PDA

View Full Version : Fill in the blank Paul........ made all these Great things with his 618 Atlas Lathe!

flylo
06-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Last name starts with a K, I thought Kuhnin but cannot think of or find it. Help an old guy out. Whats Paul Ks last nane. He made all those wonderful miniture guns with minimum equipment. Thanks for thr help!

wierdscience
06-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Yup,Paul Kuhni

http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/shoptours/paulkuhni

Bob Fisher
06-01-2013, 09:38 PM
A Craftsman 6X18 was my only lathe for many years. It can do quality work if you respect it's limitations. A good tool post and sharp HSS tools help a lot as well. Bob.

sasquatch
06-01-2013, 09:39 PM
Yup, that's him, great workmanship , and a tiny little work area down under his house.Minimal equipment, also built his own rifling machine for the gun barrels.
Think i read somewere that he has since passed away?

flylo
06-01-2013, 11:24 PM
I have one I bought very well tooled for $149 & will never sell it. It's the last Craftman with the Timkin roller bearings and then my friend straight nortn in Canada hooked me up with collets, milling attachment & other treasures. This & my P/C potraband on a stand are fantastic tools.
I had a bar of ajum about 21/2" dia & just wanted to see how long a string I could make & was cutting both ways. I had over 10 gallons without a break & a friend I hired dumped it in the trash. I know stupid to tou but work of art to me. But I had just bought it & was learning the machine, feed rates, depth of cut. Etc