PDA

View Full Version : Gloat? Not sure....

lakeside53
06-02-2013, 12:20 AM
Local estate sale. 2 lumps of "plastic", $5 each.

The larger is 4.97 diameter x12.95 tall. Weights about 24lb (bathroom scale) and that makes it a SG of 2.18 if i believe the scale, so very close to PTFE. Feels like Teflon, so I'm going with PTFE for now... even though there are several similar "Flouro" plastics. I have a badly discolored tag that I'll photograph and try to enhance.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff150/lakeside53/DSC_3584Custom_zpsaa7a18be.jpg

I couldn't resist at that price. Now to figure out what do do with it :)

iMisspell
06-02-2013, 12:24 AM
I couldn't resist at that price. Now to figure out what do do with it :)yea... i have that disorder too... i dont even look at craigslist unless it is for a certon item... and when theres no money... no window shopping ether.

flylo
06-02-2013, 01:17 AM
I'm sure YOU REALLY SUCK! :p

LKeithR
06-02-2013, 02:35 AM
Yeah, for some reason that looks like teflon. Shouldn't be able to tell from just looking at a picture but that was what I thought when I first saw it. And I think UHMW and nylon 101 would both be lighter than that. Whatever it is it's a good score for that price--even better if it is teflon...

JRouche
06-02-2013, 02:49 AM
Yeah, you suck also. It is UHMW. I say UHMW cause Ive never seen a block of Tef that thick. There is no reason for a massive block of teflon like that. UHMW? Yep. alot. Nice score anyway.. JR

darryl
06-02-2013, 03:11 AM
Good score. I got one today- a pair of mirrors for my bike. I broke one a couple years ago, and I've just been living with it. Today I went to a garage sale and found them- $5 for the pair. Then it turned out to be 1/2 price between 12 and 2- just when I happened to be there.

winchman
06-02-2013, 03:28 AM
Well, I got a like-new pair of nice blue jeans in my exact size and the fit I like for a quarter at a yard sale Saturday, and the guy threw in a magnetic extending pickup tool for free.

lakeside53
06-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Yeah, you suck also. It is UHMW. I say UHMW cause Ive never seen a block of Tef that thick. There is no reason for a massive block of teflon like that. UHMW? Yep. alot. Nice score anyway.. JR

I still think this is Teflon - The specific gravity of UHMW is about 0.93-0.94 (less than water). This is 2.18 and in is the land of Boeing - lots of weird materials to be found.

As at Friday there were 6 more rounds just like what I bought. But.. I need a use for these first, and greed isn't a good reason ;)

Arthur.Marks
06-02-2013, 12:26 PM
The general impression is that plastics are "cheap"... until you need to buy raw stock for a project :eek: It always amazes me what it actually costs! I probably would have picked it up too for a fiver apiece. I have a larger round that is left over from something. I've found some good uses for it: electrical socket covers, a new key to replace the missing one for my nephew's "Cozy Coupe" :cool: Well worth having, lakeside53.

Jaakko Fagerlund
06-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Teflon is available in any diameter you wish, just like anything else. It just costs an arm and half a leg to obtain.

I once turned a Teflon piece that was 500 mm in diameter and a 700 mm long. It turned out to be a very large cone to be used when moulding some sewer tank. They used it as an insert to the mould and when the tank was solidified, they yanked it out to get the mould open. Teflon was the only material that repelled the plastic material they cast the tank from.

And it is a pain in the ass to attach, as the slippery surface is slippery.

vpt
06-02-2013, 04:28 PM
Nice score! I love having plastic around like that for certain projects!

Tony Ennis
06-02-2013, 05:53 PM
If those are Teflon, they are likely worth $500 each.

wierdscience
06-02-2013, 09:44 PM
As at Friday there were 6 more rounds just like what I bought. But.. I need a use for these first, and greed isn't a good reason ;)

Well:rolleyes: you could have bought them and passed the deal on to your friends on the HSM forum.....but then I guess you don't have any friends huh?:D:D

Blazemaster83
06-03-2013, 02:09 AM
ahh snap, I live in bothell and was out of town for the weekend. I actually have a use for the other 4, dang!

lakeside53
06-03-2013, 02:15 AM
I'll call in the morning and see if they are still there.

metalmagpie
06-12-2013, 05:10 PM
Now a week or so later. I went by for the after-scrounge. Someone had moved the remaining six rounds so they were partly concealed, but I got all six for a $20 bill. My question is: there are actually paper labels glued to the ends with writing on them. What kind of glue sticks to Teflon?

metalmagpie

cidrontmg
06-12-2013, 06:17 PM
Try Loctite Super Glue or Loctite CA. Gluing Teflon to Teflon won't work well, but gluing Teflon to most anything else (including paper, ali, nylon, etc.) works well enough.

lakeside53
06-12-2013, 10:05 PM
But the labels as applied don't stick very well. One of mine blew of in the truck, and the other fell off when I got it home.

macona
06-13-2013, 02:50 AM
There are ways to glue teflon. Heck, I have adhesive backed teflon tape. Pretty useful stuff.

metalmagpie
06-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Two of mine have labels that are legible enough to clearly see "PTFE". And all of mine are 5-1/4" OD.

Four of them fit very nicely in a milk crate.

metalmagpie