PDA

View Full Version : OT. Any good degreasers out there?

oxford
06-20-2013, 09:38 PM
Anybody know of any good engine type degreasers out there? I am looking for something that can be sprayed on and minimal scrubbing and then washed off with water. There used to be stuff we used at the car dealership I worked at that was like this and worked pretty well. I am pretty sure it was Ardex brand 5214. I have to see if I can find a dealer for it but in the mean time I was wondering what else is out there. Thanks.

garyhlucas
06-20-2013, 09:47 PM
Anybody know of any good engine type degreasers out there? I am looking for something that can be sprayed on and minimal scrubbing and then washed off with water. There used to be stuff we used at the car dealership I worked at that was like this and worked pretty well. I am pretty sure it was Ardex brand 5214. I have to see if I can find a dealer for it but in the mean time I was wondering what else is out there. Thanks.

Try the Castrol SuperClean? product. I degreased two entire CNC mills with it and it did a very good job. It is a high pH product, doesn't touch steel, but it dulls aluminum and will also dull paint if left too long.

Gary H. Lucas

Dr Stan
06-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Simple Green and Purple Power both work well.

RussZHC
06-20-2013, 10:11 PM
+ for both Simple Green and Castrol SuperClean...there also used to be a series of products meant specifically for cleaning engines that were used, IIRC, while the engine was still warm some of which foamed w the disappearance of the foam showing it was time to rinse it down [not sure of the generic chemical names involved...the ones I am thinking of were sort of "house branded" at Canadian Tire]

gcude
06-20-2013, 11:03 PM
The best I've used for spray on wash off is Zep Ultra or Industrial Purple. Was getting it at Sam's Club, but it was not to be found there last time I looked. Here's a link to it online.

http://www.amazon.com/ZEP-GAL-PURPLE-INDUSTRIAL-CLEANER/dp/B004QB23Y0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371783486&sr=8-1&keywords=zep+ultra+purple

Be careful around painted surfaces. Leaving it on for more than a minute and it starts stripping the paint.

MichaelP
06-21-2013, 11:09 AM
+10 on Industrial Purple. Home Depot carries it too.

topct
06-21-2013, 11:22 AM
I have been using Easy Off spray on oven cleaner. HOWEVER! You must use the "cold" oven formula. Says "fume free" on the can. I'd be careful around paint, won't hurt powder coat. I've had it on my hands without any problem although I'd recommend gloves.

oxford
06-21-2013, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the replies. As far as simple green and purple power, I like both of them and they have there uses however compared to the Ardex stuff I was talking about it would be like using water. I'll take a look into the others.

Mike Amick
06-21-2013, 07:06 PM
I ordered some 2 part top coat from the por15 guys. ( to spiff up my mill ) Just for the heck
of it, I ordered some of their Marine Clean .. I have used a lot of products like this .. but I have
to say .. this stuff was amazing.

http://www.por15.com/Preparation-Products/products/2/

wierdscience
06-21-2013, 07:21 PM
I have tried them all and so far this is the best I have found bar none-

http://dab-a-do.com/heavyduty.html

$15/gallon,but mixed 50/50 with water it will etch Aluminum and Galvanized.Mixed 60/40 it will liquify and loosen 20 year old dried on coolant and grease.

I use it in a spray bottle mixed 90/10 with water to degrease parts before welding,works like a champ.No affiliation,just a happy customer.

They also make some of the best hand cleaner around too.

jdunmyer
06-21-2013, 08:01 PM
Pour a small box of Tide into a bucket of warm water, stir until dissolved. Apply to warm engine with a paint brush. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes, then rinse off, warm water preferred.