PDA

View Full Version : Make your own license plate

darryl
06-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Not by spending time in a prison fab shop-

I've wondered this a few times- as I near the point where my bike cargo container is nearly complete, I'm about to mount the plate. I don't really like the plate, and I'd rather make up one of my own- same letters and numbers, same stickers, same size and shape for the letters and numbers-

Can I legally do this, anyone know? I'm in Canada- that might make a difference.

brian Rupnow
06-02-2013, 06:28 PM
Darryl---I think its illegal to make your own license plate.----Brian

mklotz
06-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Isn't there a prison in Chilliwack? Do something to get yourself incarcerated and I'll bet they'll let you make all the license plates you want.

sasquatch
06-02-2013, 06:53 PM
Probably illegal.

Lol, saw two homemade plates over the years, one was cardboard, the other was thin plywood!!! lol

Kinda obvious.

flylo
06-02-2013, 06:55 PM
Make your own plate illegally, throw a fit with the cops & judge, go to prison & make your own plate legally.:eek:

GEP
06-02-2013, 07:09 PM
The late owner of apple computer had bar code instead of a plate

topct
06-02-2013, 07:19 PM
You would need to check the state or province rules for such a thing. I seem to have heard that it is possible here in certain of the states, but it is up to the individual state as to what you can do. Your laws will tell you what you can or cannot do.

A.K. Boomer
06-02-2013, 07:51 PM
yeah - just not seeing it go over too well as some people would be choosing the small case Inca letters combined with maybe the Mayan numerical code...

darryl
06-02-2013, 07:59 PM
I was thinking of using invisible writing :) Or maybe something that you could light up from behind- then it would show a different number- maybe the prime ministers :)

No, nothing like that. I can see though that license plate readers would probably not work right unless the plate was original- that alone would make it illegal.

I guess I'll do what we did a few years ago- make a custom holder and put the original plate in it. My friend came over and we made one for her bike- maybe I need a matching one-

oxford
06-02-2013, 08:20 PM
I don't really like the plate, and I'd rather make up one of my own- same letters and numbers, same stickers, same size and shape for the letters and numbers-

Ok I'm confused. If you are going to make it all the same, why are you wanting to make one in the first place?

CCWKen
06-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Ok I'm confused. If you are going to make it all the same, why are you wanting to make one in the first place?

That's what I was thinking. :confused:

hoof
06-02-2013, 09:03 PM
In Connecticut I have seen plenty of folks put together a wood or paper "temp" plate. But I have also heard the people who "make a registration sticker or inspection sticker" talk to the secert service guy's for countertfitting charges. They're not just about currency if I understand this right. I'd be inclined not to do this.

lazlo
06-02-2013, 09:38 PM
A friend of mine drives a Porsche, and he ordered boutique German license plates -- they're common on the 'Net. They have the correct Texas license plate numbers/letters, but it's the wide/thin black & white German license plate.

He's been stopped twice by APD, who bicker at him about the plates, but when the license and registration check out, they send him on his way without even a warning.

No clue how that translates to Canada. Probably has a lot to do with the mood the police are in when they stop you :)

Evan
06-02-2013, 09:40 PM
I have already made one for you Darryl. I'm sure it will pass casual inspection no problem.

http://ixian.ca/pics10/taxthis1.jpg

darryl
06-02-2013, 11:05 PM
Ha ha, Evan- I like it. But I think that probably would get me some unwanted attention from the Royally Mounted.

Why would I make it if it's going to look the same- the letters and numbers would look the same, but the rest of it would be different. There would be no slots and it would be thicker, with the mounting points built into it. It would have a finished-looking edge around it, and probably be made from fiberglass. I like 'Beautiful British Columbia'- I'd keep that, but I would probably like a picture of a BC lake on it.

It was just a thought.

Tony Ennis
06-02-2013, 11:19 PM
There are so many personalized/custom/advocacy tags in the states that it's hard to believe a competently made shop creation with valid numbers would draw any attention at all.

lazlo
06-02-2013, 11:39 PM
There are so many personalized/custom/advocacy tags in the states that it's hard to believe a competently made shop creation with valid numbers would draw any attention at all.

Random example:

http://www.myplates.com/
"Our plates are street legal and officially licensed by Texas Department of Motor Vehicles."

