PDA

View Full Version : Chuck upsize

olcop
06-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Got a Grizzly G4000, came with a 4" chuck--inquiring if a 5 or 6" chuck could be mounted on this lathe.
Thanks for any help or advice
olcop

Bob Fisher
06-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Of course you can if it fits in the work envelope. Whether that's a good idea is open to question. For occasional light use it should be OK, but if you need a 5 or 6in chuck, you need a bigger lathe. I have a 6in 3 &4 jaw that I will occasionally use on my 9X20, but I do not leave it on because the lathe was not built to use that large a chuck. Bob.

olcop
06-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Thanks Bob,
That is the info I was looking for, the 4" is just too small , but, if it wont handle a bigger one, it'll have to do till I can afford a bigger lathe.
olcop

winchman
06-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Does this mean you're going to upchuck?

Arthur.Marks
06-08-2013, 07:04 PM
I agree with Bob for the most part; however, I wouldn't hesitate to put a true 5" 4-jaw independent chuck on one of those lathes. 6" 4-jaw would be out of the question, IMO. The overhang, weight, and possible interference with the jaws when fully extended are the reasons. I know it is cheezy looking when you're used to the usual captured screw independent chucks, but that "faceplate with jaws" ( the manufacturers call it a "4-jaw independent" -- and, to their credit, it technically is) that comes with the lathe is pretty right on for capacity. I wouldn't want to be putting a long, large OD workpiece for anything but minor turning on a 9x lathe. Shorter stuff, though, can definitely be done. That short "faceplate with jaws" (as I like to distinguish it as) is great for that because it has low mass, large OD gripping capacity, and thin overall depth. Just treat it more like a faceplate when mounting the work. That is, assume the jaws are not flat and aligned with the spindle. Stick a DTI on it and check often, finesse, repeat and finally tighten ...that kind of thing.