PDA

View Full Version : Ot-hbot

flylo
07-10-2013, 09:23 PM
HyperBaric Oxygen Treatment Chamber. I've been reading up on this & am amazed by the many benefits this has for the human body. You can rent or buy chambers for home use but why not make one? I used to dive & knew about them for th bends but had no idea about the other uses. Basiclly get in a sealed chamber & fill with pure oxygen with pressure from 2 to 4 atmosperes. As I understand it welding oxygen is more pure than medical. I have an oxygen generator from a 12 bay muffler shop, a chamber can be made from plastic but I have a 325 gallon propane tank. Anyone here ever use or build one? From what I read a lot of people are starting to use these at home. As always any & all positive ideas & comments welcome & appreciated! (Gunther this means please keep your negitives & slurs to yourself or I'll post your rude & uncalled for PMs & e-mails) Thanks!

lakeside53
07-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Plastic tank large enough for occupancy and 4 Bar? pure oxygen? nice bomb :-)

In a prior lifetime, with multiple decompression dive a day I scrubbed on pure oxygen at 33ft, but only with safety diver present. Hyperbaric chamber treatment was 4 hours away by helicopter flying at a couple of hundred feet max.

Never mind it's enhanced combustible attributes, oxygen is of course poisonous at pressure so many safety concerns to be addressed. Here's a decent article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_toxicity

flylo
07-10-2013, 10:13 PM
Here's a good link also http://www.hyperbaric-oxygen-info.com/hyperbaric-oxygen.html

Here's a link for home use models http://www.newtownehyperbarics.com/hyperbaricchambers.html

I'm not saying it's the right thing to build, I'm just getting info from you guys that know more about it than me.

john hobdeclipe
07-10-2013, 10:21 PM
While not exactly hyperbaric, pure oxygen was used early in the Apollo program, until they learned that it could have some extremely unhealthy consequences.

lakeside53
07-10-2013, 10:35 PM
And that was only 4psi IIRC!

ironmonger
07-10-2013, 11:02 PM
The deal with medical oxygen is more in the cylinder than the gas. The oxygen that shows up in off-site filled cylinders is rated NF which stand for National Formulary.

This certifies that the gas is stored in CLEAN AND CERTIFIED cylinders. The gas may well be the same.

The oxygen concentrators I am familiar with, mine is a PSA type, are rated at minimum 95% oxygen.

The hyperbaric chambers that I have been involved with were fed with bulk NF storage systems, and the systems utilize a flow though operation with no CO2 scrubbing. You need a lot of oxygen, and you do have to be mindful of the flammability of materials in pure oxygen. 2 atmospheres is 28 psi, and the partial pressure of atmospheric oxygen is roughly 3 psi. Your system will have roughly 9 times the oxygen available for nasty surprises. I don't' remember what they did for anti static measures... and don't forget the humidification.

Plastic tanks... dunno about that, but we used to fill gallon bottles with acetylene and oxygen... one well placed shot and boom... lotsa fun at night.

Stay safe and well

Paul
medical gas installer instructor 12 years
medical gas installer 42 years

GNM109
07-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Ahh, you don't smoke, do you?

dp
07-10-2013, 11:27 PM
Be sure to put two doors on it - one opening inward, and one opening outward, cuz you just can't predict the balance of pressure when you're ready to come out. I mean, what could go wrong? :)

flylo
07-10-2013, 11:28 PM
I found a article about a doctor that had a home built one & used it for years that exploded & blew him into, well, confetti:(

Black Forest
07-11-2013, 12:14 AM
We sent a horse to a racehorse recuperation facility that had a chamber for horses. It really helped to heal a leg injury on our horse. The horse stayed at the place for a month and came home sound.

flylo
07-11-2013, 12:36 AM
BF, I sure hope it works on my foot.

Black_Moons
07-11-2013, 12:43 AM
Plastic tank large enough for occupancy and 4 Bar? pure oxygen? nice bomb :-)

Nahhh its perfectly safe.. as long as your inside when it ruptures! its the people outside that are going to have a bad day! j/k.

aostling
07-11-2013, 04:19 AM
HyperBaric Oxygen Treatment Chamber ... Anyone here ever use or build one?

Evan may be building one soon, I think. His comments will be of great interest.

John Stevenson
07-11-2013, 04:37 AM
Evan may be building one soon, I think. His comments will be of great interest.

Will you be able to hear him from inside it ?

Weston Bye
07-11-2013, 09:00 AM
Saw a report about a Navy pilot that applied Chap Stick to his lips before suiting up for a flight. Wound up with a brief fire contained inside his oxygen mask.

browne92
07-11-2013, 10:19 AM
I worked in medical when this was relatively new to the medical field. They found out that at higher pressure, the plasma would carry oxygen in addition to what the red blood cells would carry. Back then it was called Hyper Baric Oxygenation, or HBO, until the insurance companies complained that they would not pay for cable TV. :) The first one our hospital had was a big two chamber tank, a larger laydown section for the patient, and a smaller seated tank for the nurse. The two chambers could be brought up or down separately. I'm guessing this was brought over from the diving community. Later, they got a smaller chamber from Sechrist, which amounted to a large clear plastic tube that the patient layed in. We always figured if there was a fire in the damned thing, it would just shrink wrap around you and they'd throw the whole thing in the ground.