Evan
06-03-2013, 12:17 AM
As far as the law in BC goes, the only plate or plates you may and must display are they ones they give you, period.

darryl
06-03-2013, 01:03 AM
I've just been looking through this plate issue, and haven't found any legal issues regarding it. I did read a rather lengthy bit about where and by whom the plates are made, along with some suggestions that there's a code embedded in the paint- presumably for the benefit of the maker and having to do with the longevity of the plate. I went through a stack of custom plate designs, and also rejected designs- this last part having everything to do with the wording submitted. Things like 3PIGS didn't make it, FUGYU didn't make it- One thing I noticed is that the lettering is all regulation height and design- smaller for a motorcycle plate, but proportionately the same.

I don't wish to display a flag of any kind- that suggests an endorsement or allegiance to the governing body, which is a falsehood. I'm a law-abiding citizen, but that doesn't mean that I'm proud of the bunch of crooks that run the province. I'm proud to be a living being on the earth, and I respect the earth, not the cronies that regulate the **** out of everything and ensure their own fat wallets.

I'm willing to display my numbers visibly, and the name of the province. I pay for my licence and insurance, and I obey the rules of the road. I don't want to pay Wartstamp for the flimsy, ugly plate- I want the right to make my own if I choose to. Mini rant over. :)

DFMiller
06-03-2013, 02:38 AM
Darryl and Evan,
I recently saw a Porsche in Richmond with a stick on front plate. It was a overlay that had letters and the normal logo. There is no place for a license plate in that particular front bumper.
So it may be in fact possible for the front plate.
I guess a few emails and phone calls might get an answer.

Dave

DFMiller
06-03-2013, 02:42 AM
In fact a quick google seems to show you can get front bumper stick on from some of the exotic car dealers in Vancouver.
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/rennlist-canada/363347-bc-guys-anyone-running-a-sticker-license-plate.html

Dave

Evan
06-03-2013, 03:16 AM
The relevant information is in the Motor Vehicle Act. There is no provision for the use of number plates not issued by the Motor Vehicle Branch.

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/96318_01

MOTOR VEHICLE ACT
[RSBC 1996] CHAPTER 318

From "Definitions", "number plates" means the number plates issued under this Act as well as validation decals for attachment to number plates issued under this Act;

Number Plates

Schedule

Standards for the Approval of a Motor Vehicle

2 Number plates shall be mounted on a vehicle as required by Division 3 of the regulations.

The number plates shall correspond in number to the motor vehicle licence or trailer licence issued for the vehicle.
The vehicle shall not display any other number plate, numbering or lettering not required for the operation of the vehicle and which might be confused with the current number plates.

Division 3 — Display and Use of Number Plates

Prohibition
3.01 A person must not drive or operate a vehicle on a highway unless displayed on it are

(a) number plates in accordance with this Division, and
(b) if a validation decal is issued for attachment to a number plate, the validation decal in accordance with this Division.
[en. B.C. Reg. 279/2006.]

Attachment of number plates
3.011 Number plates issued for a vehicle under the Commercial Transport Act or Motor Vehicle Act must be attached

(a) one plate to the front and one plate to the rear of the vehicle, if 2 number plates are issued for a vehicle, and
(b) to the rear of the vehicle, if a single number plate is issued for a vehicle.

Attachment of validation decal
3.012 If a validation decal is issued under the Commercial Transport Act or Motor Vehicle Act for attachment to a number plate, it must be attached

(a) in the case of a motor vehicle licensed under the Commercial Transport Act that has a licensed gross vehicle weight exceeding 5 500 kg, to the place provided on the front number plate, or
(b) in the case of any other vehicle, to the place provided on the rear number plate.

Evan
06-03-2013, 03:23 AM
There is no place for a license plate in that particular front bumper.

If a judge tells you to mount one then there will be a place unless you don't want to drive it on the road anymore.

I should point out that most parts of the motor vehicle act are reverse onus. That means you are guilty unless you can prove yourself innocent. Not having a manufacturer provided spot for a number plate is not going to fly in court. All vehicles made to meet Canadian regulations have such a mounting point.

Edit: There are federal motor vehicle regulations as well as provincial.

