guess air units have there own problem with abruptness)

I would kinda think that air with hydraulic dampers might be nice, as you could adjust the pressure and speed independantly and accurately. With some safety blowoff valves and small sized cylinders to prevent any regulator failure from the aformentioned quartering problems.

But I guess hydraulics and springs are easy enough too.

brian Rupnow
06-01-2013, 04:03 PM
Splendid work and splendid journey!!! I have been with you in spirit ever since you started this sheep shearing adventure. You have progressed both as a machine builder/developer and as a designer. Congratulations, and thank you for including all of us on the forum. What a wonderfully fun adventure it has been!!!----Brian

Black Forest
06-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Splendid work and splendid journey!!! I have been with you in spirit ever since you started this sheep shearing adventure. You have progressed both as a machine builder/developer and as a designer. Congratulations, and thank you for including all of us on the forum. What a wonderfully fun adventure it has been!!!----Brian

Yes Brian it has been a big learning curve but shortened considerably with the help from this forum.

Black Moons I don't know why you are concerned. Haven't you ever had "leg of lamb"? !!!!!!!

flylo
06-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Same old Sheep, different day!

Toolguy
06-01-2013, 05:45 PM
That is pretty cool BF! Show us some pics of the new machine as it comes along. And don't forget pics of more "sheep" ready to go on it!:rolleyes:

Daveb
06-01-2013, 07:08 PM
Some of you guys are showing far too much interest in sheep, we are interested in machinery on this forum - see welding thread for constructional details of sheep appreciation bench.

Black Forest
06-02-2013, 06:06 AM
Some of you guys are showing far too much interest in sheep, we are interested in machinery on this forum - see welding thread for constructional details of sheep appreciation bench.

Dave what thread are you referring to? Where is it located? And yes we like sheep on this forum! At first when I started my journey on here there where many skeptics. Especially from NZ and Aus. but even they came around to understand and appreciate what I was attempting to accomplish. My biggest skeptics have turned into my biggest cheerleaders. The Artful Bodger nearly ran me off the forum at my idea to shear sheep standing up. Me standing not the sheep! After some time he came to appreciate the concept I think. It is a good thing I have a thick skin or I would have put my tail between my legs and gone home with the idea. An upright posture shearing machine is not a new idea and certainly not an original idea on my part. The problem I had was nothing was available that met all my criteria. So with the help of many on this forum and other places we came up with a game plan and then I built the first machine. It was crude and not very good but it was a start. As time has gone by I have refined and redesigned the overall machine to what is now quite practical.

I am hoping that this version will put an end to the journey.

The Artful Bodger
06-02-2013, 07:12 AM
Black Forest, I am sorry if you thought me unfair in my attitude to your project at its beginning but I have seen many gadgets and contraptions for shearing sheep but few if any were as well thought out as yours so perhaps you will excuse my initial pessimism?

BTW, the new version looks very promising but I am sure it is only interim and that eventually you will be able to drive around the paddock in your wool harvester, wooly sheep being sucked in the front, skeins of brightly coloured yarn rolling out the side and bald, rather startled sheep popping out the rear!

Black Forest
06-02-2013, 08:10 AM
Black Forest, I am sorry if you thought me unfair in my attitude to your project at its beginning but I have seen many gadgets and contraptions for shearing sheep but few if any were as well thought out as yours so perhaps you will excuse my initial pessimism?

BTW, the new version looks very promising but I am sure it is only interim and that eventually you will be able to drive around the paddock in your wool harvester, wooly sheep being sucked in the front, skeins of brightly coloured yarn rolling out the side and bald, rather startled sheep popping out the rear!

Please don't give me any more ideas!

I only said you were skeptical. I don't remember exactly but I think you said something along the lines of "If I showed or told my relatives about this idea they would all laugh." But now it is all good and at least I have proved my tenacity!

Daveb
06-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Black Forest, when anyone mentions sheep positioning devices there will always be skeptics, at the very least, a few raised eyebrows. A thick skin is a good thing to have if you are an innovator, you deserve credit for having developed your idea to the point of practical realization. I hope we can look forward to some photos of your machine in operation.

MichaelP
06-02-2013, 06:49 PM
BF, you've just won the Barber Of The Year award.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d7/Weeks_Edwin_Lord_Indian_Barbers_Saharanpore.jpg/800px-Weeks_Edwin_Lord_Indian_Barbers_Saharanpore.jpg

Black Forest
07-15-2013, 12:22 PM
Here is a short video of the adjustable leg restraints on my sheep shearing machine. Now I can adjust the distance between the front and rear leg restraints by just stepping on a pedal. In the video I have only one set of leg restraints mounted. It has two sets both independently adjustable. Lots of machining involved in getting this thing to this stage. Everything is working just how I envisioned it would work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHkOyH91DdQ&feature=youtu.be

Mike Burdick
07-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Too many abrupt angles to weld. Since you already invested in two tables, how about buying a tube bending machine and/or an ironworker?

Black Forest
07-15-2013, 02:59 PM
I already own a hydraulic pipe bender! A ironworker is on my list. I don't see how either of those would get much use in my sheep shearing machine. At least not in the table and leg rotation part. And besides that I like to weld! Now if I was designing this to try to manufacture and sell I would have to find easier less complicated solutions. This machine is getting very expensive. When I amortize out the cost of this machine over the number of sheep I shear each year, well lets just say it is definitely a an expensive hobby!