As I recall, they had a patient code in the big tank, and in the process of trying to get the nurse to the same pressure and then get them both out of the tank, they gave the nurse the bends. Don't know if I'd want to try this in a home brew configuration.

Michael Edwards
07-11-2013, 12:20 PM
I spent a lot of time breathing oxygen in a chamber back in my commercial diving days. You breathe the oxygen through a mask. The chamber is filled with air. You have constant flow of air through the chamber to keep the oxygen level in check. The person running the chamber keeps tabs on you and the oxygen level in the air as it exits the chamber.

ME

Black_Moons
07-11-2013, 02:07 PM
I spent a lot of time breathing oxygen in a chamber back in my commercial diving days. You breathe the oxygen through a mask. The chamber is filled with air. You have constant flow of air through the chamber to keep the oxygen level in check. The person running the chamber keeps tabs on you and the oxygen level in the air as it exits the chamber.

ME

Likey a lot cheaper that way, No need for hundreds of cubic feet of pure oxygen to be vented every time you drop the pressure. Not to mention safer with less chance of spontanious human combustion.. :P

dp
07-11-2013, 03:13 PM
No chili beans the day before.

flylo
07-11-2013, 06:26 PM
If I made one I'd do it with a mask. Hospitals pressurize with 100% oxygen. This is the chamber I hope to use. I was approved by my team of doctors & see the HBC docs tomorrow.

http://www.borgess.com/default.aspx?pId=1857

ME

Michael Edwards
07-11-2013, 06:57 PM
You will also want to study up on oxygen toxicity. For a while we were diving with surface supplied nitrox, think 6-pak of full size gas bottles. A few times we wound up working deeper than we should have for the given mix and the result was tunnel vision. When you field of view got down to about half of normal, you would go up hill for awhile until it normalized, then back down hill. We were diving for sea cucumbers by Bremerton Wa.

ME

macona
07-11-2013, 07:07 PM
Medical and welding O2 is filled from the same source, liquid oxygen in massive dewars. What is different is the bottles, they are used for O2 and O2 only and there is a purity monitor system on the line that fills the tanks. There is also a traceable paper trail. When I worked at airgas we had a fill plant in the shop i worked at and they has set up to do medical O2.

flylo
07-11-2013, 07:14 PM
I used to dive but only to 100' or so. I still have my gear & I used dual 150 steels. It all weighed about 200#.
Your diving job sounds like fun. My son & I were certified on his 13th birthday in Gilboa Oh in a flooded quarry which had a sunken airplane to swim thru, a school bus, truck, motorcycle,etc. I have a picture of us sitting on the bus 40' down with ballons & a happy birthday sign.

Michael Edwards
07-11-2013, 07:20 PM
Sounds like a cool place to dive. I haven't been in the water in a decade, how time flies.

ME

flylo
07-11-2013, 07:23 PM
I'm all done & should sell the gear. Ad Will trade dive gear for HyperBaric Chamber.:rolleyes:

Errol Groff
07-11-2013, 08:52 PM
how time flies.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flys like a banana!

lakeside53
07-11-2013, 09:13 PM
I'm all done & should sell the gear. Ad Will trade dive gear for HyperBaric Chamber.:rolleyes:

I still have all mine.. sans tanks (different DOT around the world.). Even have a nice HP regulator with alcohol cups for ice diving... Wonder if I can get into that wet suit anymore? ;) Yep.. I should probably give mine all way - it's been 25 years...

flylo
07-11-2013, 09:53 PM
I dove 5 years ago before breaking my back & had just upgraded to this rig, all top shelf. The reg is freeze proof. No fun when a reg goes bad at 100'. Kinda like when the plane sputters a 100'. Or after a great freefall you pull the handle & get a streamer.Oh Sh*t!:o

flylo
07-12-2013, 10:45 PM
Here's a link to what I'd like to build. Today I was approved for the HBOT treatment at a suprising cost of $90,000. Just waiting on the insurance approval. $3000 per 2 hour session WOW!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151080808668?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2F m.html%3Fnma%3Dtrue%26item%3D151080808668%26si%3DN pHTjPbIGGCeihAwu4XdIlJUlKk%25253D%26orig_cvip%3Dtr ue%26_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_ssn%3Dshumel9%26_ nkw%3D151080808668%26_rdc%3D1

skooter
07-13-2013, 02:55 AM
Breathing pure O2 is one thing. I've seen lightly oiled cloth self-combust (ignited by static within itself) in an oxygen rich environment. You won't get me anywhere near the inside of a pressurised oxygen container.

Self-immolation is not really my thing