PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Pump for Log Splitter

rws
06-20-2013, 08:59 AM
I used to have a 753 Bobcat, for which I built a log splitter that mounted in place of the bucket, and it was connected to the hydraulics of the Bobcat via hose and quick couplings. Well, the Bobcat had to go, and I bought a Kubota L2550, but it does not have a remote hook-up.

The PTO drive pumps are very pricey. I have seen a chain and sprocket driven pump used before, and 11GPM pumps aren't that expensive. The chain driven pump was done since the PTO on that tractor was only a 550RPM. Mine has two speeds, up to 1100RPM. And I need a tank, since the Bobcat was the tank before!

So my thought was to fab a tank mounted such that it connected to the 3 point hitch, then direct drive the pump off the PTO shaft. I know a u-joint or similar would be needed plus a flexible coupling, but it sure would be handy to have the tank/pump as a unit, hook it up, then connect the splitter via the quick couplings it already has.

Thoughts please?

Abner
06-20-2013, 09:45 AM
I finally gave up and bought a wood splitter because of the costs for all the components and even more so the logistics of 'processing'. I looked into running off of my tractor either PTO or it's hyd. system and decided against it. I could buy a complete already built system for just my cost on the valve, pump, cylinder, and (honda) gas engine.

I sat down and took a hard look at fire wood making and here is what I came up with. Trees fall down faster than I can burn them up. Here on the wet side of Oregon wood left in the forest rots very fast, so getting them in the dry saves them from waste. I had a unused 30x 96' greenhouse. I cut all my logs at 8'-12' and deck them on one side of the green house effectively stopping the rotting process. So my log pile can range @ 5'tall x 96' long. I have a 12' conveyor so that after I split the wood it gets carried to the other side and loosely piled. I went with a separate splitter for the ability to move it close to the pile as I work my way down it's length. Anymore I just leave it loosely piled until I need it. I load wood pallets, which I move with my tractor forks. My pallets are open sided and roughly 3' deep, 5' wide, 3'tall. I have 5 of these I use in rotation to supply my house and shop. Splitting is a small part of making firewood my guess is less than 20%.

Anyone who cuts a lot of wood can attest to the constant moving of chunks. Rounds to the splitter, split pieces away from the splitter, piling to dry, etc. etc. It seems endless. The conveyor is a godsend, it piles it roughly 5' high. It is on 2 slightly off center wheels 2.5' off the ground so it can be easily moved by just me. Hope this helps.

Here is the least expensive place I have found for hydraulic parts. They have the all the parts you will need.

http://www.surpluscenter.com

davidh
06-20-2013, 11:50 AM
does the new kobata not have any hydr. accessories ? ie, front end loader, mower lift or mower drive ? on my ol tractor with a good front end loader, I just tapped in with disconnects at the hydr. valve that operated the loader. when splitting, the loader was inoperatable. valve on the log splitter was open center so the tractor kinda idled, and fluid just kept circulation until you pushed / pulled the splitter valve.
this would be an interesting project here on the farm. . .
post a few pictures of the tractor. . .

rws
06-20-2013, 01:20 PM
This is not a new tractor, a late 80's model, but it does have a front loader. Still, I don't think the tractor's pump has the gpm's. The splitter has a 4" cylinder, and it may take a long time to make a stroke!

In the scenario I wrote above, I commented on a u-joint, but I'm not sure I would need one. Anyway, I'll need to find a tank, in the link Abner gave to surpluscenter, I saw where they recommend a tank that is equal to the GPM's of the pump, at a minimum.

duckman
06-20-2013, 02:30 PM
Unless the pump your thinking of is designed for a PTO drive you will probably wish you went with a separate engine and pump designed for a log splitter. My 22 ton Tractor Supply is awsum I've tried to stall it with some really gnarly stuff it, the ram just slows down a little and the pump goes into high pressure, it may take a few seconds longer to split but I've never been able to stall it. As an aside my Kabuto BX series is about 5 GPM and 1,850 PSI.. A log splitter pump has 2 sections in it 1 high volume low pressure , the other high pressure and low volume, in low volume when pressure gets to about 600 PSI it shifts into high pressure.