GEP
06-03-2013, 06:51 AM
In michigan you can use any plate. You put it on the copier and send it to the secretary of state and they will register the number or what ever else is on the plate. It can be any color. The sticker ( yearly renewal sticker) is the important item. I have a car i bought new in 1972 back then we got a new plate every year or so. We had also stickers back then. At the time i changed plates with a new one i didnt think about keeping the plate from the year the car was made.
About 20 Years later some one in the car club asked me if i still had the original plate from the year i bought it. Well i didnt. I went on the hunt at swap meats and car shows till i fund the right plate. I copied it and send the copy to the state and i got that plate on the car now

bborr01
06-03-2013, 07:47 AM
In michigan you can use any plate. You put it on the copier and send it to the secretary of state and they will register the number or what ever else is on the plate. It can be any color. The sticker ( yearly renewal sticker) is the important item. I have a car i bought new in 1972 back then we got a new plate every year or so. We had also stickers back then. At the time i changed plates with a new one i didnt think about keeping the plate from the year the car was made.
About 20 Years later some one in the car club asked me if i still had the original plate from the year i bought it. Well i didnt. I went on the hunt at swap meats and car shows till i fund the right plate. I copied it and send the copy to the state and i got that plate on the car now

It has to be a plate that was issued for a vehicle to begin with. The state of Michigan allows this for classic cars.

Brian

needlenose
06-03-2013, 10:40 AM
The late owner of apple computer had bar code instead of a plate

If your talking about Steve Jobs, he actually had a very neat little scam with a leasing company to never have a license plate. He did this to avoid paparazzi and groupies.

http://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&q=steve+jobs+mercedes+no+license+plate&oq=steve+jobs+mercedes

http://jalopnik.com/5049431/steve-jobs-barcode-license-plate-mystery-has-been-solved

J. R. Williams
06-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Way back around 1914, you had to make your own license plate in Illinois using a number provided by the State. I used to have an early plate collection I sold about 30 years ago.

Ian B
06-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Interesting in the Netherlands; they've developed a special font that's more recognizable to speed cameras. Aren't we lucky. Here it is: http://www.dafont.com/kenteken.font

There are bits missing from the O, P and R to distinguish between these letters. Not sure if other countries do the same.

Ian

Bill736
06-05-2013, 09:48 PM
I read about a reflective clear coating that can be sprayed over a license plate that creates a glare when a traffic camera tries to take a flash photo of your plate. Apparently, even daytime photos use a flash. According to a test by some newspaper, it really does work.

saltmine
06-05-2013, 11:22 PM
I remember my first motorcycle, (well, the first one I owned). It was a 1952 Zundapp 250 two-stroke street bike. I paid a handsome price of $50 for it, cash, and actually rode it home. A harrowing night, with no headlamp or running lights. Counting every mile, lest the bike quit turning stale gasoline into forward motion. Once home, I quickly discovered the generator didn't work, and the battery had long since given up. The wiring was thoroughly eaten by whatever creatures lived in the previous owner's garage. Dry rotted tires aside, I set about the task of repairing everything I could. When it came to the missing license plate, I had to think a bit. A rectangle of cardboard and a set of pastel chalks soon had me a nice replica of the plate. two coats of clear lacquer made it almost indistinguishable from a real plate. I was a happy camper. The next day, I set out on my first real ride. Miles swept by, the 250 Zundapp engine purred along....until it got hot. Detonation set in and soon the rattle was deafening. I pulled over to the side of the road. Using the generous tool kit supplied with the Communist motorcycle, I found the problem. The exhaust port had swallowed the rings (both of them). Still using the tools on hand, I pulled the cylinder barrel, and removed the broken remnants of the rings, cleaned the spark plug, and re-assembled the engine. Fortunately, it actually fired on the fifth kick, and I turned around, and headed for home. It wasn't long before I encountered a hill, and with the power diminishing, topped the hill only to have the thing quit....again. This time diagnosis was easy, an aluminum coated spark plug, and NO compression. I'd burned a hole in the piston. Not to be denied my ride, I removed the spark plug, and proceeded to row the stricken motorcycle toward home, in fourth gear, with the kick starter. About a half-a-mile from home, a California Highway Patrol officer slid in behind me, and lit me up. I stopped (I'm not completely stupid, ya know). The officer was wanting to ask me why I was riding along, 20mph, with all of my lights turned off. I explained it was a new (to me) bike and I had some engine problems a few miles back. Then, his carefully trained eye fell upon the "license plate" which he seized for evidence. He wrote me a three page "fix it" ticket, and allowed me to go. Since the cost of making the repairs to make the bike legal would be excessive, I junked the bike at a local wrecking yard, and on my court date showed up to face the judge with a salvage document. I still got 30 days in jail.