Rustybolt
07-16-2013, 08:43 AM
Some of you guys are showing far too much interest in sheep,

Guy shows up in a remote mining town in Idaho. After a couple of months of digging and not finding much he wanders into town. This being the west there are a lot more men than women and our friend can't afford one of the "saloon ladies". "Say friend," he asked a stranger in the street, "what do guys do for entertainment around here?" "It's been a couple on months now." "Well."Said the old codger."In about two months the sheepherders and their flocks come through town and you can take your pick." At first he was put off by the thought, but all grossness disappeared after two more months and sure enough the sheep hearders and their flocks wandered through town and the miner cut one out of the flock and had his way with...........................her.
Before he knew it he was on a horse with his hands tied behind his back and a noose was being placed around his neck.
"Wha.? What did I do?"
"You was screwin' sheep."
"Bbbut EVERYONE was doin' it!"
"That was the Sheriff's gal."

mattthemuppet
07-16-2013, 11:35 AM
hmm, there just doesn't seem to be enough automation going on here. A few laser range finders, an arduino and an entirely unnecessary number of clipper holding articulating arms are just what you need I think. If it was me I don't think I'd be happy unless I had something akin to that suggested above, although I'd add a giant suction fan to suck the sheep in.

Actually, the world of catering might offer an alternative suggestion - commercial potato peelers work by rotating a sack or two of spuds in a giant bowl with cutting whatsits on the outside. Are sheep tough enough that you could so the same with 5 or 6 at once? Might cut down on the cutting time per sheep, although at the risk of having terminally dizzy or broken sheep.

All tongue in cheek, I think that your contraption is awesome!

Black Forest
07-16-2013, 12:30 PM
hmm, there just doesn't seem to be enough automation going on here. A few laser range finders, an arduino and an entirely unnecessary number of clipper holding articulating arms are just what you need I think. If it was me I don't think I'd be happy unless I had something akin to that suggested above, although I'd add a giant suction fan to suck the sheep in.

Actually, the world of catering might offer an alternative suggestion - commercial potato peelers work by rotating a sack or two of spuds in a giant bowl with cutting whatsits on the outside. Are sheep tough enough that you could so the same with 5 or 6 at once? Might cut down on the cutting time per sheep, although at the risk of having terminally dizzy or broken sheep.

All tongue in cheek, I think that your contraption is awesome!

Did you really write contraption? OMG that waS not nice. This is a work of art not a contraption! And it has a plc controlling the crate that clamps then lifts the sheep up and turns it over placing it on the table.

Contraption...hmmp.

jackary
07-16-2013, 01:38 PM
BF
I think what you are trying to do is awesome. It is obviously a very difficult problem to solve and you are marching onwards to a good solution. If and when you get there and solve the crux of the problem there will always be others who will jump on your bandwagon with suggestions on how to make it better. I have only once watched a sheep being sheared and it requires a great skill and strength to do this, much harder than a thee year old boy having his hair cut. More power to you
Alan

mattthemuppet
07-17-2013, 09:48 AM
ooh, sorry Black Forest! In my mind, contraption is anything complicated that I don't understand, it doesn't have any inherent positive or negative meaning. Would edifice be better?

Black Forest
07-17-2013, 02:16 PM
No edifice is not better. To me that refers to a building of great size.

Why not something like say, machine!

mattthemuppet
07-17-2013, 05:57 PM
hmm, machine seems like such a mundane word to use. Of course it's a machine, it does mechanical labour. I was gunning for a more evocative word. Edifice can also mean a large or towering construct, even of thought. I think I'll give up now before I insult you further!

The Artful Bodger
07-17-2013, 08:35 PM
Plans are available on-line...

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080115184902/wallaceandgromit/images/e/ec/Knit-O-Matic_Plans.jpg

http://wallaceandgromit.wikia.com/wiki/File:Knit-O-Matic_Plans.jpg

Toolguy
07-17-2013, 08:55 PM
AHA! Now we have found the secret of BF's success! He simply found the plans on line and copied them.:rolleyes:

Shade
07-17-2013, 10:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHkOyH91DdQ&feature=youtu.be
Who is the cutie in the video???

Sorry I am just a dirty old man... LOL

mike4
07-17-2013, 11:06 PM
Sir Johns dishrag could do with a haircut , maybe he could drop it of on his next trip to Russia.
Michael

Black Forest
07-18-2013, 02:04 AM
Who is the cutie in the video???

Sorry I am just a dirty old man... LOL

She works for me.

skooter
07-18-2013, 02:40 AM
hmm, machine seems like such a mundane word to use. Of course it's a machine, it does mechanical labour. I was gunning for a more evocative word. Edifice can also mean a large or towering construct, even of thought. I think I'll give up now before I insult you further!

It's a Sheepstretcherthingamabobdoohickey™

;)

Black Forest
07-25-2013, 06:36 PM
Tomorrow I am going to try out my new version of my sheep shearing machine. It is not finished yet but the new table and leg restraints are in place and working. I will post some pictures and a video tomorrow if all goes well.

And if it doesn't go well you all are invited to the Barbeque! How do you like your lamb?