cameron
06-20-2013, 03:36 PM
Same experience with the TSC splitter . $1000 on sale made building something in that size range for the tractor a no-go for me.

jim davies
06-20-2013, 05:02 PM
No idea where you are located, and the type of trees there, but here in the great white north, the land of the pine pecker pole, it doesn't take much pressure to crack firewood. I got one of those funny chicom 110 volt splitters as a joke 6-7 years ago and it still works great. It's got hundreds of hours on it now.

I have an old L-series Kubota tractor and just tapped into the 3 point hitch hydraulics to run my post pounder. Works great. I haven't tried running my 4" hydraulic stump puller or winch off it yet because I have two other power packs, but it looks like the cycle speed would be OK. At the cost of tapping into the system, it seems foolish not to give it a try.

Abner
06-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Here is a link that might prove useful in your quest.

http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php

Seastar
06-21-2013, 04:56 PM
This is the best and fastest log splitter ever designed and built.
I have one designed for the three point hitch on my JD tractor.
I would post a picture but I am in Indianapolis and the splitter is in Ely.
http://www.thestickler.com/
You could probably adapt this to your tractor.
Bill

coalsmok
06-21-2013, 05:19 PM
I machined out two of the screw types for a engineer at work. Tried one in the lathe and have to admit that around 500 rpm it split wood fast but scared the crap outa me. Talk about a accident waiting to happen.

cameron
06-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Thinking of the possible consequences, I'm still not convinced those are not a macabre joke.

Toolguy
06-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Yep - I will never get one of those because if you ever got your arm, leg or anything else caught on it you would probably get maimed or killed before you could turn it off.

Seastar
06-21-2013, 06:59 PM
I have several machines that are more dangerous.
How about a one HP wire wheel? Almost took my finger off.
You must be careful of anything that rotates and is powerful.
I have been using my log splitter for 10 years without difficulty.
I have modified it for safety and it has a shut down switch at the operating point.
I can split more wood in a shorter time than any other splitter I have tried.
Bill

jdunmyer
06-21-2013, 08:11 PM
I had a Stickler years ago, adapted to the rear of a John Deere Model 'B' tractor. Had a rope attached to the hand clutch lever for emergency shutdown. Never needed it.

Biggest problem was that it was so low to the ground that it was a back-breaker, and that was 30 years ago when I was lots younger.

As scary as they look, I don't think many people have been injured by them.

CCWKen
06-21-2013, 08:26 PM
If you have a loader there should be enough gpm to run a splitter. Loaders take a lot since they're designed to run four cylinders at once. But you should be able to tell by looking at the lines/hoses. If the loader control feed (pressure) line is at least 3/4" you'll have the gpm needed.

Abner
06-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Here is the data on your tractor's hydraulic system.
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/001/2/9/1294-kubota-l2550.html

Being able to run a splitter cylinder is one thing, cycle time is another. My splitter has a two stage pump- high flow/low pressure for fast cycling, high pressure/low flow for getting through tough spots. It will cut 4" dry fir knots perpendicular :).

Again splitting is only 1 step of a multi-step process. Waiting on a slow cylinder will add enormously to the time your spend, something to think about in the total package of making firewood.

This guy has a relatively cheap and effective system - worth the watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTbDh-QaafQ

CCWKen
06-23-2013, 08:23 PM
That tractordata link is for the tractor hydraulics only. FELs normally will be driven off a separate pump and not indicated in the data. I would expect to see at least a 15-20+gpm auxiliary pump on a tractor with a FEL. That's plenty enough to drive a 4" cylinder. And speedy too! About 3-4 seconds for full extension on 4x24" cylinder on the high end.