Doc Nickel
06-06-2013, 12:12 AM
It has to be a plate that was issued for a vehicle to begin with. The state of Michigan allows this for classic cars.

-It's generally referred to as YOM, or 'year of manufacture' plates. Most states allow some form of this nowadays, to have a "period correct" plate on your hotrod or antique. 1932 plates, for the ubiquitous "Deuce coupes", are some of the most valuable, with collectors paying thousands for good-condition examples.

Alaska allows 'em, and I found a set of 1966 and 1972 plates for a couple of my cars. People get a kick out of 'em.

Doc.

Evan
06-06-2013, 01:03 AM
I read about a reflective clear coating that can be sprayed over a license plate that creates a glare when a traffic camera tries to take a flash photo of your plate. Apparently, even daytime photos use a flash. According to a test by some newspaper, it really does work.

It's illegal though.

darryl
06-06-2013, 01:46 AM
A co-worker just got a bill in the mail for crossing the new Port Mann bridge. He says he crossed back and forth three times- six crossings total. His bill came to $30 something. He thought it was too much, but he paid it. He hasn't crossed the bridge since. Then he got another bill for the same $30, plus a fine for not paying it. He called to get it straightened out, but couldn't get to talk to anybody. What a scam. Really makes you want to hide your plates-

lazlo
06-06-2013, 12:10 PM
In fact a quick google seems to show you can get front bumper stick on from some of the exotic car dealers in Vancouver.
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/rennlist-canada/363347-bc-guys-anyone-running-a-sticker-license-plate.html

We have a similar deal in Texas. I drive an M3, and the car is not built for a front license plate, which is required by Texas law. So the dealership asks you if you want them to modify the front bodywork to fit a license plate, and if you give the obvious answer, they throw the front license plate in the trunk.

I've never been stopped for not having a front license plate, and I've been through our toll tracking systems countless times, where they photograph the front of your car for billing purposes. I've heard that APD and State Police won't stop you for not having a front license plate (jurisdictional thing?), but that the Texas DoT cars can.

Clearly, YMMV in Canada, and it's probably local or regional.

laddy
06-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Spent about 4 hours at division of motor vehicles to have some 1953 tags assigned to my 1953 ford pick up. that was about 12 years ago. lst year I got stopped by a police man who would hear nothing of it and confiscated my plates. What a D*ck.

rohart
06-06-2013, 06:19 PM
What size of plate do you have to use in Canada ? In the States you are lucky to be able to have nice small plates. In the UK the legal font is so large I'm having difficulty deciding how to fit a plate to the rear of my bike. There's no point in my painting my rear mudguard/fender - you can't see it under the light and the plate.

A plate for an old bike here measures 7" wide by 6 1/2 " high, and the font is dreadful. The 'W' is almost a solid block, just three little arrow pieces into the solid. Vile ! The whole point is so a witness can read a receding number plate from a hit-and-run driver, but the font they force you into in the UK is so styleless you have to screw up your senses to recognise any meaning in it.

I liked that font from The Netherlands. But most of Europe has used pleasant and readable fonts for ages.

But I don't think the defence of 'Aesthetics' would wash in court, especially if the judge had thirty days up his sleeve !

Ridgerunner
06-06-2013, 08:02 PM

Something that might work is to mount a small slave flash or 2 in the bumper pointed at the plate. Any other flash would trigger the slave and overexpose or white out the plate.

Black_Moons
06-06-2013, 08:39 PM
I know what you do. Take legal plate, Take hammer and punch
Hammer and punch plate to desired shape. This was caused by an accident.
Next, you'll need some drywall mud and dyes. Apply dyed drywall mud over lisence plate as desired to recolor/redesign as desired.

This was also caused by accident and is just some dirt on the plate you forgot to wash off.

Black_Moons
06-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Something that might work is to mount a small slave flash or 2 in the bumper pointed at the plate. Any other flash would trigger the slave and overexpose or white out the plate.

I wonder about a flash combined with a projector slide. Maybe you can overlap new numbers into the photo.

Evan
06-06-2013, 09:00 PM
Our plates are coated with retroreflective clear paint. The flash makes them light up like the sun, day or night. It also helps a lot with laser speed meters. If it is fooled with in any way the plate will show up fairly dark but will often still be readable in photos. Then they can get you if they want and possibly charge you with messing with the plate. I don't know if they ever do but the option exists.