PDA

View Full Version : OT:(maybe) - Video Capture - Industrial Environment

Shuswap Pat
06-11-2013, 07:41 PM
I am trying to find a video system to monitor some equipment/process we have running. I tried a home security system but it did not have the capture rate. They are only 15/30 frames a second. The cameras were great, but it was the recorders that were the problem.
Here are the criteria:
I need 4 cameras, to record from different angles, simultaneously.
I would like to get 50-100 frames a second
It is an industrial environment (dust, temperature) so the equipment must be durable. Light levels are not super bright.
Simple to set-up in the field.
Record 8-24 hours, then reset.
I need a cost effective solution- we are not NASA so pricing is a factor .

Thanks

Patrick

CCWKen
06-11-2013, 08:19 PM
So, you want to go to the moon but want to use bottle rockets to get there. It ain't gonna happen on a beer budget. Anything over 30fps is considered high speed and those aren't cheap. You might also need special equipment to play over 60fps. You didn't mention how it was going to be viewed or used.

SteveF
06-11-2013, 08:44 PM
I've used Samsung's commercial grade equipment and something like their SRD-480D will record 4 cameras at full frame rate. There are other models that may also work. An enclosure with filtered forced air should be able to take care of any dust / temp issues. Since you gave us no clue on cost I'll let you do the research into pricing to see if that meets your definition of "cost effective solution".

Steve

Shuswap Pat
06-11-2013, 08:47 PM
The system is a Sawmill, and occasionally there is a jam up, of course when no one is watching. The intent is for be able to go back, and review the video is a problem has occurred, and then go back and try and determine the cause. I tried some surveillance cameras with various lens combinations that worked good to show us what we wanted. I just need a faster capture. These cameras were in the $300 range.

Patrick

macona
06-11-2013, 09:47 PM
Point Grey makes some little cameras that would do the trick. You might be able to get some used off ebay.

Evan
06-11-2013, 10:08 PM
Sounds like you need about 4 GoPro cameras. They will do everything and have waterproof cases too. Amazingly cheap.

http://gopro.com/

The cheapest one will do 720P at 60 frames per second.

The Hero3 Black edition will do 960P at 100 frames per second.

Paul Alciatore
06-12-2013, 01:55 AM
If this is a one time situation, there are places that rent video equipment. HD cameras, recorders, features like controllable shutter speed to help stop the motion. You may be talking about a few thousand dollars, but you get pro grade equipment.

As for keeping the dust and grit out, plastic bags and duct tape can work wonders. It has been used for decades at sporting events when it rains. Part of their basic kit. Run cables to the recorders in a safer environment or a truck in the field.

Sun God
06-12-2013, 04:52 AM
Evan that's a bloody top shelf idea. So much simpler than setting up a surveillance system - you have a failure, you just walk over, grab the appropriate GoPro, and view it right on the device. You could not have a simpler system. I would guess the only issue would be powering the units from mains power.

Shuswap Pat
06-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Evan - I have checked out the Gopro and they look pretty good. I don't kow if I can get a long enough recording time from them. In a perfect world it would be nice to have IP cameras, and we can log in to monitor the process.

Shuswap Pat
06-12-2013, 08:57 AM
Paul - We are looking at purchasing equipment so we can use it at diferent sites, and also for testing in the shop.

Shuswap Pat
06-12-2013, 09:00 AM
I've used Samsung's commercial grade equipment and something like their SRD-480D will record 4 cameras at full frame rate. There are other models that may also work. An enclosure with filtered forced air should be able to take care of any dust / temp issues. Since you gave us no clue on cost I'll let you do the research into pricing to see if that meets your definition of "cost effective solution".

Steve

Steve - What would the frame rates be?

ckelloug
06-12-2013, 11:57 AM
The gopros will do something like 4 hours of video. I just saw them at costco and they were something near $200 each if memory serves me. The are also fixed focus so they probably don't capture closeups well.

davidh
06-12-2013, 12:16 PM
we bought one of those gopro cameras, $500. it worked for about 4 minutes and quit. worked again for about a minute and couldn't download the file. . . . it went back. i'd try something else if it were me.

Evan
06-12-2013, 12:48 PM
With your stated budget the only camera available is the GoPro. What nails it is the housing. With a 32 gig card you should get reasonably long recording times. About the only thing better would be the 3D GoPro. It is amazing how much more information can be gained from moving events using 3D. I know because I recently purchased a 3D Video camera.

HD 720P video (1280 pix wide) at 30fps on a 32 gig card gives about 3 hours of video.

SteveF
06-12-2013, 01:01 PM
Steve - What would the frame rates be?

The cameras would record at 30 fps and this DVR will accept 4 cameras at that frame rate.
You'll have to download the document and sift through for other specs. Also, you can connect this DVR into the router at the factory and view the video from any PC on the network.

https://www.samsung-security.com/en/products/video-recording-and-management/dvr/4-channel/SRD-480D.aspx

Steve

Paul Alciatore
06-12-2013, 03:31 PM
The gopros will do something like 4 hours of video. I just saw them at costco and they were something near $200 each if memory serves me. The are also fixed focus so they probably don't capture closeups well.

It may not be a perfect solution, but adding a positive lens in front of the camera's existing, fixed focus lens will allow you to do closer distances. You can experiment with inexpensive, single element lenses to find the correct focal length for the added lens and then buy an achromatic lens or other better one for use. Edmund Scientific or Anchor Optics have lenses and you can machine a mount, can't you?

Or, if you have all the details, like the focal length of the existing lens and the distance it's focus is set for, then the correct size add-on lens can be calculated. I or several others here should be capable of doing this calculation.