JeffKranz
06-24-2013, 07:30 AM
I decided years ago to build a log splitter. I think when I was done, it would have been cheaper to purchase one from Tractor Supply. I must say, I really like the unit and told my wife that is only one of the three things to pass on to the kids after I check out. I really enjoy splitting fire wood with it. It is like mental therapy for me.

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp304/woodzy9370/splitter3.jpg (http://s422.photobucket.com/user/woodzy9370/media/splitter3.jpg.html)

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp304/woodzy9370/splitter2.jpg (http://s422.photobucket.com/user/woodzy9370/media/splitter2.jpg.html)

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp304/woodzy9370/splitter1.jpg (http://s422.photobucket.com/user/woodzy9370/media/splitter1.jpg.html)

Seastar
06-24-2013, 09:33 AM
This UK model looks like mine after I modified it. Mine is a Stickler.
It's too bad the tort laws have almost stopped the manufacturer of these.
They work very well and are safe if used properly. Probably safer than a lathe or mill.
http://www.hycrack.co.uk/
Bill

Abner
06-24-2013, 09:40 AM
JeffK- Nice work! I bet you love that lift table. Mine is the same - powered wedge, and will tip vertical for rolling rounds to it as it has no lift, but leaves you balled up sitting on a bucket. I agree with the therapeutic aspects, makes one wonder what is missing in daily work, maybe too many distractions.

CCW- I have two tractors with loaders that I bought new and there was never any distinction between tractors for which you could add loaders and those you could not, nor was there any additional or larger pumps listed as required. I have no idea where you are getting your information but in all fairness to helping the OP design and build something "guessing" about pumps and volumes is not helpful in my opinion.

Black Forest
06-24-2013, 10:31 AM
JeffK- Nice work! I bet you love that lift table. Mine is the same - powered wedge, and will tip vertical for rolling rounds to it as it has no lift, but leaves you balled up sitting on a bucket. I agree with the therapeutic aspects, makes one wonder what is missing in daily work, maybe too many distractions.

CCW- I have two tractors with loaders that I bought new and there was never any distinction between tractors for which you could add loaders and those you could not, nor was there any additional or larger pumps listed as required. I have no idea where you are getting your information but in all fairness to helping the OP design and build something "guessing" about pumps and volumes is not helpful in my opinion.

On all my John Deere tractors there is no auxiliary pump to drive the front loader.

CCWKen
06-24-2013, 11:07 PM
My Ford 3910 has one and so does the JD420C. So perhaps you don't own the world.

cameron
06-24-2013, 11:54 PM
One thing to consider before deciding to go to a tractor mounted splitter: When you're set up for splitting, you can't use the tractor for something else.

Depending on how you work, and what other equipment you have, that could be a big drawback, or none at all.

Black Forest
06-25-2013, 01:45 AM
Do you need to go to the woods and split wood? Do you have 220 volts available where you would normally split your wood? If so electric motors in the 5hp to 10hp are not that expensive and would be much more convenient to use.

You wouldn't be putting the wear and tear on your tractor and the noise factor for me is an issue.

jdunmyer
06-25-2013, 07:33 AM
I have a hydraulic power unit with a 15Hp electric motor spinning the pump. It's used to operate the feedworks motor on my sawmill, and I used to have a 3-way valve to switch it to the log splitter. Worked great, and has the low-noise advantage that B.F. mentions above.

Abner
06-25-2013, 09:44 AM
I forgot that aspect, and it was part of the decision. Running a tractor engine vs. running a smaller honda engine (or electric) for splitting wood. Which engine do you want to put the wear on? I just dropped @$60.00 for just 2 filters for my JD, and running a 46 hp engine when I can get by with 5. Also what RPM do you need to run your tractor to get full flow? There should be a pump curve available where you can design for a certain RPM. Fuel use will also enter as a cost....more and more factors to consider....